What's new

Schick Krona Questions

It is a great razor.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1428106388296.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1428106388296.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 246
Personna blue is my go-to stubble slicer blade, so I loaded one in my "new" Schick Krona, pictured in previous post, for my first shave with my new PerKrona...or should that be the KroSonna...

In any event this combo was a winner this a.m. The acid test is using alcohol based AS on the neck afterward (Proraso green). I do the Gillette slide for the cheeks, then a N/S pass on the neck and I'm done.

Slapped on the Proraso green and the feedback was just a cool sensation letting you know it was on...that was it!

Unlike virtually all other DE razors, the Krona handle tapers toward the head, which I found encouraged me to grip the razor closer to the head. I typically don't do this with other razors with uniform handle diameter, but for some reason this gripping technique worked great.

I also have found my new travel razor/blade combo.

So I received my second Krona today. This one, by the research others have done, is one of the later production models with plastic TTO knob.

proxy.php

This razor is (left to right), a 1-3 over 1-M:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Under the razor head stamped in one line is "Schick Made in U.S.A." on one side. On the other side, stamped in one line is "Patents Pending".

This is also the second Krona I've examined in which the upper handle ferule (?) is not solidly staked or swaged to the baseplate, or at one time was and loosened with use and wear. This requires the user to grip the razor head by the hinge arms to fully tighten the TTO knob, other wise the head will begin turning before fully tightening.

There are no stampings inside the doors:

proxy.php

There is also discernible lateral wobble in the plastic TTO knob when fully loosened. My earlier, metal knob Krona has no such lateral wobble. Coupled with the razors lighter weight, this increases the perception (real or imagined) that the razor has a somewhat lower build quality than earlier production models.

After having compared both early and later models (I have zero idea how much time exists between these two in production life), I prefer the earlier, metal TTO knob model, both for weight and general perception of solidity.

Side image of the two, with early on right, later on left:

proxy.php

After shaving with the early model this morning, I also like it enough that I want to use it for my travel razor. A good, middle of the road shaver that when coupled with a Personna blue, delivered a smooth, quality shave.

Thanks! Is anyone aware if the TTO mechanism can be lubricated in any way? When opening my Krona it sounds like metal on metal. Also, can the "gold" plated Kronas be cleaned with scrubbing bubbles? I don't want to ruin the finish, but while the razor is like new, I want to give it a cleaning.

Brand: Schick
Knob: Metal, triangle logo
Door Baseplate: Blank
Code Top Row: 1 4
Code Bottom Row: M 5
Weight: 55 grams
Case: Off white with 2 blades and instructions in Swedish and English.

Interesting. As far as dating these go, the copyright date of 1965 seems to put these razors (the metal knob TTO) into a later era of production than I had originally thought. So we are talking at least mid to latter 60's.

Thanks for sharing.

I found this Schick Double Edge Razor advertisement from 1972 (Newspaper: Niagara Falls Gazette), probably one of the very last advertisement for this razor. It Doesn't mean that they stopped selling it, just that it wasn't worth paying for an ad.

proxy.php

And Here's the last mention of the Schick Double Edge Razor, in an advertisement from 1975 (Newspaper: Utica Observer).
proxy.php

''Entries must be postmarked by 12/31/75 and received by 1/12/76"

proxy.php

So yes, the Schick Double Edge Razor was still on the shelves in 1976, however I believe it was there until at least 1977.

Last edited:
Top Bottom