What's new

Semogue 610 vs. Semogue 830

A gentleman asked me some brush questions in a PM and he also mentioned, that he couldn't find a comparison of the Semogue 610 to the 830, and curious as I am; of course I had to :stuart:

Buckle up, because here we go:

I soaked the brushes while showering and then lathered up with Nanny's Lemony Lime with Goat milk shaving soap.

First pass: I couldn't tell the two brushes apart, they felt equal in both backbone, splay and prickliness - for some reason this seem to almost be the norm for the first pass.

Second pass: Contrary to my anticipation the 610 splayed just a little bit more than the 830, neither brush had much of a splay, but it was noticeable. The tips felt quite equal, just a little prickliness if used "head-on" (if it make sense), but otherwise they felt nice, soft and smooth.

Third pass:
It was obvious that the 610 splayed more than the 830 which felt and looked firm. Putting on some light pressure I could easily get the 830 to splay more, but it instantly went back to its original form, whereas the 610 stayed more in the splayed condition. Had it been a normal daily use I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference between the tips of those two brushes, but in this head-to-head the tips of the 610 felt just slightly softer than the 830.
However the difference is so small that two other brushes might give the opposite result, so don't take this as the 610 has softer tips than the 830.

Fourth pass: To be sure, I took good time to lather up and review the behaviour of the brushes, and it was as experienced in the third pass, the 610 had a little more splay and felt like it had a little less backbone, but we are talking very small differences here.

Data
Hair typeBoar, Best 90% topsBoar, Premium 90% tops, dyed
HandleAcrylic, clear/redAcrylic, clear/red
Weight [gram]62.463.5
Knot diameter [mm]21.022.0
Loft height [mm]50.054.4
Total height [mm]95.8100.2

Result
The result came a bit as a surprise, but then again I got pretty much the same result when comparing the 610 to the 820.
I would have anticipated the loft difference to be noticeable, but it wasn't, the 610 is a softer brush than the 830 (well, these two anyway).

This comparison just once more show that Semogue produce some very nice brushes - at least they fit my preferences very well :001_smile
Should I dig deep and find one point to complain about it would be the dyed hair in the 830, I think natural boar hair is beautiful and it really doesn't need to be altered.

proxy.php

For me, the 610 hits the sweet spot. If I had to pick just one brush, this would probably be the one. I don't use my SOC or 2011 LE FB1 quite as often. Of my badgers, only my Simpson LE Eagle G3 in Best comes close.

I do like the natural myself, Must be mine is a little older but my 610 has the dyed hair, looks like i will need a new one? don't know about breaking it in though.

Ian

Edit, senior moment here, mines a 620

Last edited:
The 830 has the same dimensions at the 1305, yet the description of the 610 sounds like the 1305. Any thoughts? I'm looking for a boar with a shorter loft them my 1305 and less flop.

Excellent and informative review, Søren. It's always a pleasure to see thoughtful, well-reasoned and -illlustrated work. Thank you.
Plus, my treasured 830 did pretty well.
:001_smile :wink2:

I have the 620 and love it. Went in to Pasteur pharmacy to pick up a Soc and 610, and instead walked out with a Simpson Colonel, and a 820.... Big mistake on the 820... Shouldve got the 610. The loft height on the 820 is too high for me..The SOC would have been worse for me. Oh well..

Going back tomorrow for the 610

Here they are..
$IMAG0437.jpgView attachment 233235

Top Bottom