What's new

Shapton glass 500

Hi,
Does anyone have any experience with the Shapton glass 500? I was thinking of getting something a little coarser for problematic blades that are just butterknife dull or may have chips etc . Honing a gold dallor can be done on a 1k, but it can take a little to long. I used a diamond 325 diamond plate , and it works, but I think the diamonds are a little aggressive with razors. Meaning scratch the bevels too deep, and it seems hard to remove all of the diamond scratches .

I have a 500 shapton glass stone.
I use my atoma 400 for heavy work as they dont wear easaly then progress to the 500 then 2k.
The 500 is quite agressive imo, but they get glazed easaly by swarf so keep a diamond plate next to you to remove that.

I use mine to delete problems or get the bevel on a wedge started off. It has a lot of cutting power.
Yeah I think a man needs something beyond 1k at times. So does the 500 glass dish or wear quickly? Hard or soft stone? I don't know to get the double thick or just the regular? Hc or hr?

Not soft. Glass stones get a bum rap in general for the thickness of the media. It's thinner, but they cut very aggressively so you aren't exactly on them forever. You just need a diamond plate to keep the surface fresh.

I've had a bunch of coarse stones, my current favorite is the Shapton Pro 320x. Very fast and it leaves a manageable scratch pattern.

I used one at a meet. It's fast. I really like the chosera 600 better. There is a definite need for low grit hones at times.

Top Bottom