What's new

Schick Hydro 3 and 5

I will agree with the most recent post and say that it truly isn't a bad razor. The improvements over the Quattro are noticeable and Schick really spent some time on this bad boy. To keep the review as short but informative as possible, i'll basically review by pros and cons here.

Pros:

- Massive amount of lubrication in the gel strip.

- Lubrication strip is housed in a plastic casing which prevents the whole thing from being exposed at once and used up so quickly.

- Blades are sharp and pretty smooth with a relative lack of pulling or snagging, even on my thick facial hair.

- The new skin protector system with the bars on the blades does seem to really help smooth the skin out but also has a con to it (see below). I don't suspect though that this system was any better than the wires over the blades (such as on the Schick Protector (a GREAT razor) or Quattro).

- The handle is fantastic and is the first time in a while that Schick has released a good handle to go with good blades.

- The lube strip does last a long time, I'm still using the first cartridge after maybe 3 head shaves, 3 face shaves, and doing my arms and other stuff a couple times. It is putting out less than in the beginning but it's still pumping a little bit out.

Cons:

- Being that there is a massive lube strip, I found that it gunked and created a slimy sort of goo for the first several shaves (3 or 4). This was particularly annoying because it seemed to defeat the purpose of using a nice shave cream. I don't know if the strip contains a large amount of glycerin or what but when used with Glycerin shave cream (Art of Shaving and Fraser's, I used both) it was excessive, resulting in a need for additional passes. Using a cheaper product such as Gillette Shave Foam and the Hydro Gel was better but I still noticed goop. It also prevented all the hair from being shaved because of the goop. It rinsed off the skin with no issues and didn't seem to clog blades when pounded by a shower stream, however.

- As I mentioned I didn't get a complete shave...there was roughness in areas that other razors cleaned up. This is better for avoiding ingrown hairs and it did seem to help in that regard, but if I still have hair on my face in several places after a single pass with 3 blades, I find that slightly problematic. A little here and there is no problem but I felt that I had to do a little too much touch up after the first pass. This may have been both a function of the bars on the blades and of the excess lubrication release.

- The cartridge head seemed overly bulky. I didn't compare it next to a Fusion but I got the feeling that it's about the same and this is only a 3 blade razor. Methinks the 5 blade cartridge must be a platform and a half.

- Although the handle was great, it was a little on the heavy side, yet still required pressure on the razor to get a decent shave. DE and Injector shaving taught me that pressure is no good so I don't understand why something with so much weight still required pressure to maneuver well.

- Even with all the lube, the extra touch ups and passes left me with a little bit of irritation. That's never good.

Overall, I'll give it a 7.5/10. On a side note, the Hydro gel is horrible. I snagged a can to try and it's terrible. It has the same smell and tingle/burn as Edge which makes me think it's made exactly the same. It also doesn't protect my skin very well. I got a lot more irritation when using this gel.

I will agree with the most recent post and say that it truly isn't a bad razor. The improvements over the Quattro are noticeable and Schick really spent some time on this bad boy. To keep the review as short but informative as possible, i'll basically review by pros and cons here.

Pros:

- Massive amount of lubrication in the gel strip.

- Lubrication strip is housed in a plastic casing which prevents the whole thing from being exposed at once and used up so quickly.

- Blades are sharp and pretty smooth with a relative lack of pulling or snagging, even on my thick facial hair.

- The new skin protector system with the bars on the blades does seem to really help smooth the skin out but also has a con to it (see below). I don't suspect though that this system was any better than the wires over the blades (such as on the Schick Protector (a GREAT razor) or Quattro).

- The handle is fantastic and is the first time in a while that Schick has released a good handle to go with good blades.

- The lube strip does last a long time, I'm still using the first cartridge after maybe 3 head shaves, 3 face shaves, and doing my arms and other stuff a couple times. It is putting out less than in the beginning but it's still pumping a little bit out.

Cons:

- Being that there is a massive lube strip, I found that it gunked and created a slimy sort of goo for the first several shaves (3 or 4). This was particularly annoying because it seemed to defeat the purpose of using a nice shave cream. I don't know if the strip contains a large amount of glycerin or what but when used with Glycerin shave cream (Art of Shaving and Fraser's, I used both) it was excessive, resulting in a need for additional passes. Using a cheaper product such as Gillette Shave Foam and the Hydro Gel was better but I still noticed goop. It also prevented all the hair from being shaved because of the goop. It rinsed off the skin with no issues and didn't seem to clog blades when pounded by a shower stream, however.

