What's new

Schick Hydro 3 and 5

I will agree with the most recent post and say that it truly isn't a bad razor. The improvements over the Quattro are noticeable and Schick really spent some time on this bad boy. To keep the review as short but informative as possible, i'll basically review by pros and cons here.

Pros:

- Massive amount of lubrication in the gel strip.

- Lubrication strip is housed in a plastic casing which prevents the whole thing from being exposed at once and used up so quickly.

- Blades are sharp and pretty smooth with a relative lack of pulling or snagging, even on my thick facial hair.

- The new skin protector system with the bars on the blades does seem to really help smooth the skin out but also has a con to it (see below). I don't suspect though that this system was any better than the wires over the blades (such as on the Schick Protector (a GREAT razor) or Quattro).

- The handle is fantastic and is the first time in a while that Schick has released a good handle to go with good blades.

- The lube strip does last a long time, I'm still using the first cartridge after maybe 3 head shaves, 3 face shaves, and doing my arms and other stuff a couple times. It is putting out less than in the beginning but it's still pumping a little bit out.

Cons:

- Being that there is a massive lube strip, I found that it gunked and created a slimy sort of goo for the first several shaves (3 or 4). This was particularly annoying because it seemed to defeat the purpose of using a nice shave cream. I don't know if the strip contains a large amount of glycerin or what but when used with Glycerin shave cream (Art of Shaving and Fraser's, I used both) it was excessive, resulting in a need for additional passes. Using a cheaper product such as Gillette Shave Foam and the Hydro Gel was better but I still noticed goop. It also prevented all the hair from being shaved because of the goop. It rinsed off the skin with no issues and didn't seem to clog blades when pounded by a shower stream, however.

- As I mentioned I didn't get a complete shave...there was roughness in areas that other razors cleaned up. This is better for avoiding ingrown hairs and it did seem to help in that regard, but if I still have hair on my face in several places after a single pass with 3 blades, I find that slightly problematic. A little here and there is no problem but I felt that I had to do a little too much touch up after the first pass. This may have been both a function of the bars on the blades and of the excess lubrication release.

- The cartridge head seemed overly bulky. I didn't compare it next to a Fusion but I got the feeling that it's about the same and this is only a 3 blade razor. Methinks the 5 blade cartridge must be a platform and a half.

- Although the handle was great, it was a little on the heavy side, yet still required pressure on the razor to get a decent shave. DE and Injector shaving taught me that pressure is no good so I don't understand why something with so much weight still required pressure to maneuver well.

- Even with all the lube, the extra touch ups and passes left me with a little bit of irritation. That's never good.

Overall, I'll give it a 7.5/10. On a side note, the Hydro gel is horrible. I snagged a can to try and it's terrible. It has the same smell and tingle/burn as Edge which makes me think it's made exactly the same. It also doesn't protect my skin very well. I got a lot more irritation when using this gel.

Thanks

Regarding the Hydro Gel, would you same it's the same as Edge, or worse ?

Not unless someone wants to provide me with a razor, and a couple of blades at zero cost to me (but even then there would be a cost involved for me: the cost of missing out on superior shaves; we only have so many wonderful shaves to experience in our lifetimes!).

Despite having said the above, I was able to pick up a Schick Hydro 3 (not the Hydro 5, as five blades is ridiculous), for a mere $2.99 at Wal-Greens ($7.99- $5 register reward), so I thought I would give this newest, latest, greatest razor a shake down.

Besides, I am taking a few days off of straight razor shaving (I am on about shave #25, and thus still learning) to let my face heal a bit.

Wednesday April 28th 2010

Schick Hydro 3
Omega 21139 Boar Brush
T and H Rose SC
Witch Hazel
Vintage Seaforth Heather Aftershave

The overall shave was actually of very nice quality; I am a little surprised. :blink:

I did a WTG, and XTG pass. The gel reservoir pretty much makes this razor idiot proof, as the gel combines with the lather to create a very slick substance that can't really be shaved off of the face. Even after multiple passes, some of the slickness remains.

