What's new

Seeking advice on a synthetic brush

I've been wetshaving for about 13 years and have only bought 3 brushes in total. All badger.
The first was a $50 middle of the road Vulfix. I found it way too soft. Sold it and got a Savile Row something or other for $100. It was a considerable improvement but I still found it too floppy so I guess I like some backbone.
Savile Brush.jpg

I ended up with a Rooney Heritage something or other which was $150. After talking to the guy at Vintageblades we decided that this would be a good choice for me.
I've been very happy with it (although there are some cracks at the top of the handle as you can see. I don't use the Savile much as I find it too floppy (but I've been thinking I should try it again for creams).

Savile Brush.jpg

A couple years ago I read about the atrocities committed on Badgers and figured I would try not to buy a Badger brush in the future but wondered if I'd find a good enough synthetic. Back in 2013, I think synthetics were pretty mediocre.

I don't actually need a brush now but reading about how good some $15-30 brushes are I thought maybe I'd try one.

Any guidance? I suppose I'd like to keep it under $50-$75 since I've never had Brush Acquisition Disorder (unless there's a great reason to spend more); I'd also be happy to spend less. I'm thinking I probably have medium sensitive skin and average hardness/coarseness of hair (or maybe a little softer).

I have pretty large hands (usually XL gloves) and probably want a brush on the larger side. Don't know about huge though.

I use mostly hard soaps though I sometimes use soft soaps or creams but since I have 2 other brushes, lets assume I'm particularly interested in a brush for hard soaps.

I mostly bowl (scuttle) lather then do some face mopping / scrubbing.

Some of the WCS brushes look promising (and I'm soon to place a WCS order). Some reviews say they're a bit too soft though.

Attachments

• Heritage Brush.jpg
    Heritage Brush.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Get a yaqi synth there crazy cheap and they tend to have backbone to them I recently got a moka 2 band silver tip great back bone good scrub can't complain apart from it was a bit smelly

I've been wetshaving for about 13 years and have only bought 3 brushes in total. All badger.
The first was a $50 middle of the road Vulfix. I found it way too soft. Sold it and got a Savile Row something or other for $100. It was a considerable improvement but I still found it too floppy so I guess I like some backbone.
View attachment 1062203

I ended up with a Rooney Heritage something or other which was $150. After talking to the guy at Vintageblades we decided that this would be a good choice for me.
I've been very happy with it (although there are some cracks at the top of the handle as you can see. I don't use the Savile much as I find it too floppy (but I've been thinking I should try it again for creams).

View attachment 1062203

A couple years ago I read about the atrocities committed on Badgers and figured I would try not to buy a Badger brush in the future but wondered if I'd find a good enough synthetic. Back in 2013, I think synthetics were pretty mediocre.

I don't actually need a brush now but reading about how good some $15-30 brushes are I thought maybe I'd try one.

Any guidance? I suppose I'd like to keep it under $50-$75 since I've never had Brush Acquisition Disorder (unless there's a great reason to spend more); I'd also be happy to spend less. I'm thinking I probably have medium sensitive skin and average hardness/coarseness of hair (or maybe a little softer).

I have pretty large hands (usually XL gloves) and probably want a brush on the larger side. Don't know about huge though.

I use mostly hard soaps though I sometimes use soft soaps or creams but since I have 2 other brushes, lets assume I'm particularly interested in a brush for hard soaps.

I mostly bowl (scuttle) lather then do some face mopping / scrubbing.

Some of the WCS brushes look promising (and I'm soon to place a WCS order). Some reviews say they're a bit too soft though.
Check out my review another vote for Yaqi Yaqui 💈 Big Knot - Reviews - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/reviews/yaqui-big-knot.211713/reviews#item-

Thanks. 30mm sounds like it might be fun.
Like this one?
Out of stock from WCS but $22 shipped from Alibaba! (and it fits my aesthetic simplicity or dullness).

I like the looks of the mixed red handle available in 28mm but not 30mm.
Thoughts about 28mm vs 30mm?

I also realized synthetic would be a good choice for travel (maybe a smaller one) as the dry fast and I won't cry if I lose it.

Another vote for Yaqi knots. If you like non-floppy knots, APShaveCo on Etsy sells 30mm SynBad knots (the same knot as the Yaqi Moka Brown, I think - that's not certain by any means, though) with white marble handles for $20ish. The Cashmere knots are even softer.

I have 2 WCS 24mm synths. I scuttle lather and face lather and find them both to perform wonderfully. They are soft but have plenty of backbone. They are excellent for hard soaps but perform equally great on anything.

IMG_4454.jpg

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I have a 28mm yaqi with a tuxedo knot and one of the WCS synthetics. I don't suffer from BAD either and these are the two brushes I use in rotation and I think they are great. I paid about $35 for both with shipping. Have touched my natural hair brushes a handful of times since.

Thanks everyone.
Just ordered a white-handled 30mm Tuxedo Knot brush from Yaqi.
$23.12 including tax & shipping!

I wish I wasn't supporting a company that tortures Badgers but at least I'm supporting a product line that doesn't torture Badgers!

Razorock and Maggards both have good synthetics.

And Muhle has some higher end...not sure necessary but nice

If you live in the US or Ca, don't buy from Alibaba...it's not as smooth transaction/shipping.

Another vote for Razorock and Maggard. I have the Razorock Monster and the Maggard 30 mm and both are excellent and available for short money.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Thanks everyone.
Just ordered a white-handled 30mm Tuxedo Knot brush from Yaqi.
$23.12 including tax & shipping!

I wish I wasn't supporting a company that tortures Badgers but at least I'm supporting a product line that doesn't torture Badgers!

Whilst the badgers may suffer I think you will be happy with your purchase. Keep us updated!

I found this to be really helpful, not only for buying a brush, but for adding a knot to a refurbished handle. I was impressed with the Silk Smoke knot. I installed a faux horse hair knot in a refurbished handle. I think it’s a nice knot, but I’d suggest at least a 28mm.
9B963B99-0C7D-415A-8C67-4ABD56176648.png

also...If you’re a face latherer, check out the Razorock Monster.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Synthetic knots I use (19mm - 26mm):

Full Moon
Mühle Silver Tip Fibre (STF)
Shavemac
Simpsons
2BED Synthetic Fan
Tuxedo
BOSS
Cashmere

My preference is for the 19mm - 26mm knots.

YMMV :)

If you don't like too soft/floppy brushes, Tuxedo knots are probably the best for you. They're still soft but they have a lot of backbone and great face feel. Yaqi tuxedos are my recommendations. If you don't mind softer synthetics, brushes like plissoft or boss knot will work fine as well.

Top Bottom