- As I mentioned I didn't get a complete shave...there was roughness in areas that other razors cleaned up. This is better for avoiding ingrown hairs and it did seem to help in that regard, but if I still have hair on my face in several places after a single pass with 3 blades, I find that slightly problematic. A little here and there is no problem but I felt that I had to do a little too much touch up after the first pass. This may have been both a function of the bars on the blades and of the excess lubrication release.

- The cartridge head seemed overly bulky. I didn't compare it next to a Fusion but I got the feeling that it's about the same and this is only a 3 blade razor. Methinks the 5 blade cartridge must be a platform and a half.

- Although the handle was great, it was a little on the heavy side, yet still required pressure on the razor to get a decent shave. DE and Injector shaving taught me that pressure is no good so I don't understand why something with so much weight still required pressure to maneuver well.

- Even with all the lube, the extra touch ups and passes left me with a little bit of irritation. That's never good.

Overall, I'll give it a 7.5/10. On a side note, the Hydro gel is horrible. I snagged a can to try and it's terrible. It has the same smell and tingle/burn as Edge which makes me think it's made exactly the same. It also doesn't protect my skin very well. I got a lot more irritation when using this gel.

Jethro1984.. Thanks for the update.. I got one of these in the mail yesterday and I will give it a try to see how it compares to some of my other cart razors in my spare drawer. I will keep you posted.

I sometimes shave with a cartridge razor when I'm in a hurry. I decided to buy the new Schick Hydro razor released earlier this month. They come in 5 and 3 blade models. I chose the "Hydro 3" model. The razor looks kind of gimmicky with the skin guards on the blades and the lubricating reservoir. The razor was completely redesigned and I shaved with it after a couple of days of beard growth and the razor delivered everything it promised on the package. I got a super close shave with zero irritation. No razor burn, no irritation anywhere, not even on the neck!

At first I didn't even think the razor was shaving, it just felt like I was pushing shaving cream around on my face, but it was cutting the stubble. I think the razor shaved closer than the Gillette Sensor Excel and shaved closer than any DE razor I've shaved with. I actually like the shave and turned out great. I highly recommend this cartridge razor if you need a backup razor for a quick shave. You probably don't need to buy the 5 blade model, I found that the 3 blade one works perfectly and the 5 blade version is just overkill.

I think the razor shaved closer than the Gillette Sensor Excel and shaved closer than any DE razor I've shaved with. I actually like the shave and turned out great. I highly recommend this cartridge razor if you need a backup razor for a quick shave. You probably don't need to buy the 5 blade model, I found that the 3 blade one works perfectly and the 5 blade version is just overkill.

How many passes did you do and in which direction?

I broke down and bought the 5 blade Hydro. I also got a very close, comfortable shave with zero irritation. I often alternate between a DE and either my Sensor Excel or now the new Hydro. I usually get just as close a shave with a cartridge than I do with a DE and just as many ingrowns. I usually do 2 N-S passes with a cartridge. The only real reason I keep trying to stick with a DE and not totally give up is the cost per blade versus the cartridge.

I did three passes, WTG, ATG, XTG. The razor was about $8 and the cartridges are about $20 for a pack of 8. But the Schick blades last a lot longer than the Gillette ones so won't have to buy any replacement cartridges for awhile since the razor comes with two already. Also I dry the blades after a shave which is supposed to extend the life of the blades.

Im on my 5th shave whit the Hydro 5 and the same blade and so far the quality of shave is 10/10.
Shaving whit that razor even got rid of my ingrown and irritation on the neck.
To be honest i might stick to the Hydro 5 in the futur, even if the cartridge are more expensive than DE blades.
But for sure i won't go back to can goo.
Good creams, soaps and brush will be there forever.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I just saw these at Walgreens today and didn't give it much attention until I saw the commercial on TV tonight. I see someone at Schick was paying attention. I can't help but wonder if they didn't get the idea from one of my earlier posts, like this one.

Pardon me for claiming the idea as original thought (even though my idea was slightly different, the concept was the same), but I really like this concept. I will have to give this a try.

The biggest problem with all multi-blades, until now, is that the lubrication is removed by the first blade and the rest are traveling over a relatively dry surface.

My favorite cartridge was the twin bladed Schick FX Diamond, so I am looking forward to revisiting a multi-blade that may actually work for me. I doubt I will give up my DE, but this could definitely make for a great travel companion.

