What's new

Saponificio Varesino Optunia

Any of you cool kids given this newly released soap a whirl? I have no idea if the scent is good, performance (I assume good), hard, soft, etc, etc...

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I have yet to order it, I'm waiting for feedback on the scent.

As far as 'hardness', it's still triple milled so I would assume it's on par with my other three 4.3 SVs. That is, pretty hard. My other tins are lasting a loooong time.

Lots of pineapple, oakmoss, patchouli, and wood. Bit of herbiness too.
proxy.php

Thanks. Sounds.....interesting to say the least.
I guess I'd describe it as a mix between Aventus and Terre d'Hermes. Fruity, woody, spicy, and a bit dry. Good scent and I have no complaints at all about it other than the price, which is way too high in my opinion.

Lots of pineapple, oakmoss, patchouli, and wood. Bit of herbiness too.
proxy.php
Agreed, and your follow up descriptor of "Fruity, woody, spicy" pretty much nails it. For my nose, I would add that the initial notes really emphasized the sweetness (pineapple, fruity) and that I felt that the Jasmine was the ascendant floral note; Your Patchouli and spicy really capture the emergence of the scents as they develop during shave.
No matter how I describe it, bottom line is that I really like this one, as does the "boss" aka better half :)

Beautiful set-up and razors btw paintflinger.

Thanks for posting scent profile. Guess I’ll need to add this to my list. Maybe I shouldn’t be as thankful!

Agreed, and your follow up descriptor of "Fruity, woody, spicy" pretty much nails it. For my nose, I would add that the initial notes really emphasized the sweetness (pineapple, fruity) and that I felt that the Jasmine was the ascendant floral note; Your Patchouli and spicy really capture the emergence of the scents as they develop during shave.
No matter how I describe it, bottom line is that I really like this one, as does the "boss" aka better half :)

Ohhhhh yeah, I did forget about the floral element. It comes out right as you start to lather, then it gets overpowered by the other scents.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I guess I'd describe it as a mix between Aventus and Terre d'Hermes. Fruity, woody, spicy, and a bit dry. Good scent and I have no complaints at all about it other than the price, which is way too high in my opinion.

Just curious why you think it's too expensive. Just in general or price/performance ratio?

SV 4.3 LE's are up there with the most expensive soaps i own, but IMO are a pretty good bargain given the longevity of the puck and great performance.

shavefan

I’m not a fan

Ohhhhh yeah, I did forget about the floral element. It comes out right as you start to lather, then it gets overpowered by the other scents.

Thanks for the scent descriptions gents. Not sure this one's for me, sounds a bit too sweet.

And agreed, very nice photo paintfinger!

That's the impression I got reading the notes. I love those two so mixing them would be something I would love to try.

Just curious why you think it's too expensive. Just in general or price/performance ratio?

SV 4.3 LE's are up there with the most expensive soaps i own, but IMO are a pretty good bargain given the longevity of the puck and great performance.

I would say SV is one of the true bargains since it's performance is up there with much higher priced luxury brands and it lasts a very long time.

There's just as good or better soaps out there that can be had for much less money.

SV works very well, but it isn't the slickest nor the most hydrating.

As far as the longevity thing, I would guess I could get 3 months of daily use out of it. For $60, I can get multiple pucks that last at least as long as that.

So yeah, I think its pretty overpriced.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
$60? I pay about half that for my SV 4.3s (wait for a BullGoose sale...). and mine are lasting much longer than 3 mos of daily use (perhaps we load differently?). For me the shave and post shave are tier 1.

Anyway, interesting take. Curious @paintflinger , are you a straight user or DE?

There's just as good or better soaps out there that can be had for much less money.

SV works very well, but it isn't the slickest nor the most hydrating.

As far as the longevity thing, I would guess I could get 3 months of daily use out of it. For $60, I can get multiple pucks that last at least as long as that.

So yeah, I think its pretty overpriced.

$60 would be a lot but it's $40US and many SV soaps are cheaper ($30ish) because they don't have the tin. I also find that the longevity is much better than what you state, it's one of my longest lasting soaps and it's a larger puck than most so for me it would easy last over a year.

I'm curious, what does a normal hard puck of 100g/3.5oz last you and what price range do you normally look for in hard soaps?

$60 would be a lot but it's $40US and many SV soaps are cheaper ($30ish) because they don't have the tin. I also find that the longevity is much better than what you state, it's one of my longest lasting soaps and it's a larger puck than most so for me it would easy last over a year.

I'm curious, what does a normal hard puck of 100g/3.5oz last you and what price range do you normally look for in hard soaps?
Its $56 with shipping from SV. Best price is from TVB, but they never have stock anymore.

Like I said, something like SV will last 3 months or so (Probably 5 if I load lighter). Something harder like DRH could be as long as 7 months.

Last edited:
$60? I pay about half that for my SV 4.3s (wait for a BullGoose sale...). and mine are lasting much longer than 3 mos of daily use (perhaps we load differently?). For me the shave and post shave are tier 1.

Anyway, interesting take. Curious @paintflinger , are you a straight user or DE?

I use everything, although lately its been SE (AC style) or straights.

Its $56 with shipping from SV. Best price is from TVB, but they never have stock anymore.

Like I said, something like SV will last 3 months or so (Probably 5 if I load lighter). Something harder like DRH could be as long as 7 months.

So you are loading over 1g per shave? I couldn't get close to that and DRH is about the same g/usage for me. I can see why you would skip it if those are your stats. I like DRH but I just don't find it even close in quality, longevity or value for me. As they say YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom