What's new

Scarves

I received a scarf for Christmas from my girlfriend's family, and it occurred to me that (a) I have never owned a scarf and (2) I am not even sure what the proper etiquette and fashion is around a scarf.

SO!!!
Let's hear your scarf guidelines. :) What should I pair it with? Is it okay without a jacket? What should I do with it in a restaurant without a coat check? Etcetera etcetera etcetera.

I received a scarf for Christmas from my girlfriend's family, and it occurred to me that (a) I have never owned a scarf and (2) I am not even sure what the proper etiquette and fashion is around a scarf.

SO!!!
Let's hear your scarf guidelines. :) What should I pair it with? Is it okay without a jacket? What should I do with it in a restaurant without a coat check? Etcetera etcetera etcetera.

I follow the very simple etiquette of having a scarf when I have an open neck coat... any. It's for keeping your neck warm not to follow an etiquette ;)
PS: But I'm sure there are some gentlemen out there who know better :tongue_sm

SO!!!

A lot of body heat can be lost from the neck. I wear a scarf if I am going to be outside a long time in cold, windy weather. I wear it under my coat. I wrap it around my neck once so that a loose end hangs down both front and back.

It can be stuffed inside a sleeve of a coat when at a restaurant. Then it gets dealt with however the coat is dealt with.

If, like Snoopy, I ever fly in an open cockpit plane I will wear a scarf!

SO!!!

Woolen or silk? Short or long?

I have a scarf that I received for christmas as well...

I wrap it around my neck, under my coat, as it doesn't have a hood. Keeps your neck warm, and you can pull it up over your face to keep your chin/mouth area warm too, if it's windy.

Also, I will wrap it around my kids head, body, hands, feet, whatever, if they may be showing to keep them warm.

silky and longish. feel free to advise regardless of type though. :)

Well, if it was a woolen scarf, it's made only to keep you warm on particularly cold days. Silk scarves give you more options, it tilts a bit further towards fashion and away from function. A really fine silk scarf can be worn with any coat, if it's a bit rougher/heavier you may not want to wear it with a blazer or light jacket.

Lay it around your neck and let one end cross over the other to seal up the open area at the front of your jacket. Any kind of knot or loop is tough to pull off - better to err on the side of not doing so unless you have the style and look down. Never wear a scarf inside unless you're a hipster doofus.

Well, if it was a woolen scarf, it's made only to keep you warm on particularly cold days. Silk scarves give you more options, it tilts a bit further towards fashion and away from function. A really fine silk scarf can be worn with any coat, if it's a bit rougher/heavier you may not want to wear it with a blazer or light jacket.

Lay it around your neck and let one end cross over the other to seal up the open area at the front of your jacket. Any kind of knot or loop is tough to pull off - better to err on the side of not doing so unless you have the style and look down. Never wear a scarf inside unless you're a hipster doofus.

At first when I read "Never wear a scarf inside ..." I thought you were talking about inside the jacket. It took a few turns of the squeaky hamster wheel to realize you meant indoors, as it's something I would never think of doing. :lol:

Well let's see. I generally don't wear my scarf without a coat or sweater or anything. Because, yeah, you'll look like a hipster doofus. The least amount of upper body warmth I'll wear it with is a zip up sweater, with the scarf tucked in. In that case, I'll wear it inside sometimes because my mom is stingy with the heat, so it's oft cold in here.

Generally I wear one with a sweater and peacoat. Looks pretty classy I think.

Regarding tying a scarf: All mine are of the non-silky variety, just fyi. There are two ways I know of:
One is to basically halve it, and slip-knot it around your neck. This is the way most girls wear theirs, but I find no problem in it. It's great if you're in and out and need to take it off and put it on quickly.
The other involves draping it around the back of your neck. One side should be about 1/2 as long as the other. Wrap the long end around your neck, then bring it around the other side (to 'grab' it) then bring it up (under both layers) and through so that the knot is at the front of your neck.

Did that make sense?
Maybe I'll provide pics. :)

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis

SO!!!
endcycle:
In my Army (Whoa!!!), service, our regulation Dress Scarves were black and of either wool, silk, or rayon, of a commercial design (so I wore Cashmere...and still do), and approximately 12in wide by 52in long.

"The scarf was worn [and I still do wear it this way..just can't get out the Army dust...old habits are hard to die], folded in half lengthwise, with the lengths crossed left over right at the neck, and the ends of the scarf tucked neatly into the neckline of the outer garment [car, wool or cashmere over-coat]. When worn properly, the folded portion of the scarf may be slightly visible above the collar of the outer garment".

Hope this helps :biggrin1:

Christopher :tank:

Last edited:
Hold scarf lenghtwide in front of you. Tuck middle portion under chin. Wrap each end behind your neck until they fall in front of the opposite shoulder.

silky and longish. feel free to advise regardless of type though. :)

Well, this part is important. We might be talking about a little stylish silk scarf from 1967, on that Scooby Doo character Fred. We might be talking about a Doctor Who scarf. There is a big difference. On both extremes, I have no fashion advice. Actually, I do not think any fashion advice is appropriate in either case.

I have no idea if there is a fashion ettiquite with scarves, as the closest thing I owned to a scarf was the one for my Navy dress blues and whites. My wife has a bunch of fancy ones she got while overseas, but I guess thats a different story.

BTW the best way to wear a scarf (not sure how much aligned to etiquette) is to fold it in half lenghtwise, then fold in half so that it forms an "U", put it around your neck and stick the loose two ends through the created "U" loop. Quick & effective.

What should I pair it with?

Anything, jeans and t-shirt, trousers & shirt, jogging bottoms & polo shirt

Is it okay without a jacket?

If its that cold out you will probably will be wearing a jacket but, if its a little breezy and the scarf keeps you cosy & stops the wind getting down your neck go for it!

What should I do with it in a restaurant without a coat check?

I normally put mine (which is very thin) in a pocket then put the coat on a chair or if its thicker fold it in half, put it over the back of the chair and then put your coat on top of it to hold it in place

BTW the best way to wear a scarf (not sure how much aligned to etiquette) is to fold it in half lenghtwise, then fold in half so that it forms an "U", put it around your neck and stick the loose two ends through the created "U" loop. Quick & effective.
That is how I have always seen it done.

This is how I always wear my scarf (I say always, but just bought my first scarf a few weeks ago and immediately curse myself for not having one for years).

I have been looking for the gray and black scarf from Despicable Me, but am unsuccessful. Being the DIY type person that I am, I guess I'll be teaching myself to knit when I get some downtime.

Cashmere, dirt cheap in this neck of the woods. Take the scarf, fold it in half, thus making it 50% shorter,place it over your neck and run the 2 open ends through the closed end thus forming a slip knot. The scarf can then be worn as tightly or as loose as your needs desire. I never really bothered with scarves myself but the first winter here in China made me realise that layering up is as important as ever. Scarves, in my opinion, count as a layer. Wear the scarf over your pullover or jacket but below your over coat as the chest and neck area can loose important amounts of heat in the bronchial area of the body....

Top Bottom