What's new

Scuttle Water Temperature

SO the TWGW got me a new Dirtybird Scuttle for my birthday that happens to be next Tuesday. My question would be, what temperature do you guys heat your water to for your scuttle? I am sure alot of people just use the tap water at whatever temperature it comes out of the pipes, but does anyone actual heat your water to a specific temp?

Last edited:
I just use the hot water from the tap filling the scuttle before my shower to get it warm, then refilling after shower for the shave.

I tried using extra hot water - from the hot water dispenser at about 200 degrees, just below boiling. It was too hot, the lather broke down and was thin and runny. Hot water from the tap is better for the lather and plenty hot enough.

+1 to what mike said above!!! If the water is too hot it will break down the lather and either dry it out very quickly or depending on amount of water used to build the lather will turn it runny! I prep my G5 with hot water take my shower then refill as the others have said and seems to work great!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Hot tap water, yes. Hot lather is a misnomer. You are going for WARM lather. It's much more comfortable than cold lather, but all you need is warm. If you have hot it will cool off almost instantly anyway and it does break down. I fill the whole sink with hot water and submerge the whole scuttle while I shower.

What already said, hot tap water for warm lather.

Bonus feature: Use cold water with some mentholated soap/cream for hot summer days, super refreshing!

I just use hot tap water.

Run hot water over outside of scuttle, fill bowl and water jacket, let set for a minute or two, empty then refill jacket. This gets all the ceramic hot(warm) so the lather stays warm longer.

After reading all the post, I'm not sure if anyone said to use hot water from the tap...:001_tt2:

No need to pile on:a29: They have covered it all.

tap water is the way to go but the temp is dependent on the water heater setting - mine is very hot and the lather is warm not hot which is fine - it does dry out if too hot - but my original expectation was old time barber shop hot from those electric dispensers of yesteryear - to keep the lather just right you have to settle for warm with a scuttle .

I have a brush scuttle and use an instant hot water dispenser to fill it up. I fill the cup to get it warm then empty, next I fill the spout that surrounds the scuttle. Hotter the better and this water is close to boiling. Great for making hot tea as well. When I use less hot water the brush does not stay as warm long enough.

Thanks for all the replys, it appears hot water right out of the tap is the way to proceed.

Bob

All this hot water and scuttle talk is getting me giddy about my DB scuttle that seems like it will never come.

You will be glad when it does arrive. Julie at Dirty Bird rocks! I fill my scuttle with hot tap water and put the whole scuttle into the sink that is also filled with hot tap water. Then I jump into the shower. Then I empty the upper half, wet my badger brush and whip up the lather. Works great.

I plug my kettle in and let the water boil before filling my G5 inner (bottom) and outer (top) compartments. I then cover the outer compartment with a facecloth while I shower, to keep the heat in. When I'm done my shower, I dump out the outer water into the plugged sink, fill the rest of the sink with hot tap water, and soak my face with that hot water using the facecloth. IT IS THE ULTIMATE! Ahh...wake up, stop daydreaming and pay attention to post you are typing...
So, for my shave cream, I use extra water in the mix, because the extra heat causes the mixture to break down a little. By adding extra water, the mix is perfect when it comes time to shave. And, the temp of the cream is a very warm, as compared to mild warm that you can barely feel.

Hope that helps!
Now...back to my daydreaming about shaving again...

Top Bottom