What's new

Semogue 830

I recieved a new Semogue 830 this week and I'm having a hard time getting a good bowl lather with it. I can face lather with it no problem, but in the bowl it goes from too dry to runny in a split second. I have two badger brushes along with an Omega 10098 and I generally have good results with all of them (except the omega, it will bowl lather but not face lather). So what gives? Is this the break in period? Should I just keep face lathering with the 830 until the bristles break down more?

Last edited:
I recieved a new Semogue 830 this week and I'm having a hard time getting a good bowl lather with it. I can face lather with it no problem, but in the bowl it goes from too dry to runny in a split second. I have two badger brushes along with an Omega 10098 and I generally have good results with all of them (except the omega, it will bowl lather but not face lather). So what gives? Is this the break in period? Should I just keep face lathering with the 830 until the bristles break down more?

That brush isn't even close to broken in and boar hair absorbs more water than badger so you'll have to adjust your technique.

Boar absorbs. Badger traps. This makes a difference in lather formation as well as lather hydration on subsequent passes. Give the brush time to break in; meantime, you'll learn how to manage the water ratio.

Mine seemed like roughly every 7-10 days it would break in a bit more and the lather quality would improve a bit. I've now had it for 2 months and it's becoming a lather monster, so hang in there.

$semogue-830.jpg

Also, if you're getting great lather in a bowl but lousy on the face, then you may be going a bit too easy on your face. It's a lot easier to get forceful and whip up a storm in a bowl, it's self contained, there is less splatter and no chances of getting it in your eyes, up your nose or in your ears. I know personally I can't really build great lather on my face unless I get a little forceful.

I have to say that I had a similar experience with the 830. This may sound a little extreme too, but I really think it's due to the black dye that they use to create a "badger effect" on those brushes, because I've never ever had the same problem with a pure, unpainted boar brush. With the 830, however, the first few shaves were really lousy and the brush even turned the shaving cream a little bit grey. I've never had any problem with any other Semogue brush, and even my painted Omega brushes work fine. It seems like it might be something to do with the dye they use at Semogue, that would be my guess.

Arthur,
i just used mine, today, and i had the same experience. i have also heard to be patient and wait until they break in.
Good luck.

Jeff, i might have to concur with you as i have just received the 830 and the Owner's Club and i got a much better lather with the Owner's Club.
Interesting! i hope you are well.

As already said, the break in takes a while. Others have recommended letting the brush dry completely between uses so that the bristle ends split. Definitely worth the work and the wait. It's a great brush for face lathering.

My Semogue banded boars (a 1305 and a 620) both shed dye for the first few lathers. Most boars will need at least 6-12 lathers before they even start breaking in and acting normally. Give them time and they will reward you. The more you use them, the better they get.

Also, if you're getting great lather in a bowl but lousy on the face, then you may be going a bit too easy on your face. It's a lot easier to get forceful and whip up a storm in a bowl, it's self contained, there is less splatter and no chances of getting it in your eyes, up your nose or in your ears. I know personally I can't really build great lather on my face unless I get a little forceful.

Actually, for me, the reverse is true. Great face, lousy bowl.

As already said, the break in takes a while. Others have recommended letting the brush dry completely between uses so that the bristle ends split. Definitely worth the work and the wait. It's a great brush for face lathering.

Would it help to blow dry it a bit after I'm done with it?

I have to say that I had a similar experience with the 830. This may sound a little extreme too, but I really think it's due to the black dye that they use to create a "badger effect" on those brushes, because I've never ever had the same problem with a pure, unpainted boar brush. With the 830, however, the first few shaves were really lousy and the brush even turned the shaving cream a little bit grey. I've never had any problem with any other Semogue brush, and even my painted Omega brushes work fine. It seems like it might be something to do with the dye they use at Semogue, that would be my guess.

Yeah, the grey lather was a little off-putting.

I wouldn't try and blowdry it Arthur. Just let it dry naturally.

I agree the 830 is probably a slightly finnicky brush but it lathers well once you break it in and figure out how much water to leave in it. I usually have better results in the bowl leaving a bit more water in the brush than when I face lather where I load dryer and dip the tips as I build it on my face.

My favourite brush!

My 830 is starting to come along nicely. It's getting a bit of a bloom to it, the bristles are getting a little fuzzier, and to my surprise it actually decided to give me a nice bowl of lather today. I didn't have to go back to the puck to get some soap on my face at all, and most surprising of all, the soap in question just happened to be some MWF! I almost fainted, lol.

Of all my boars, I find the 830 to be most difficult in terms of generating a generous lather. I've had mine for a year and I rarely use it anymore

It'll come around. My 1520 is just starting to bloom a little after a month of use. I bowl lathered with my 1305 the past couple days just so the 1520 would dry out completely and cause the hairs to split more. With it's short loft the 1520 is more of a facelathering brush so I'm looking forward to the day it's totally broke in. The 1305 does ok facelathering but it's more of a bowl latherer due to it's loft and floppyness.

Clayton

Top Bottom