What's new

Scent/Fragrance of the Day - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
proxy.php

$4582191184_d5868dfb47_o.jpg$4595635868_78ba70498c_o.jpg

Just received my bottle yesterday and am currently on my maiden voyage with it. Started cautiously with just one spray to the chest and so far, so good. Slightly astringent, very herbal and green, an ever so gentle earthiness.

The familiarity of the top notes had my head swimming - where have I smelled this before? Diptyque Tam Dao.

My only complaint is that it is wearing extremely close to my skin. I'm hoping an additional spray will give it that little extra bit of oompf I'm looking for.

I like this a lot.

Clarification: This is the "new, old" bottle, which many believe has taken steps back towards the original prior to the ribbed, frosted bottle version circa 2000-2011. My amateur nose gets no citrus and minimal tobacco. Vetiver is definitely in the spotlight again.

Last edited:
Montale "Patchouli Leaves"--excellent patchouli notes overwhelmed by vanilla. And a vanilla closer to vanilla extract than say what is in, say, Caron PH or Lolita Lempicka, to my nose. A very close relative to Montale "Blue Amber," as I recall. I don't like it, because of the vanilla. Sort of gourmond, although it is hard for me to think of anything with patchouli being like "food." I like my patchoulis to be more "junglely"! But I know there are others that really like precisely this kind of vanilla note(s), and I completely respect that and Montale for putting this one together.

Oddly, while I like both chocolate and coffee, I notice that I'm not very attracted to fragrances where these notes predominate. On the other hand, I never order vanilla cake or ice cream, but I tend to be very attracted to the fragrances where it is central. I much prefer Patchouli Leaves and Eau des Baux to New Haarlem and A*men.

One of the things I've most enjoyed about this forum is reading the descriptions of fragrances and why someone may like or dislike any particular scent. Prior to becoming a regular here, I could pick out the fragrances that I liked, but probably couldn't say what it was about it them that attracted me. I've come to find that, by writing down my thoughts and reading the comments of the people here, it is much easier to tell what I am likely to enjoy or not.

I never wore rose before coming here, and I've found a handful of rose fragrances that I absolutely love (Windsor, 1913, Tribute Attar, Black Aoud etc.) and I'm a sucker for frankincense, leather and oud. I'm curious to see what discoveries I'll find with the spotlight fragrances. It should be fun, as long as my wallet holds out.

Mike

Oddly, while I like both chocolate and coffee, I notice that I'm not very attracted to fragrances where these notes predominate. On the other hand, I never order vanilla cake or ice cream, but I tend to be very attracted to the fragrances where it is central. I much prefer Patchouli Leaves and Eau des Baux to New Haarlem and A*men.

One of the things I've most enjoyed about this forum is reading the descriptions of fragrances and why someone may like or dislike any particular scent. Prior to becoming a regular here, I could pick out the fragrances that I liked, but probably couldn't say what it was about it them that attracted me. I've come to find that, by writing down my thoughts and reading the comments of the people here, it is much easier to tell what I am likely to enjoy or not.

I never wore rose before coming here, and I've found a handful of rose fragrances that I absolutely love (Windsor, 1913, Tribute Attar, Black Aoud etc.) and I'm a sucker for frankincense, leather and oud. I'm curious to see what discoveries I'll find with the spotlight fragrances. It should be fun, as long as my wallet holds out.

Mike

<Oddly, while I like both chocolate and coffee>

You mean you like the confection and the beverage, right? Not simply scents that have some more subtle note of these in them, right?

I absolutely love chocolate and coffee. Fantastically complex aromas and tastes in food and beverage form, with wide variations. But I am sure not much attracted to either in scents either, except in very subsidiary roles.

And I, too, do not find myself ordering up much that is vanilla flavored, except, I suppose, things like crem brulee and maybe some dessert sauces, which can have very complex aromas and tastes themselves. Whereas I do like many scents that have a lot of vanilla to them. I like Caron pour Homme and Lolita Lempicka, for instance. Maybe not many vanilla centric scents though. Pinaud Eau de Vanilla Cologne is an interesting one and one I like a whole lot, but I despite the name, I do not think it is actually vanilla centric.

