What's new

Seiko 5

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
That's because you don't drive an SUV bigger than most Tokyo apartments blasting Kid Cudi when passing toll booths. You need to update yer lifestyle taste buds.
You are undoubtedly right, my lifestyle needs an upgrade. I have no idea what a Kid Cudi is, and I listen to talk radio when my lovely bride let's me.

I've had mine since early March of this year and absolutely adore it. The automatic movement of this particular model is hackable and gains about 5 seconds per day, so rather than adjust it, I just hack it every week with the second hand pointed at noon and wait for my phone's clock to catch up before pushing the crown back in. Threw this gray Barton canvas band on it and have been wearing this thing pretty-much non-stop!
20190625_033549.jpg

Absolutely THE workhorse of the watch industry. Seiko doesn't get much love from the watch snobs but IMO they make the best movements in the industry. The spring drive system is absolutely brilliant.

My personal experience, though an outlier, is that I spent 10x the cost of a single Seiko 5 repairing my Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust over the first 15 years I've owned it. Bought and maintained through authorized dealer/repair shop. It stopped working several years ago, I was quoted $1,200 to repair it "as good as new". Been sitting in my drawer since. This year, I'm getting the motivation to sell it as is back to the dealer.

Based on my personal experience, again an outlier, I will never buy another Rolex. My next watch will be a Valjoux 7750 or 7753 chronograph movement.

FarmerTan

Absolutely THE workhorse of the watch industry. Seiko doesn't get much love from the watch snobs but IMO they make the best movements in the industry. The spring drive system is absolutely brilliant.

My personal experience, though an outlier, is that I spent 10x the cost of a single Seiko 5 repairing my Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust over the first 15 years I've owned it. Bought and maintained through authorized dealer/repair shop. It stopped working several years ago, I was quoted $1,200 to repair it "as good as new". Been sitting in my drawer since. This year, I'm getting the motivation to sell it as is back to the dealer.

Based on my personal experience, again an outlier, I will never buy another Rolex. My next watch will be a Valjoux 7750 or 7753 chronograph movement.
Thanx for that. I need to get my Seiko 5 running again.

Seiko doesn't get much love from the watch snobs but IMO they make the best movements in the industry.

In my experience virtually everybody around watch forums etc loves Seiko. It's only wannabe rich people who have to have a Rolex/Patek/etc to show off that look down on them.

I didn't find it too attractive either! My last Seiko was a premium 10-year battery powered model which automatically readjusted time to be accurate..including adjusting for EST/Daylight Savings Time changes. Stopped working so I had the battery replaced. That didn't fix it and Seiko wanted almost $300 to repair it. Now have an Apple watch with an analogue dial face showing. Keeps accurate time, syncs with my phone, allows me to answer phone calls, etc. Why would I need anything else? LOL PS, I also have a Rolex sitting in a drawer somepace.

I'm not a watch snob and I'll take any mechanical Rolex over any Seiko. Simply in a different league IMO. I have drawer full of dead Seikos not worth servicing. They are neither super durable, nor terribly reliable, or impressively accurate. Nice, affordable daily watch is their domain. They are not milspec like Marathon GSAR and shouldn't be treated harshly. Many come damaged just from postage shipping.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
You guys are crazy comparing Seiko 5s with Rolexs. Wayyyy different. Now Grand Seiko, sure. But I couldn't remotely afford a Grand Seiko or a Rolex, so I'll let others spar about that.

Seiko 5s are under $100, look great, accurate enough and take a licking and keep on ticking!

If my sub $100 watch that I wear every day breaks after 5 years, no biggie.

How much does a Rolex go for again?

Have any of you tried an Orient watch? I have three and I love them. Great timepieces for the money as well. They have inhouse made movements and I love the dial treatments. Most now have hacking and winding movements, too. High end Swiss watches require maintenance every five to ten years and that can add up. You can easily buy another Seiko or Orient for the cost of a regular servicing on an Omega or Rolex.

FarmerTan

Have any of you tried an Orient watch? I have three and I love them. Great timepieces for the money as well. They have inhouse made movements and I love the dial treatments. Most now have hacking and winding movements, too. High end Swiss watches require maintenance every five to ten years and that can add up. You can easily buy another Seiko or Orient for the cost of a regular servicing on an Omega or Rolex.
Good that you chimed in. I've been wondering about the Orient watches.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I've had nothing but great luck with mine, over the years I've had five and they all still run fine.

Here are a couple of wannabe dive watches (no screw down crowns) but do just fine as beaters for me.

full

I have two 5s. A blue and black. I messed the black one up by not taking it off while grinding something a real stupid way. I went to far and it was stop and have the part fall on my head and partner’s head or grin and bear the pain until the job was done. Stupid lesson learned and the crystal took a beating from the sparks. I’ve been thinking about getting the crystal replaced. I really like these watches.

I have two 5s. A blue and black. I messed the black one up by not taking it off while grinding something a real stupid way. I went to far and it was stop and have the part fall on my head and partner’s head or grin and bear the pain until the job was done. Stupid lesson learned and the crystal took a beating from the sparks. I’ve been thinking about getting the crystal replaced. I really like these watches.
Interesting, that is a good reason to consider one with a sapphire crystal. Though someone will probably like the "patina" of your black watch, unless the dial is totally unreadable. :)

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
B2CAB93E-66A5-4933-9906-6A929B57C450.jpeg 8827415C-50D6-42F5-AEA2-0BEAA69435FF.jpeg 72B432F7-0D50-42FF-96DD-ECC74777C04C.jpeg
Here is my old Seiko 5. Bought it new back in the early 1990’s. Was a daily wearer for many years, put away and forgotten about, re-found and re-worn again. It is starting to gain time, never been serviced. I had the glass off once by a Watchmaker to fix the day/date bezel and the back off not long ago for me to tighten the winding rotor. Thinking of paying for the overhaul as I really like the watch, not too big, just right. I have other Seiko 5 watches that I have bought second hand over the years but this one is just my favourite.

Top Bottom