What's new

Santa Maria Novella

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I like Fieno. Tabacco Toscano is also very good in the aftershave, more than the cologne.
I've been looking for a "hay" cologne for 25 years, since Floris stopped making New Mown Hay. At some point I'm going to try Fieno. In what way is the Tabacco Toscano after shave better than the colonia? Are they the same scent? I've used the Razorock knock off for years and again, at some point I want to try the real thing.

I've been looking for a "hay" cologne for 25 years, since Floris stopped making New Mown Hay. At some point I'm going to try Fieno. In what way is the Tabacco Toscano after shave better than the colonia? Are they the same scent? I've used the Razorock knock off for years and again, at some point I want to try the real thing.
The Tabacco Toscano after shave has more tobacco in the scent. It’s a bit darker, a bit smoky, and I think it has more guts than the colonia version because of that. It’s nice to have them both but I would choose the after shave over the cologne. I don’t know why SMN does this but they are definitely different variations of the Tabacco Toscano scent, just as the shaving cream is different too with the menthol and eucalyptus added.

I don’t think the SMN Fieno would disappoint you either.

enjoy my few SMN frags!!

smn frags.jpg

A great scent house. My favorite is probably Peau d'Espagne, but one needs to have a taste for strong leather/birch tar scents.
+1 on the Peau d'Espagne, but as you say, it is pungent and not a crowdpleaser. I also have Acqua di Cuba, Mellegrano, and Tobacco Toscana. If I had to put a single adjective to SMN fragrances, I would venture 'bold'.

There seems to be a fairly distinctive quality to the SMN house colognes that I have tried. They all share a sharpness and a herbal undertone, to my nose. Not at all sweet. Would you guys agree with that?

In addition to the ones I noted above, Pot Pourri is also pretty good. Smells like dried herbs, rather than a floral pot pourri.

The Acqua di Cuba to me smells just like sweet unburned American cigarette tobacco. Burley tobacco, I suppose. I am not generally a fan of, say, pipe tobacco scents. Maybe not of tobacco scents in general, although vintage Creed tabarome is truly special, not the current version. On some level I really like the SMN Cuba, but I really do not end up wearing it.

Top Bottom