What's new

Scuttle for face latherer?

I have been thinking of purchasing a scuttle for a while but I am not sure if there is any point in doing so since I am an exclusive face latherer. The only time I build lather in a bowl is on the very rare occasion when I use a cream. I have however seen that there are scuttles with a very narrow reservoir designed for the sole purpose of keeping the loaded brush warm in between passes. Does anyone here use such a device? Does it work as is intended? Would a larger scuttle also work for this purpose? I realize this is an item of luxury that you do not strictly need but then again I enjoy the lathering process to such an extent that the prospect of making it even more enjoyable is tantalizing.

I don't see the need for a scuttle for face lathering.

That's one of the attractions of face lathering; you need soap, a brush, water, and nothing else (ok, your face).

Dirty bird makes a brush skuttle and bill bowls . With this combo you can enjoy hot lather when face lathering . Load cream or load off a soap then build lather in Bill bowl then use brush skuttle to keep lather in brush warm . I also fill my bill bowl with very warm water to rinse my razor shaving. When your done the brush skuttle 2 pieces stack nicely in the bill bowl to keep it all together for storage. Highly recomend

Dirty bird makes a brush skuttle and bill bowls . With this combo you can enjoy hot lather when face lathering . Load cream or load off a soap then build lather in Bill bowl then use brush skuttle to keep lather in brush warm . I also fill my bill bowl with very warm water to rinse my razor shaving. When your done the brush skuttle 2 pieces stack nicely in the bill bowl to keep it all together for storage. Highly recomend

Thank you, I have found a potter in the UK who has agreed to make one for me, he makes larger scuttles so a smaller one should not be a problem. I see Johant1968's point and I agree with him but variation be the spice of life.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I had one and it ended up breaking (dropped on floor). It's nice but I do not mind if my lather is lukewarm for my 3rd pass. I also exclusively face lather except when I try a new product, I bowl lather.

I usse a brush scuttle. Wonderful place to park your brush while you shave and the lathre is nice and warm when you go back and apply another batch of it.

Would not be without a brush scuttle.

I use a gravy warmer/server I got from a local import shop for $8 which works very well. Have given some thought about getting a "real" brush scuttle and may do it some day but for now I will keep using my gravy warmer

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/266466?p=3698726#post3698726

A cheaper alternative would be to find two bowls that fit into each other and fill the bottom one with hot water.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the answers gentlemen. My mind is pretty much made up by now. If for some reason I should regret my purchase, it will make a nice gift.

Top Bottom