I did of course use no pressure, so I don't know how this razor would perform if I really bared down as most men likely would.

While I personally would use a Trac II/Atra if I were going to use a cartridge razor primarily (as more than two blades is overkill) the Hydro is in my opinion probably the best of the current production razors. It certainly beats the pants off the disaster that is the Fusion.

~John~

Last edited:
- Although the handle was great, it was a little on the heavy side, yet still required pressure on the razor to get a decent shave. DE and Injector shaving taught me that pressure is no good so I don't understand why something with so much weight still required pressure to maneuver well.

It's my understanding, that the pivot point on modern razors prevents the weight of the handle from transferring to the head. This is why putting a fancy all metal handle on your Mach 3 results in little change to the overall shave quality.

S

stubble trouble

have to admit i was curious about this cart razor, too. In addition to the lube reservoir, I noticed each individual blade has a face "shield" above it - almost like a DE system. Just an observation.

I use a cartidge razor when I travel. Anyone know whether you can switch between the 3 and 5 blade cartridge refills? Just curious because I ordered the 5 blade razor for $2 but would prefer to have the 3 blade refills.

If the Hydro is getting relatively good notices in this cartridge hostile environment, it ought to do pretty well with non-enthusiasts. Good, Gillette needs the competition.

I'll admit it, I picked up a 3 blade at the supermarket, even though it meant breaking the 2010 moratorium, and even though it may be a long time before I get to it.

My curiosity got the better of me and I picked up a Hydro 3 last night at Walgreens ($7.99 for the handle and two cartridges). I didn't have a huge amount of growth to really give the razor a workout this morning, but because I was running late and therefore going to do a cartridge shave anyway, I took the Schick for a spin. Being really lazy today, I paired it with Proraso foam after a nice hot shower.

One shave is not enough time to pass judgement on a razor, but my initial impression is quite favorable. I received quite possibly the smoothest cartridge shave I've ever had with the least effort. I'm hesitant to claim a BBS shave but I was extremely close to it this morning. The razor glides very smoothly and I felt no skipping or dragging anywhere on my face and I think the pivoting system is superior to the Mach 3 approach. Most importantly in my book, this is the first time I was ever able to shave my throat without any irritation at all; in fact, I can't remember a smoother shave in that area from any razor.

I'll continue testing the Hydro 3 until I've used up both cartridges but so far, so good.

Has anyone tried the 5 bladed version yet?

Yeah, a lot of good reviews of the 3 blade. I was indifferent at the initial release, myself, but after reading some positive reviews here, I may go pick one up.

I'm curious about the 5 blade, though. Clearly it's a way to charge higher cartridge prices, but could they release a 3 blade and a 5 blade version simultaneously without the 5 blade version performing at least a little better? (I'm surmising that maybe Schick HAD to put out a 5 blade version, since in the minds of the buying public this would be register as an "improvement" over the 4 blade Quattro. But does the 5 blade actually perform better than the 3 blade Hydro?)

I'm planning on using it as an emergency razor - when I'm rushed and can't use my DE. Because I'll use it maybe 4 or 5 times a year, the difference in cartridge cost wouldn't be an issue.

Hydro 5, anyone?

K.T.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried the 5 bladed version yet?

Yeah, a lot of good reviews of the 3 blade. I was indifferent at the initial release, myself, but after reading some positive reviews here, I may go pick one up.

I'm curious about the 5 blade, though. Clearly it's a way to charge higher cartridge prices, but could they release a 3 blade and a 5 blade version simultaneously without the 5 blade version performing at least a little better? (I'm surmising that maybe Schick HAD to put out a 5 blade version, since in the minds of the buying public this would be register as an "improvement" over the 4 blade Quattro. But does the 5 blade actually perform better than the 3 blade Hydro?)

