What's new

Seiko 5

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
Is anyone familiar with this watch? I just purchased one from the bay and I'm waiting for it to come in the mail. It's an automatic. I guess you knew that if you are familiar with this watch.

I have one, it’s green and I like it a lot. I swapped out the band for a more comfortable rubber one. I don’t wear it a ton but I do when I am working outdoors or something. It keeps very good time.

EB7D6D49-C05E-4222-8E15-FBB060182587.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I bought a "rebuilt" one from India. Lasted quite a while, gained a few minutes per day, but now it won't run. I'm too cheap to get it looked at, as it cost less than 17 bucks total shipped from India. Miss it tho. Got lots of comments on it.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I wear a Seiko 5 at the moment but I bought mine back in the early 1990’s. Has given me no real dramas in all this time. It has started to gain a little time but it has never been serviced. The only time that I have had the back off is earlier this year when it stopped and I took the back off and had to tighten up the rotor as it would not wind up the mainspring.

I’ve been wearing one since I bought it back in 2013. It works great, but loses a couple of minutes every week now. I could adjust it, but doesn’t bother me much.

I'm a bit of an exact time nerd and like my watches hackable. The inability to do that turns me off to the Seiko 5 movement but they're workhorses by all accounts. I've got a Seiko automatic that is hackable and it's perfect for me. I think you'll enjoy it very much.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Solid choice sir! Here's my SNZG on a Horween leather strap.

1AD33A05-284F-4BD4-82F8-9D4341CBF9C3.jpeg

So many cool options in the Seiko 5 line. Pretty much a color and style for everyone.

I bought one off the bay myself a few weeks ago. It will serve as my backup watch. Love it. My only issue was I wasn’t able to remove links from the band myself, and had to take it to a watch guy.

I bought one off the bay myself a few weeks ago. It will serve as my backup watch. Love it. My only issue was I wasn’t able to remove links from the band myself, and had to take it to a watch guy.

I got a set of cheap watch tools off amazon for ~$25 about 8 months ago when I bought two watches with bracelets from Jomas shop and local places wanted 25 bucks each to adjust the sizes for me. Not quality tools by any stretch of the imagination but work fine. I adjusted my bracelets and have changed batteries and replaced bands for several family members since and the set is holding up, except the tweezers in the set but those are easy to replace/substitute.

As far as the Seiko 5s, I was looking at some of them initially and there seems to be an assertion that the ones made in japan for the Japanese market are better quality than the ones made outside Japan. I don't know if its true but the prices are higher for the ones with "Made in Japan" on the face that I've seen online.

I bought a "rebuilt" one from India. Lasted quite a while, gained a few minutes per day, but now it won't run. I'm too cheap to get it looked at, as it cost less than 17 bucks total shipped from India. Miss it tho. Got lots of comments on it.

Ebay should have a popup message "Never buy Japanese watches from India and Russian watches from Ukraine". Sellers from Singapore are pretty decent when it comes to Seiko 5.

I've got two and I've given my son one too. Great watches, incredible considering the price. At least that's my verdict after somewhere between 5 and 8 years of wearing them.

I got a set of cheap watch tools off amazon for ~$25 about 8 months ago when I bought two watches with bracelets from Jomas shop and local places wanted 25 bucks each to adjust the sizes for me. Not quality tools by any stretch of the imagination but work fine. I adjusted my bracelets and have changed batteries and replaced bands for several family members since and the set is holding up, except the tweezers in the set but those are easy to replace/substitute.

I’ve got a set like that as well, but this watch seemed to require a more specialized tool to remove the links.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Ebay should have a popup message "Never buy Japanese watches from India and Russian watches from Ukraine". Sellers from Singapore are pretty decent when it comes to Seiko 5.
I'm awful lazy, but if it don't start working by slapping it on a table, I may tear it apart to see how it works. The joys of forced retirement!

Top Bottom