What's new

Sassafras Shaving Soap?

Someone please buy it and report back.

I am toast if my wife finds one more shaving product in our mailbox.

Personally I would be a little cautious about soaps that list Olive Oil as the primary ingredient, very often these are difficult to lather and the lather has a very short lifespan.
Also, it is worth noting that Sassafras is banned from use in cosmetics in Europe due to concerns about it's potential carcinogenicity; whether this is a real cause for concern, or another example of overbearing Euro politicians telling us how to live our lives, I can't say, but it is worth noting.

Did not know that. I used to brew sassafras tea from a sassafras tree that was in our back yard. It was quite tasty. And toxic apparently. Sounds like small amounts of sassafras are okay per the FDA.

From Wikipedia:

The roots of Sassafras can be steeped to make tea and were used in the flavoring of root beer until being banned by the U. S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Laboratory animals that were given oral doses of sassafras tea or sassafras oil that contained safrole developed permanent liver damage or various types of cancer. In humans, liver damage can take years to develop and it may not have obvious signs.

In 1960, the FDA banned the use of sassafras oil and safrole in foods and drugs based on the animal studies and human case reports. Several years later, the sale of sassafras oil, roots, or tea for human consumption was prohibited by law[citation needed]. Subsequently, both Canada and the United States have passed laws against the sale of any consumable products (beverages, foods, cosmetics, health products such as toothpaste, and others) that contain more than specific small amounts of safrole.[7]

Did not know that. I used to brew sassafras tea from a sassafras tree that was in our back yard. It was quite tasty. And toxic apparently. Sounds like small amounts of sassafras are okay per the FDA.

From Wikipedia:

The roots of Sassafras can be steeped to make tea and were used in the flavoring of root beer until being banned by the U. S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Laboratory animals that were given oral doses of sassafras tea or sassafras oil that contained safrole developed permanent liver damage or various types of cancer. In humans, liver damage can take years to develop and it may not have obvious signs.

In 1960, the FDA banned the use of sassafras oil and safrole in foods and drugs based on the animal studies and human case reports. Several years later, the sale of sassafras oil, roots, or tea for human consumption was prohibited by law[citation needed]. Subsequently, both Canada and the United States have passed laws against the sale of any consumable products (beverages, foods, cosmetics, health products such as toothpaste, and others) that contain more than specific small amounts of safrole.[7]

Seriously? I used to buy sassafras tea in Missouri when I was a kid...and we brewed it from the tree in our backyard, too...I loved it!

Scary!

Wow that sounds like a great scent but I have found that these hand crafted, cold pressed soaps don't lather good. However, the soap does have castor oil added and I know that makes better lather in a soap.

Steve

the sassafras/safrole carcinogen scare was somewhat on the order of the saccharin cancer scare.ie--we will force an ungodly unrealistic amount into some lab rats in a short period of time and see what happens.
i think in humans you would have to eat a tree or two a day for months to get the same exposure.... govt science at its best.

Personally I would be a little cautious about soaps that list Olive Oil as the primary ingredient, very often these are difficult to lather and the lather has a very short lifespan.

That's exactly what I was going to say - I've tried Riana soap (as have some others here) very slick and nice to the skin, but the lather lasts about 2 seconds and if you superlather it, it tends to just ruin the lathering properties of the other cream/soap you use.

That's exactly what I was going to say - I've tried Riana soap (as have some others here) very slick and nice to the skin, but the lather lasts about 2 seconds and if you superlather it, it tends to just ruin the lathering properties of the other cream/soap you use.

I would have to agree with this for the most part. An odd exception however, is the soaps from The Shave Den. They are pretty darn good, IMO.

My faith in Olive Oil soaps was restored by the French Tade Laurel shaving soap which includes olive oil as the second main ingredient after water, but this seems to have been a one off. I'm currently trying to get to grips with the Highland Soap Co. shaving soap; great scent of Patchouli and Lavender, first-class skin care and very slick, but the majority of the lather has vanished before you've had a chance to reach for the razor du jour.

I've actually used Savon de Marseille to shave with (both the palm and olive versions) and the lather was better than what I got with Riana - in fact, I don't understand how anyone can actually sell this stuff (the Riana) as shave soap - clearly they've never used it or just don't care.

I've actually used Savon de Marseille to shave with (both the palm and olive versions) and the lather was better than what I got with Riana - in fact, I don't understand how anyone can actually sell this stuff (the Riana) as shave soap - clearly they've never used it or just don't care.

Couldn't agree more, particularly regarding the monstrosity that is La Riana. I guess the majority of wet shavers are still cartridge users, they must have lower standards than the enlightened.

Seriously? I used to buy sassafras tea in Missouri when I was a kid...and we brewed it from the tree in our backyard, too...I loved it!

Scary!

That was one of my fondest memories from hunting in MO as a kid. No matter what happened with the hunt I could count on smelling fresh sassafras from small twigs that I had cut off sassafras trees and we'd often dig up some roots to make tea when we got home. Over Thanksgiving we took the boys (5 & 7) for a walk in the woods and I introduced them to sassafras trees and their smell. They love it. However, I did learn of the link with cancer about 5-10 years ago and we don't do the tea thing anymore. Surely smelling the broken twigs isn't going to hurt anything. I even brought some home so we could savor the flavor later.

Didn't our founding fathers use sassafras twigs to brush their teeth?

~Jeff

That's great! It's good to see that we do have a guinea pi,...errr,...uuhhh,...a brave soul in here to do the dirty work!:lol:

I've done that too, with surprisingly good results! I was actually astonished at the superlather that SdM lavender flower soap and KMF Cool Mint made together. QUITE good.

Top Bottom