What's new

Seeking advice on a synthetic brush

1) you bowl lather. Boars have great backbone, great for whipping up a thick lather.
2) You like hard soaps. Boars have great backbone, great for gathering soap from a hard puck.
3) Boars are different to “break in” but after, they are a lot less scritchy/scratchy, and are fine for painting lather.
4) Boars are not harmed in making brushes from their hair.
i have a Semogue 1305 that I bot for $20. Omega makes excellent boar brushes too.

Horses are not harmed when their hair is harvested but I think that Boar brushes are made from pigs who have been slaughtered for their meat?

Please correct me if I am in error.
You are entirely correct. My bad. i was thinking horse hair. At least they’re not killed for their hair or fur. I’m not sure if anyone eats badgers.

OK. I'm listening. Why boar hair?

My broken in boars are softer then anything I have tried. They still retain their backbone when broken in. They make a **** ton of lather easily. They work well for either bowl or face lathering and splay wonderfully and easily. I even pulled a badger knot from a handle I liked and replaced it with a boar knot. The bonus is they can be had for a great price as well. I'll never have anything but a boar or synth and may even eventually replace my synth knots with boar knots as well but not any time soon.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I like short lofts for synthetics. Longer ones tend to be floppy paint brush like. That's one reason I like the Shavemac suggestion. I prefer knots with loft that is 2x the width of the knot.

You are entirely correct. My bad. i was thinking horse hair. At least they’re not killed for their hair or fur. I’m not sure if anyone eats badgers.
Badgers are considered vermin because they eat all sorts of commercial crops. So, they're hunted/trapped and the carcasses often find their way to meat markets. Sometimes, the hair is harvested beforehand. Over at Em's Place, there's some info about badger hair sourcing:

Bristle Sourcing: As a company dealing in badger brushes the question about the source for badger hair comes up quite often. We have had conversations about this with many of the manufacturers we work with. Mr. Philip Watterson, former Managing Director, Progress Shaving Brush (Vulfix) Ltd provided us with what we consider excellent information on this subject, and is our basic understanding within the industry. He said this information could be shared as necessary and we think it would be educational here...
"Badger hair is imported from China. British, American and Canadian Badger are of no interest to brush manufacturers and cannot be connected with today's limited trade. China being the main export of Badger hair does so with very strict control on the amount exported each year, clearly displaying their awareness of environmental conservation. The Badger population is carefully monitored avoiding any decrease in its numbers. (It should be remembered that the badger is a source of meat to the Chinese people and is available in the markets). Chinese Badger are collected from the wild and are not in contravention of the Washington Treaty of Endangered Species."

"This has been an industry for the people of China for hundreds of years and it should be remembered that an increase in the Badger population would quickly be regarded as vermin and a pest to agriculture. The high prices paid for Badger hair, its removal being a costly operation, means that any significant growth predicted in its demand has little foundation. Such an expensive product will never be part of the mainstream fashion boom. Britain, Europe and America all operate very strict import controls ensuring that any Badger hair brought into these countries is done so with all legislative agreements being strictly adhered to. The ecologists in both the exporting and importing communities of Badger hair have created a system preserving the Badger, an important source of livelihood for hundreds of years in the Far East and ensuring that a small market does exist, creating valuable work in an industry which dates back to the time when wet shaving was first recorded."
In addition, sometimes a customer has mentioned hearing that badger are sheared like sheep and ask if this is true? Mr. Watterson indicated that from his vantage point badger are not sheared like sheep. Em's Place has never heard that from any of the other brush makers we communicate with either. In regard to boar brushes, our understanding is those bristles are primarily sourced from China, India and Russia.

As an aside, badger meat was sold at the meat market in Wuhan where the initial coronavirus outbreak occurred. I had been thinking of buying another Yaqi badger brush, but pondered whether contaminated hair might somehow make its way into the product. The thought of swirling something like that on my face gives me the heebie-jeebies.

