What's new

Semogue 830 problem!

Just come home from vacation. Today I decided to have after-holiday-shave.
I loaded dry 830 with arko 60 sec, face lathering. As usual, for 1st pass I had nice lather, but for second - nothing. So I loaded for again my brush for following passes.

Why a DRY brush....???

Arent boars and badgers need to be wet?

I'm pretty sure you putting on dry lather and by time you ready for second pass, its gone altogether...
A brush cant be too wet or too dry to make a good lather...
The brush is 3 months old , I cant believe its that...I'm thinking its your technique with the 830...
If you can make a video or step by step pictures , maybe the guys can help..

Mike

Last edited:
Dear Mike.
Dry - I mean well soaked brush 15 minutes during a shower, after I shaked brush 2-3 times and starting loading.
But believe me, with Marcos method (wet brush) result is same.

The 830 is my second purchase and the purchase was based on hearing
good things. That said I didn't read far enough evidently because I am
experiencing the same problem with not enough lather. I will pass the
brush on to someone more qualified than I am, and stick to the badger
brushes that spew lather everywhere without effort. Good luck to all who
continue the pursuit of lather with the 830.

Dear Mike.
Dry - I mean well soaked brush 15 minutes during a shower, after I shaked brush 2-3 times and starting loading.
But believe me, with Marcos method (wet brush) result is same.

heres a video with exact items you use...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZTEQCG0KOQ

So if you do it exactly as this gentleman, you still have no lather left in brush to use?

As I said before , loading it for a minute should leave tons of lather left on face and brush
(Do you dip brush tips in water before 2nd shave?)

Sorry for being so persistent , but its hard for me to try to figure whats wrong

mike

another video...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RD0KphbG94

Last edited:
Are you using anything like at noxema? I have had issues with noxema screwing up my lather. Otherwise I always get three passes

I just purchased a new Semogue 830 before reading this thread. Now I'm a little worried! I guess I'll see how it goes when it arrives on Friday and I try out some test lathers to get it broken in.

In general (not directed at the TS specifically):

Again, do not discount all boar brushes because your issues with the Semogues please! Boar brushes can be great lathering machines, especially once they are fully broken in! IMHO you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not trying other boars as well.

In general (not directed at the TS specifically):

Again, do not discount all boar brushes because your issues with the Semogues please! Boar brushes can be great lathering machines, especially once they are fully broken in! IMHO you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not trying other boars as well.

Sure. My boar Jaguar 338 is a lathering machine , when compare to 830. I can get lather for 4 passes at least.

I have an 820 Semogue which is pretty much the same thing and I initially had lathering problems with it - 610 too.

I think that it's important, particularly when face lathering, to make sure that you splay the brush a bit when loading to make sure that the centre of the brush gets covered with the soap. If you don't do this getting a third, or sometimes even a second pass out of it can prove tricky. Brush must not be too dry either.

I love the Semogue 830, its probably my favorite brush. Use it much more than badger. I understand each have their preference. I have several Semogue's and have had no lather problems. I do find that it is better on hard soaps as opposed to cream. Good luck on finding your best brush.

I still say it is a ymmv situation. I get 4 passes every time

It IS a YMMV situation, I am sure.

I have used Omega, Mühle, Vero, TGC, and Semogue brushes, and the Semogues just don't work for me. But for others they are the best boars they have used. So it really is a personal thing.

Like I said before shavier ...
after using your 338 , just work leftover lather into the 830 and work into palm...let it dry 2 days...
A few times doing this ......maybe one day it will click..

Mike

I loved the cerda so much that i bought a second one! My all time favorite boar brush and in fact, the only brush i ever use. I was also lucky that i ended up with two very different cerda brushes as one is a very tight dense knot and the other is a bit looser so i get very different face feel from each.

I used to use the 830 a lot and always got gobs of lather without any problems. I hope it works out for you soon. I agree with the tips given by the other gents, that's how i have broken in all my boar brushes and also why i would never touch my badger brushes again! !

Last edited:
As I promised...
Brush was soaked in a very hot water and loaded with arko. No shaked, very wet. Loading position - hairs are up, handle down, soap puck upside down, as a Mantic method with MWF. After I started lathering in a metallic mug.
For second pass result was little bit better, than past.
Will continue using this procedure

Been using the Marco Method and that seems to be the ticket. Have that 830 dripping wet and load for 60 seconds and I had gobs of lather. I did test lathers with Blades Grim Smolder, VdH Luxury, and a couple of Stirlings.

Top Bottom