I did three passes, WTG, ATG, XTG. The razor was about $8 and the cartridges are about $20 for a pack of 8. But the Schick blades last a lot longer than the Gillette ones so won't have to buy any replacement cartridges for awhile since the razor comes with two already. Also I dry the blades after a shave which is supposed to extend the life of the blades.

So $2.50 per cartridge, not ridiculous by modern major brand name standards. We'll no doubt see different claims on just how many good shaves you get with one cartridge. It's also an introductory period, so you have to wonder how quickly the prices will come up once they have a lot of users. Or whether the cartridges sold 3 years from now will be as long lasting as the ones sold now.

My experience with other cartridge razors is that, if I take the time to lather properly, I won't be any faster with them than I would be with an injector. Still, although I have no particular reason to try these new razors, there's no reason to rule out trying one either. I have nothing against cartridges as such, it's just that they seem overpriced without offering real advantages over single blade razors.

Anyway, you've tried this one, I haven't. Always interesting to see a review on new products.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I picked up a Hydro 3 today and gave it a whirl.

First impression: Works great! I was absolutely astounded at the performance of this device.

I will wait until I get a few more shaves in before I give it a review. Since someone else already reviewed it, that means I won't be the first, so there is no rush now.

I was wrong in my earlier post about the lubricating gel, as I thought it was placed between the blades. The only thing between the blades are the skin guards, which are probably the single most significant improvement since the invention of the multi-blade cartridge.

The price, at my local Walmart, for the refills is less than $2 each. I think it was between $6 and $7 plus change for a pack of four.

I did a three pass shave using Colonel Conk almond shave soap. I figured I would use a lathering product that is fairly plain, so as not to affect my judgment of the lube gel. It took me a minute or two to get used to using it, but then all went well.

The really noticeable difference between this cartridge and all others was on the ATG pass. I like to blade buff when I shave and that's where all other multiblades tear me to shreds. I was going back and forth like there was no tomorrow and there was absolutely no blood AND no irritation.

The end result: BBS with no irritation. That's right gentleman, BBS with no irritation.

Negatives:

It's a cartridge
Costs more that 50 cents
Slimy, the lube gel feels slimy on my face, but it does a great job
Trimming around side burns and my goatee were about what I would expect from any cartridge. I had to do those areas with my DE.

I don't see myself tossing my DE's anytime soon, but for the masses, I think this is the best multiblade cartridge to hit the market. Almost makes me wish I owned stock in Schick/Energizer instead of P&G.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Here is a link to the first review of this product.

When I first saw this review, last night, and the low post count of the reviewer I thought this might be a shill from Schick. So I decided to get one today and try it, thinking that it would be fun to discredit the review and the reviewer if it was anything less than stellar and I hate to disappoint you guys, but I can't do that because it really is that good.

OK, now you guys have me really curious about this razor. I'll have to pick one up before I head out on my business trip and see how it works.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
OK, now you guys have me really curious about this razor. I'll have to pick one up before I head out on my business trip and see how it works.

One thing I know for sure, it will definitely be my new carry-on razor when flying.

I've been shaving with a '56 super speed loaded with a feather razor for the last month now. Been DE shaving for only about 3 months total. I'm finally getting fantastic shaves with the above razor and blade. Before DE shaving I used the Schick Quattro titanium, so when this Schick Hydro came out I was a bit curious. Picked one up at a walgreens on promotion. 7 something for the razor with a $5 off coupon on your next purchase. So for $2 I figured I'd give it a try. Now as far as the experience goes, I hate this razor compared to DE shaving. This razor is truly for those who could care less about the detail involved in shaving. However, as for the actual shave itself...it's quite good. Much better than the Quattro, and pretty close to as good as my '56 super speed/feather blade combo. After DE shaving for 3 months now I've gotten used to a very light touch while shaving. To get a good shave out of the Hydro you do have to apply what I feel like is quite a bit of pressure to get a good shave, but I've gotten a weeks worth of great shaves with this Hydro 5 razor and my old Barbesol original shave cream without any razor burn or problems. This never happened with my quattro. I always had razor burn on my jawline. That's why I starting DE shaving in the first place. I won't be switching to it because I love the experience of DE shaving, (not to mention the low cost of blades compared to cartridges) but this razor is probably the best cartridge on the market right now. 6 Great shaves with it over the course of a week. Will certainly be my go to quick/travel razor.

Top Bottom