What's new

FS Several sublime Swedish straight shavers sans significant service (and a 14!)

C. V. Heljestrand Mk4 11/16 -- 120CAD (~87USD) [pics]

Very little wear on this blade and very thin even bevels that take a great edge seemingly just from being in proximity to a hone. Shaves as well as anything I have, there really is something to the grind on this. Asking less than NOS due to some purely cosmetic issues: a previous owner removed some rust on the back near the spine and there are a few fine scratches on the front. Would be a good candidate for a mirror polish as a result - the etch seems deep enough for it. Or just take it as a sign than this was meant to be used rather than babied. Due to general enthusiasm I keep acquiring straight razors, but if I had to just have one this would be a good one. It's also very approachable and would be a great place to start (plus will retain more of its value than a new Dovo).

J. A. Hellberg 5/8 -- 95CAD (~69USD) [pics]

Another Swedish blade with a very thin bevel. This one is quarter hollow and has a taper towards the heel from 5/8 near the tip. I believe it was ground this way rather than worn as there is very little wear overall and the spine turns up a bit at the toe. And I've seen another very similar one with the same shape. One thing to note is that it feels a bit light for a quarter hollow, perhaps partly due to the use of wood for the wedge. Altogether an unusual razor in nice shape.

Klas Törnblom 4/8 -- 54CAD (~39USD) [pics]

This one has some more wear and some pitting but still plenty of life left in it. Shoulderless Swedish razors are held in high regard.

Eugenio Hoppe 14 15/16 -- 90CAD (~65USD) [pics]

This last one is awesome, I almost didn't include it but realistically it'll be years before I get around to the project. The #14 blanks have quite the following and this one has a wonderfully thin grind, alas so thin that it cracked, but luckily not super deep and towards the heel of the blade so there are any number of ways you can gracefully shorten the cutting edge and there'll still be plenty left for use. Anyone who's done a few of those gold dollar mods could doubtless turn this into a masterpiece. Or not. I like the scales quite a bit and it's hilarious to me that Hoppe has a frog for a logo so I don't mind, maybe I'll get to it yet.

Payment and shipping
Buyer pays $10CAD (~7USD) tracked shipping to the US or 15-20CAD within Canada or we can meet in Toronto (and more convenient to hone for you if you happen to be local). I prefer payment in Canadian dollars because if I get USD or EUR in my PayPal account the odds are high I'm just going to buy more razors with it.
20230304_155338.jpg

Very much so, as mentioned I'm particularly happy with the edge on the Mk4. The one exception is the Hoppe, I haven't even cleaned that one yet because I don't want to disturb the crack.

Edit: For extra clarity, all three of the Swedish razors are shave ready. The two near-NOS ones I used polyimide (aka Kapton) tape on which is much thinner than electrical tape so should have a minimal effect on the bevel angle and honed them on what is currently my favourite JNAT. The 4/8 was done a while ago without tape on another JNAT. I expect it'd be good for a few shaves yet but I'd happily touch it up on request (I take it that some prefer their own edges and immediately take new acquisitions to the hone so no sense wasting steel if that's going to be the case).

Last edited:
I believe you are correct, it's a pretty common profile for Swedes of that era.
Thanks! It's pretty interesting with the upturned nose. I was tempted to keep it for that but I prefer some of my other blades and I have to be ruthless if I'm going to keep my collection at a reasonable level. Here's another shot from before I finished cleaning it up where you can see that more clearly:

proxy.php

(metal is a bit dark here as I think it was after the ultrasonic cleaner with Evaporust that I used as the blade was ground with a coarse wheel/belt and I wanted to make sure there wasn't any oxidation nestled in there - don't worry I didn't get the wood wet!)

Very much so, as mentioned I'm particularly happy with the edge on the Mk4. The one exception is the Hoppe, I haven't even cleaned that one yet because I don't want to disturb the crack.

Edit: For extra clarity, all three of the Swedish razors are shave ready. The two near-NOS ones I used polyimide (aka Kapton) tape on which is much thinner than electrical tape so should have a minimal effect on the bevel angle and honed them on what is currently my favourite JNAT. The 4/8 was done a while ago without tape on another JNAT. I expect it'd be good for a few shaves yet but I'd happily touch it up on request (I take it that some prefer their own edges and immediately take new acquisitions to the hone so no sense wasting steel if that's going to be the case).
Thanks for the quick reply .

Second guessed my prices when posting it elsewhere and it's only fair to update them here too so they're now:

Heljestrand 110CAD (~79USD)
Hellberg 90CAD (~65USD)
Törnblom 50CAD (~36USD)
Hoppe 90CAD (~65USD)

prefer payment in Canadian dollars because if I get USD or EUR in my PayPal account the odds are high I'm just going to buy more razors with it.
20230304_155338.jpg
“prefer payment in Canadian dollars because if I get USD or EUR in my PayPal account the odds are high I'm just going to buy more razors with it.”

LOL people pay me in USD and i spend it all on more razors, its a curse!

Top Bottom