But I have assumed that one reason I like the vanilla in these scents is that it is really something of a vanilla flower we are smelling, not the vanilla extract that comes from vanilla beans, so that the vanilla in scents is most often truly a type of floral. I could be very wrong, though! I cannot really remember what Eau des Baux is like, but I think I liked it fine, and it seemed fairly flowery. Maybe I am influenced by it being from Provence, with all of the lavender, etc.

But Patchouli Leaves to me seemed more vanilla extract-y. As have some of the other gourmands. I should be able to names some, but an drawing a blank.

I know that this is the type of thing that I may some day take an embarassing 180 on--I generally end up liking things that folks with good noses like, even if I do not like them at first--but as far as I can tell so far gourmands largely just do not do it for me. I know that Lolita Lempicka may well be considered a gourmand, but it does not seem like the chocolate, coffee, vanilla extract, maple syrup, types of gourmands to me.

I think I recognize the vanilla in Patchouli Leaves as being high quality, and can understand why some folks would like it, but . . . .

We have certainly taken similar journeys.

So glad you are enjoying this forum and so glad you are here. (I take no credit for the quality of this forum, of course. All credit to the members who participate here. (And Randy!) I enjoy it, too.

Al-Mendoos
by Agar Aura

I may never wear regular perfumes again, and I'm just wading through the mukhallats! Of the four I tried this week, I believe this one was the best. The osmanthus in it was just enough, crisp yet mellow enough to give it a bit of brightness. I picked up the oud easily and I'm pretty sure some sandalwood but it's not mentioned on the website. Cedar, yes, but I didn't really get cedar as much as I got sandalwood. This one uses Cambodian oud, which I've determined I like but will know better once I try the pure oud samples. I really loved the leathery, woody, and floral aspects of this one. In fact, I was in an all day meeting again and it didn't feel awkward at all. In fact, several times I was wondering who smelled so good only to find out in the car on the way back it was me. Something kinda fruity/musky/floral was slipping through...my soul I believe. I was reminded of Renee Fleming singing the fourth of Strauss' Four Last Songs (Im Abendrot).

Last edited by a moderator:
Al-Mendoos
by Agar Aura

I may never wear regular perfumes again, and I'm just wading through the mukhallats! Of the four I tried this week, I believe this one was the best. The osmanthus in it was just enough, crisp yet mellow enough to give it a bit of brightness. I picked up the oud easily and I'm pretty sure some sandalwood but it's not mentioned on the website. Cedar, yes, but I didn't really get cedar as much as I got sandalwood. This one uses Cambodian oud, which I've determined I like but will know better once I try the pure oud samples. I really loved the leathery, woody, and floral aspects of this one. In fact, I was in an all day meeting again and it didn't feel awkward at all. In fact, several times I was wondering who smelled so good only to find out in the car on the way back it was me. Something kinda fruity/musky/floral was slipping through...my soul I believe. I was reminded of Renee Fleming singing the fourth of Strauss' Four Last Songs (Im Abendrot).

Jesus...that music is beautiful. I love the association of scent with sound!!

Pretty sure I have a sample of this. Might have to break it out after listening to this tune!

So what do you think of this seminal, absolutely classic, old school, perhaps dandyish, rather distinct from most frags out there today scent? "Gentleman's Handkerchief."

It was a nice scent. It didn't blow me away, but I enjoyed it. I was expecting a civet blast, but instead I got the citrus top with an undercurrent of very reserved civet. The dry down was quite nice with the lavender and vanilla dominating. I've heard it doesn't have great longevity, but it lasted all day on me (although it did wear very close to the skin). Overall, I can see why it is considered a classic and a wonderful scent. I need to wear it more to really pass judgment, but I would categorize it as a nice scent...

I'm going to try Baxter of California's Bravado 3 for the first time today. Had the Bravado 2 yesterday and enjoyed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom