What's new

Selling the right blade.

I love my Merkur HD, but the Merkur blades is quite the worst I have tried. Yes, I know, they are the best for some, and the choice of blade is very personal. Merkur must know this. Wouldn't you think they would acknowledge this by making at least two blades and supplying a sample of each (all) with their razors? Otherwise an unwitting customer who, like me, cannot get a decent shave with a Merkur blade might conclude the razors are rubbish.

I use Swedes of Feathers, but without the collective wisdom of a board like this I would not have appreciated the need to experiment.

I doubt they'd do that, include a sample competitors blade with their razors (unless it was an awful one). It wouldn't be good business. If they made more than one version of their own blades though, that would make more sense (eg. "Merkur standard"... "Merkur ubersharp"... etc)

The problem is that individual responses to blades vary all over the place, and providing two different blades might well provide many shavers with two different horrible shaves. The only solution I see is to keep people informed of the importance of trying a broad range of blades to find the ones that work for them. And, as you say, the Merkur blades are quite good for some, and for others the very best blade they've found.

Top Bottom