I'm planning on using it as an emergency razor - when I'm rushed and can't use my DE. Because I'll use it maybe 4 or 5 times a year, the difference in cartridge cost wouldn't be an issue.

Hydro 5, anyone?

K.T.

ShaveAddict did, here's his review: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=145797

The Schick Hydro 3 had sped up my showers greatly. I'm talking about headshaving. Zoom zoom. Done deal. No irritation and FAST. Super smooth. I'm not a headshaving veteran but in the short time I've been stripping my brain bucket, I've tried lots of different equipment. This new Schick and Real Shaving Cream seem to be topping the list for speed, comfort, and genuine results. I'm amazed at how this thing doesn't clog. I can take multiple strokes with no clogging, in spite of the "skin smoothing inserts" between the blades. Durn thing shaves like a champ. I'm STILL on my first cart!!

If you're looking to maintain a chrome dome and want to speed things along, give this razor (and Real Shaving Cream) a chance. You'll find yourself running a few minutes early for a change. Nothing wrong with getting out of the bathroom a little ahead of schedule. The womenfolk in your household will sure appreciate THAT! :001_wub:

Last edited:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Just finished shave #3 at a truck stop in eastern PA.

I did a three pass shave and the result is absolutely amazing and no irritation, not even the tricky area around my Adam's apple.

OK, the positive reviews are coming in. I was curious, so I went for the $2.99 deal at Walgreens.

I sprung for the 5 blade model. While both thee 3 and 5 blade are getting good reviews, I haven't seen a direct comparison between the two yet. Has anyone tried them both?

I'm always curious to know, given they can be purchased right now for the same price. It's good to know if there are any serious design or performance concerns that would recommend one over the other.

My first shave with it will be today. I'll post my impressions.

While all of us here are big proponents of DE shaving, I'm glad to see us keeping open minds, and judging this new crop of cartridge razors for their performance. If they turn out to be good shavers, the only real criticism would be the cost of cartridges (and whatever steps these companies take to diminish our wet shaving choices, limiting them to only these cartridge systems).

K.T.

OK, the positive reviews are coming in. I was curious, so I went for the $2.99 deal at Walgreens.

I sprung for the 5 blade model. While both thee 3 and 5 blade are getting good reviews, I haven't seen a direct comparison between the two yet. Has anyone tried them both?

I'm always curious to know, given they can be purchased right now for the same price. It's good to know if there are any serious design or performance concerns that would recommend one over the other.

My first shave with it will be today. I'll post my impressions.

While all of us here are big proponents of DE shaving, I'm glad to see us keeping open minds, and judging this new crop of cartridge razors for their performance. If they turn out to be good shavers, the only real criticism would be the cost of cartridges (and whatever steps these companies take to diminish our wet shaving choices, limiting them to only these cartridge systems).

K.T.

I tried both.
The Hydro 5 is great and gives a very smooth shave, you can see my review in the review section.
But yesterday i went to my local pharmacy whit my girlfriend and while she was looking at her makeup stuff i went in the shaving departement:drool:
And while i was looking at the aftershaves it's almost like if the Hydro 3 stand was talking to me to get one, so i grabbed one.
And this morning was shave number 1 whit the Hydro 3.
It went pretty well,
smooth and no irritation shave, and i shaved pretty fast , i had not much time since i was almost late to work.
I would say the Hydro 3 is a step up aggressive than the Hydro 5,
i mean, you feel the blades more than whit the Hydro 5.
My opinion is the Hydro 3 works like a charm on WTG passes, while on ATG and XTG passes it's a bit more irritating, but when i say irritating it's nothing close to what you get whit other cartridges razors.
And the Hydro 5 in my opinion performs better on ATG and XTG passes, it gets you BBS without any irritation while on WTG passes you don't really feel like the blades are cutting hairs , more removing shaving cream, but don't worry it's cutting.
Another point is whit the Hydro 3 i found it easier to shave the neck , 2 pass and done, while whit the Hydro 5 you need to repass more.
My verdict would be if you have a very very sensitive skin, prone to ingrown hairs and razor burn(like mine), the Hydro 5 is for you.
Otherwise the Hydro 3 will do the job very well .

