What's new

Same brush every day or buy another and rotate them?

Newbie question. I use an AoS brush every day. Rinse the crap out of it after every use (Mon - Fri inclusive). Is one meant to have more than one brush and rotate them? If so what's a good brush to add for around the $50 mark? Thank you.

Newbie question. I use an AoS brush every day. Rinse the crap out of it after every use (Mon - Fri inclusive). Is one meant to have more than one brush and rotate them? If so what's a good brush to add for around the $50 mark? Thank you.

It's not necessary. Some people have subsisted for years on just one brush and one brush only. Invariably the curiousity will get people - you'll hear about boar, badger, different makers, different grades and it'll make you want to try a few others.

Up until my experimentations wtih boar in the last month, I had around 4 or so brushes but used one pretty exclusively. It worked well with whatever I threw at it but I'd occasionally rotate to change things up.

One thing though, my beloved brush isn't the first one I bought. I believe it was the second or third and really grabbed me.

Long story short, there is no hurt either way - if you like a brush you can use it exclusively or if you're curious you can go out there and try others. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my guess is if you're asking this question you may be curious about other brushes anyways...

I have two brushes but one gets used about 85% of the time, its all just personal preference, I have yet aquire BAD or RAD, but I do have a case of SSAD/SCAD

I have a couple of brushes, but find myself using the same one every day. It's my EJ Best Badger Brush in ivory. It's just shy of $50 w/ a drip stand, and I highly recommend it.

Keep 2 brushes in rotation so they get a chance to dry up completely between uses. If you own a badger, then buy a boar, Omega or Semogue.

I have a boar and a badger. I use the boar about 95% of the times as I just prefer the stiffer bristles. I have had it for quite a few months and no harm has come to it yet.

I shaved with one brush when I first started out years ago and it took its toll on the brush. I think that two brushes will serve you well in the long run as it will allow the brushes to dry completely prior to being used again. If one of the brushes is a boar you may want to have three depending how well it dries in your environment. It has been my experience that some boars take a bit longer to dry completely. This practice will ensure that your brushes give you long and enjoyable service.

Regards,

Doug

I used one brush for two years until I decided I 'needed' another one. Either way is fine.

I hear the Simpson Berkeley is a great brush and is around that price range. Thinking about picking up a Simpson brush soon myself.

I have two at the moment, one on its way. I think it doesn't hurt if you only use one but then again, who doesn't like having different brush to choose from every morning?

For recommendations, assuming AOS is pure badger, either Simpsons Berkeley in Best or Semogue SOC or 1305 would be a good brush to start with depending on which way you want to go.

It is very relative. I have had to exercise extreme discipline to slim down the herd to 7 brushes (One for each day of the week)! I couldn't just have two! Be careful hanging around here too long. It just seems to happen....

I have 3 brushes, two have the exact same knots and the other I never use so I guess I only really use one brush........for now

I've got a Duke 3 and find that it needs a couple days to dry out completely. Luckily I only shave every 2nd or 3rd day.

I have a Super Badger that I've been using for nearly 10 years.

Its in good shape & should go another 10 at least.

Jack Russell

I use all my brushes on a month by month kinda thing. Latley though I've been smitten with my Duke 1 in pure. With a short handle super adjustable and Arko or Valobra sticks it's brilliant.

Top Bottom