What's new

Shapton 12k vs Ohishi 3k/8k

A question about hone quality. I started out with an Ohishi 3k/8k which is a really lovely hone and the only thing I've used on my new manufacture Boker. Efficient, smooth, and the 8k side puts a lethal edge on it.

Reading around here, I decided to try for an even finer edge and settled on the Shapton 12k. I've not used this on my Boker yet, but did hone up an old vintage Kropp on 3/8/12. Don't want to get into a discussion of method here (whole other can of worms), but let's say simply that my method was consistent with what I do on the Boker, which works for me.

When I honed the Kropp, HHT and experience on my face suggested that the blade was if anything *less* sharp after the 12k than after the 8k. Now I accept my technique won't be perfect, but it's not that bad. The Shapton also feels different to the Ohishi, maybe even rougher to the touch. Both stones were flattened and soaked properly before use (though the Ohishi doesn't actually need soaking at all).

Does anyone have experience of these stones? I note the Ohishi range tops out at 10k; do they manufacture with particularly tight tolerances that make their 8k more like a finer grit stone from someone else?

Top Bottom