Thanks, Jon.

That was a really helpful comparison. I've got the Hydro 5, now, and by golly, at the sale price I'm really tempted to pick up the 3.

I had my first shave with the 5 today. First off, there is a bit of a learning curve. Not nearly as steep as with DE shaving, but it does require a different technique.

First off, the Hydro 5 does have an immediately noticeable characteristic: The blade platform is pretty large. I guess it's unavoidable when you pack 5 blades onto a cartridge, and then add the stretching bar below, and the hydration bar above. Whether it will impede your shave or not will depend on a couple of different things: How large your face is, how flat or smooth the planes of your face are, and how many small nooks and curves you have on your face. If you have a larger face with mostly smooth or flat planes and very few nooks and crannies, the size won't be a problem.

For me, it took a little while to figure out how to use the head on my face. I had a little trouble around the corners of my mouth, directly under my lower lip, and on some of my moustache area. The platform simply felt too big. To shave those areas, I had to use just a portion of the platform, which gave the sensation that I could scrape off more skin than I wanted.

Which brings up a second characteristic. I think this razor is designed to be pressed onto the face with some pressure. Pressing it down flattens out the skin, distributes the pressure evenly amongst the five blades, and does make for an effortless, smooth shave on those flattened areas. When I used less pressure, particularly when navigating the smaller curves and crannies on my face, or when I had to use just a portion of the platform, I felt like the individual blades were scraping my skin more than I wanted. In fact, I gave myself a weeper on my moustache area because of that.

Because I was figuring out how to use the head, particularly how to cut in the nooks and crannies of my face without cutting or irritating my skin, it was an effort to get to BBS. I think I'll figure out how to do it with much less effort, but I'll need at least a couple more shaves to get there. I'm still experimenting with pressure and will soon figure out if the size of the head is a problem for me or not. I did get mostly to BBS, but I got more irritation than I wanted.

This is a gross exaggeration, but shaving with such a big head conjured up images of rubbing the flat side of a cassette tape over my face, trying to figure out, all-the-while, how to hit the curves and valleys of my face with such a large, flat surface. It wasn't nearly that extreme, of course.

Another observation: the Hydro 5 does shave the neck and jawline extremely well. It was much easier than with my DE razors. I was really pleased with the results here.

And finally, it seems to want slickness, but not cushioning. I can see how Schick would recommend a gel instead of foam. I think because you have to press down on the head, a thick cushioning layer of foam might get in the way. I used a thin layer of KMF slathered on without a brush and that seemed to work well. Just a little splash of water when it felt dry and the slickness returned.

So my first shave with the Hydro 5 was not unbelievably fantastic, but I'll give it a good positive review. Pretty good for a first go, and I can see the potential to get a really close, irritation-free shave. After I figure out the right pressure, and the right technique to shave the nooks and crannies with the big, flat head, I'll be expecting great results.

It may be that the narrower 3 blade version will work better than the 5 blade for me, however. We'll see.

K.T.

Last edited:
After reading this thread I went out and picked one up (3 blade type) and tried it this morning. It does have a learning curve, and it seemed my excellent AOS Lemon lather was dumbed down by the goo/lube from the cartridge.

And man, your face feels like it is covered in slime with this razor. The slime is really really slick, but my insticnt was to press harder to cut through the layer of slime...I don't know if I am supposed to or not, but it certainly required more pressure than my DE.

Overall the shave was not bad, although I feel I should be using a can of cheap shave cream rather than my good stuff. I will admit there was no irritation and the shave was not super duper close (which is what I like since I am prone to ingrows)

I will use it for a while just to see if there is more technique than I give it credit for.

Someone asked this question, but I haven't seen the answer yet. Does the same handle take both the 3 and 5 blade cartridges? When someone knows, I'm just curious.

Top Bottom