What's new

Semi-adjustable FH Gillette Tech with 3D-printed base plates

3D PRINTED BASE PLATES

I finally got around to finalizing this small upgrade for the Fat Handle Gillette Tech. There are quite a few variations of GTs and I only have a few to test, so, I hope they fit every GT out there.

These 3 sets of 3D-printed base plates will convert your vintage Fat Handle Gillette Tech safety razor into a Semi-Adjustable razor. The plate sets come in either an open comb, safety bar, or a combination of the two. Each set includes 3 base plates and has 3 levels of efficiency. The base plates are marked with notches on the side which indicate the level of efficiency ( 1 notch = mild, 2 notches = medium, and 3 notches = aggressive ).

20231021_142744.jpg

20231021_143220.jpg

G Tech Plate gap.jpg

9G Tech Plates.jpg

The files are available for free download here:

Ugh. Now I really regret giving away all my Techs. I'd especially be interested in the OC.

How do the new plates compare to the original base plate in aggressiveness?
Plate 1 feels just a tiny bit more efficient than the original. Plate two has a noticeable increase in efficiency but is still very smooth. Plate 3 is definitely aggressive but still smooth and non-threatening. The bar and comb on all 3d printed plates have a tighter radius profile than the original base plates. This tighter radius increases the skin drag ahead of the cap which, in turn, gives the feel of a smoother shave, and to a small degree, eliminates irritation.

Plate 1 feels just a tiny bit more efficient than the original. Plate two has a noticeable increase in efficiency but is still very smooth. Plate 3 is definitely aggressive but still smooth and non-threatening. The bar and comb on all 3d printed plates have a tighter radius profile than the original base plates. This tighter radius increases the skin drag ahead of the cap which, in turn, gives the feel of a smoother shave, and to a small degree, eliminates irritation.
I wonder how the material used for printing might affect things? Or maybe it might not matter?

OK, I've got the goods. Only instead of three baseplates waiting for me I found seven:
IMG_1294.jpg

The three in the back are Level 3 open comb. The darker yellow is kind of fried on the bottom and has some fibers between the teeth. The green one has a few teeth shorter than the others, which probably won't affect the shave. The chalky yellow one is, hopefully the Goldilocks of the bunch.
Foreground left and right are the Level 2 open combs. You can see below that the yellow one is even more fried and the teeth wider as a result:
IMG_1297.jpg

I don't know that it affects the shave--the geometry is sound and the point of skin contact unaffected--but the orange one looks cosmetically better. Finally, in the middle foreground of the top picture is the closed comb Level 3. It looks pretty good. I imagine it's much easier to print the plates with the safety bar than the ones with all the little teeth but, then, I can't explain the following photo. All I can guess is that someone was trying to recreate Darth Vader's melted mask.
IMG_1296.jpg

If you try to shave with this thing, you'll probably need a mask afterward anyway.

OK, thanks for humoring me. I'll probably only keep three of these, so if any of you want one of the outtakes (not Darth, obviously), let me know. I can probably get it to you (in the U.S.) with a single stamp.

That is very, very neat!

If I find a place locally to print these out for me, what should I look for? Types of printer, types of material? What are the costs approximately?

Top Bottom