However, I don't know how the hair is processed before being packed and tied into knots, so I might be scaring myself for no reason. :confused1

Thanks everyone.
Just ordered a white-handled 30mm Tuxedo Knot brush from Yaqi.
$23.12 including tax & shipping!

I wish I wasn't supporting a company that tortures Badgers but at least I'm supporting a product line that doesn't torture Badgers!

Enjoy the new brush!! :badger: :badger:

Razorock Bruce. In fact I have one I would like to part with, it's hardly been used. It has a 24mm knot, which is really too big for my needs. But the handle has a nice ergonomic grip.

Any of the Razorock brushes are nice if you like a bigger brush. I don't, but that's probably what you are looking for.

If you google “badger brush cruelty” it’s apparent it’s pretty bad. I won’t post specifics here but you can see for yourself if you want. I have a badger brush on the way from Shavemac that I ordered before I searched that, but all my future brushes will be synthetic.

If you feel guilty about the shavemac, I’ll buy it.

That's a fair statement/offer. I'm going to see how I feel about it when I'm holding it in my hand. I eat meat and dairy. I don't know why a brush would feel different, but it seems like it might. We will see. And I would not hold you to that post.

Today I'm using a $16 Maggards 24mm Blue and White Two Piece Resin Handle Gray and White Synthetic Shaving Brush, and it works great, so I'm glad there's alternatives available.

If you google “badger brush cruelty” it’s apparent it’s pretty bad. I won’t post specifics here but you can see for yourself if you want. I have a badger brush on the way from Shavemac that I ordered before I searched that, but all my future brushes will be synthetic.

Yes. A few years ago I saw some info on this. Perhaps it's not the norm but it looks very inhumane.
I recall something about skinning badgers alive. Not sure how much of this is real or maybe real but very uncommon.

I eat meat and am OK with using animal products as long as it's humane (that said though, the meat industry in the U.S. is pretty bad). If I do decide I want another badger brush in the future I guess I'll investigate further.
For now, my 2 is enought.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I've heard that Plisson, is the only brush manufacturer that gets hair from Europe, at least for their higher end brushes. Were I in the market for another badger, I think I'd go that route.

I might be scaring myself for no reason
I'm no expert on this at all. But, the coronavirus, like so many viruses, does not survive long outside a biological host. 3-4 days tops, in general (look at what scientists say about the 'table top'). I have a badger knot arriving in the next two days. I have no doubt it's fine. Even if I was engaging in my own FUD, I could quarantine the box (outside in non-frozen air) for up to 14 days. Everyone has to be comfortable with their own risk choices in the end. Badger knots and coronavirus? Not even on my radar, and I'm a fastidious fellow in general. In fact, Fastidious Fellow is probably better than merovirginian.

That's a fair statement/offer. I'm going to see how I feel about it when I'm holding it in my hand. I eat meat and dairy. I don't know why a brush would feel different, but it seems like it might. We will see. And I would not hold you to that post.

Today I'm using a $16 Maggards 24mm Blue and White Two Piece Resin Handle Gray and White Synthetic Shaving Brush, and it works great, so I'm glad there's alternatives available.
I have one badger brush left that I am unsure what to do with now that I have realized the implications of such a purchase. I have no problem using tallow soaps as to me it re-enforces the notion that every part of the animal is used and I do love me a good porterhouse steak and a nice leather pair of sneakers.
To my knowledge, I have never eaten Badger meat and would not do so willingly. So for me, that is where I draw the line on what products I will use. Boar is considered vermin as well and hunted as such but again, Boar is different than pork. I have never eaten wild boar and would not do so on a regular basis.
It's a personal choice for each of us, I have no issues or moral judgement on those who choose to use such products, that is the beauty of a free market, the freedom of "Choice" to use our disposable income as we see fit.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Latest synthetic:

20200214_071932~2.jpg

Ever-Ready 100 set with a 21mm Silvertip Synthetic. :)

Top Bottom