What's new

Shark Blades Chrome vs. Stainless

I have tried Shark Super Chrome and Super Stainless blades.
I thought the chrome were smooth, not very sharp but does a nice job. They make a good daily shave blade. The Super Stainless are horrible, just felt like it was tearing at my skin really bad blades. I liked the chrome enough that when I found them for $.05/blade, I bought 100.

Last week, I opened up a 5 blade package and started shaving. It was terrible, I couldn't believe I had purchased a 100 of these blades. I tried it for 3 days before finishing last shave with Gillette yellow. I was so disappointed.

Then today I looked at the blade and it was marked "Super Stainless." I took out more blades from the packs and they were all "Super Chrome". I tried one, and it was like heaven. Apparently, they had placed a SS blade within the Chrome pack. Hopefully, it was a one off. I am now a happy shaver again. Since I hadn't realized the blade was SS it was a good blind test between the 2 Shark blades.
Has this happened to anyone else?

Nope! I tried three Shark species (SC, SC and Platinum) during B&B Shark Week!

I am waiting for this year’s SHARK WEEK (Starting August 9th) coinciding with Discovery Channel’s annual Shark Week to clarify my recollection.

PLEASE Join the Fun!! :clap: :clap:

I am a fan of Super Stainless and have never tried the others. I found it very sharp and very smooth and now consider it one of my favorite blades. As I recall, I shaved with one Shark Super Stainless for the whole month of February and only the last week or so was found lacking. Sorry your experiences with this blade are so much different than mine. Blades are definitely a YMMV experience. Maybe I will try the Super Chrome and Platinum versions at some point.

I've tried a Shark SS. My results were not too different from yours. I haven't tried a Shark SC, but I have tried Lord SC and Platinum blades, which some claim are just the Shark SC and Platinum blades in different packaging. I really liked them. In fact, I liked them enough to buy 100 blades of each.

I also bought a 100 pack of Asco Platinums for $5 a while back. Like Shark, the Asco blades are also made by Lord. I liked these blades as well, but found them to be just a hair below their Lord counterparts. That said, they still provided me with some great BBS shaves.

The Shark SS was my go to blade for over a year until I picked up a tuck of the Super Chromes. It wasn't because the shaves with the SS were bad but that the shaves with the SC's were much smoother and better. I am an every 2-3 day shaver and only use 1 razor, Timeless Ti95DC, and with these blades I just don't have enough stubble in 24hrs to shave again, in fact I don't have enough stubble at the 36hr mark!! I will say its very comforting to know that everytime I pick up my razor I will get a high quality shave that matches the last shave and the one's before that!! Life is much more simplifies since finding this combo... The SC is the blade I hold all others that I try to...

I have also been using Silver Star's and to me very much like the Shark SC's and have tried the Lord counterparts to both Shark blades and didn't find them to be the same and liked the Sharks much better, but as they say....YMMV....

The Shark SS was my go to blade for over a year until I picked up a tuck of the Super Chromes. It wasn't because the shaves with the SS were bad but that the shaves with the SC's were much smoother and better. I am an every 2-3 day shaver and only use 1 razor, Timeless Ti95DC, and with these blades I just don't have enough stubble in 24hrs to shave again, in fact I don't have enough stubble at the 36hr mark!! I will say its very comforting to know that everytime I pick up my razor I will get a high quality shave that matches the last shave and the one's before that!! Life is much more simplifies since finding this combo... The SC is the blade I hold all others that I try to...

I have also been using Silver Star's and to me very much like the Shark SC's and have tried the Lord counterparts to both Shark blades and didn't find them to be the same and liked the Sharks much better, but as they say....YMMV....

Congratulations! Nice when you find ’your’ set-up, then are smart enough to stick with it!! :a21:

I was having my Shark SS shave today and was thinking about stocking up on 1000 of these, but I am worried that they might go bad or something.

It works great in all the razors I have tried it in, but I especially like it in the Yintal Bronze.

This blade has never nicked me or given me trouble, is it perhaps less wide than other blades? I don't know.

I thought that Shark SS was excellent for quite a while. I happened on a good deal for some Super Chrome and I thought I'd give it a whirl.

.....and it looks like I will be PIF ing my ~100 SS to my son.

Nope! I tried three Shark species (SC, SC and Platinum) during B&B Shark Week!

I am waiting for this year’s SHARK WEEK (Starting August 9th) coinciding with Discovery Channel’s annual Shark Week to clarify my recollection.

PLEASE Join the Fun!! :clap: :clap:
SHARK WEEK!!
BrewsterRockitSharks.jpg

Shark Chromes are far sharper and smoother than the Stainless. I purchased what was advertised on EBay as SuperChromes but I received Stainless. They were horrible. Returned them to the deceptive seller for a refund.

I do like SS, though I get only 2 good shaves. Then I got Chrome by mistake and I do NOT like them at all, they pull and drag, makes for a painful shave--never finished one shave w em
Same here.

I bought 25 Chromes and threw out 23 of them. They were awful and turned me right off Sharks until recently.

I tried a gifted SS recently and loved it. The two blades (Chromes and Stainless) are like night and day to me. I bought 200 SS. They are an inexpensive blade which is a bonus.

Reading the different experiences with Shark blades. Great example of YMMV.
I think that there are some bad tucks out there too though. I bought a tuck from Greece once, and, although not horrible, they felt like my regular Shark SS blades after 4 or 5 uses, quite draggy.

And these were not necessarily fake, but probably heat and/or moisture had gotten to them.

I began my DE journey by using 100 Shark SS blades. They were great for me at the time as a beginner. I would usulay get 3-4 shaves per blade. Then I began to experiment with other blades, and I quickly discovered there were better blades out there. I eventully tried Shark SC due to many positive reviews, but they didn't work for me. I prefer SS over SC but I don't see a reason for myself to buy Shark blades again.

Shark Chromes are far sharper and smoother than the Stainless. I purchased what was advertised on EBay as SuperChromes but I received Stainless. They were horrible. Returned them to the deceptive seller for a refund.
With my whiskers it is the other way round. The Super Stainless is sharper than the Super Chrome. I have used both in more than 5 razors and don't have a particular preference. I use both, but for the Super Chrome have to use an aggressive razor.

I tried one Shark SS and one Shark SC from a sample pack of 5 each. I have medium beard growth, maybe slightly under medium.
The SC gave me 3 good shaves then started tugging heavily on the 4th shave, very bad shave then, they seemed to have dulled a lot.
The SS gave me 7 good smooth shaves, which is what i get from most blades, and i could try one or two more but didnt.

Overall conclusion: the SS worked great for me, the SC performed about half the shaves. In fact of all the blades i ever tried (SuperMax SS, Astra green and blue, Voskhod, Derby Extra, Derby premium, Gillette Bleue Extra, Gillette Platinum, no name supermarket ones (made in Israel on the box), German Wilkinson Sword) it were the Shark SC that gave me the least comfy shaves.

So weird to read some people get so many shaves with those, they must have very weak and soft beard hairs i guess.

Top Bottom