What's new

SC or SS Rotation Method

With all the SCAD, SSAD and RAD, I'm wondering what your method for "rotation" is when it come to deciding on what combo to use. I now have a small but growing shave den with more on the way. How do you decide? Thus far I use the razor, blade and SC or SS combo for 4-5 days. When it is time to change the blades, I mix up the razor and SC or SS combo (I currently alternate between 3 razors HD, Mergress and Fat Boy). So for me it is blade dependent. My choice of what SC or SS to use is not systematically, but instead random. I'm thinking of changing that so, as a relative newbie, I can keep notes on quality of shave.

I'd like to hear what everyone is doing....

My rotation is fairly random. I will usually stick with a specific razor until a blade change is necessary (which is usually only 2-3 shaves), but I have been known to skip around more frequently. When it comes to the cream/soap/brush decision, I either pick a lathering product first and a brush to match or vice versa. Usually the only product repetition that occurs is when I'm using a new product or testing something.

I find some scent combo's to be brilliant while others are slightly distasteful IMO. It's a very personal thing, and of course YMMV, but for me combos like a sandalwood soap followed by a marine fresh AS and then a rose scented ASB are not elegant to say the least.
I like to combine according to scent groups. IMHO, Sandalwood should be followed by woodsy scents, musk or tobacco; lavender or violet by something light and fresh or mentholated, a.s.o. However, some more distant scent combo's will work just fine on me, like coconut followed by lime (a classic) or almond followed by musk.

Here are some examples of my favorite soap/cream/AS/ASB combinations:

shave 1:
-Truefitt&Hill SS
-Floid Blue AS
-Castle Forbes lavender ASB

shave 2:
-Trumper or Harris Almond cream/soap
-Brut Musk AS
-Harris ASM

shave 3:
-Trumper coconut soap/cream
-Harris Arlington AS or ASM
-Trumper limes skin food

shave 4:
-TOBS avocado cream
-Proraso AS

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I pick one soap and stick with it for the month. I rotate through my brushes in order, with 5 being designated as 'soap' brushes and the other 2 being 'cream' brushes. When I get to a 'cream' brush, I use whatever of my creams tickles my fancy that morning.

For choice of AS and/or balm, I rely on the tickled fancy method.

For choice of (straight) razor, it's usually my Feather AC on weekdays and a 'real' straight on weekends (now, if I waited for the need to change one of those blades ... )

I find that sticking with one soap for a significant period of time helps me develop my lathering technique for that product, giving better lather as the month progresses.

Top Bottom