What's new

Sailor Query

In searching, I could not find a substantive answer:

For those that own/have tried the 2021 flat cap Sailor and the 2022 curved cap (L, or "standard"), is there a difference in handling or performance?

Your input is much appreciated!

My only input is that I want a Sailor. The razor, not the 1950's musical dancer co-starring with Esther Williams or doing "The French Mistake".

God as my witness, if I can score a Turkish Sailor--and clear out your obscene mind--I won't ask God for anything else, ever. Just bring that Rocnel to me and on my deathbed I'll be like, "Death? Or Saint Peter? Or Whoever? I'm good. Do whatever you want. I shaved with a Rocnel AND smoked the majority of a box of Cohiba Esplendidoes.

I've asked Murat (the owner of Rocnel) and according to him, there isn't any significant difference of the way both types of top caps are holding the blade as well as the blade gap, exposure or angle, so at best the difference should be minimal if any.

I'm sure some might disagree and say that there is a significant difference between the two in favour of the flat top cap, which makes sense.

Still, the only way to really know for sure is to try both and see for yourself. I've only tried the Hybrid version and while the shaves weren't bad, they weren't anything out of the ordinary either and I've had some minor blade alignment issues with mine, but I was able to sell it, so it doesn't really matter anymore.

As always - YMMV.

I've asked Murat (the owner of Rocnel) and according to him, there isn't any significant difference of the way both types of top caps are holding the blade as well as the blade gap, exposure or angle, so at best the difference should be minimal if any.

I'm sure some might disagree and say that there is a significant difference between the two in favour of the flat top cap, which makes sense.

Still, the only way to really know for sure is to try both and see for yourself. I've only tried the Hybrid version and while the shaves weren't bad, they weren't anything out of the ordinary either and I've had some minor blade alignment issues with mine, but I was able to sell it, so it doesn't really matter anymore.

As always - YMMV.
Ha! Yes, I saw your post and was hoping someone would offer a personal opinion, as I know some folks in the Sailor thread have experiential assessments that are more similar/dissimilar to mine, and may point me in a particular direction.

Thank you!

Regarding the Techs- I have a few and flat-bottom/pre-War are the only acceptable Techs. Post-War? I would have better results and more satisfaction with Magic-Shave. :lol:

My only input is that I want a Sailor. The razor, not the 1950's musical dancer co-starring with Esther Williams or doing "The French Mistake".

God as my witness, if I can score a Turkish Sailor--and clear out your obscene mind--I won't ask God for anything else, ever. Just bring that Rocnel to me and on my deathbed I'll be like, "Death? Or Saint Peter? Or Whoever? I'm good. Do whatever you want. I shaved with a Rocnel AND smoked the majority of a box of Cohiba Esplendidoes.
My friend, if you're serious, I just saw a 2022 pop up in the BST for a heckuva deal. Save year/version as one I have, and it is an excellent shaver.

As they say, you can get from point A to point B in a variety of vehicles, the speed and smoothness of the ride being the main differences. The Turkish Sailor may make you weep with joy...:c1::c2:

My friend, if you're serious, I just saw a 2022 pop up in the BST for a heckuva deal. Save year/version as one I have, and it is an excellent shaver.

As they say, you can get from point A to point B in a variety of vehicles, the speed and smoothness of the ride being the main differences. The Turkish Sailor may make you weep with joy...:c1::c2:
Looks like someone got it.

I'm kind of in financial limbo while I wait on the VA to update my disability percentage anyway. Once that's done, I may treat myself to a road trip up to Maggards.

This was disappointing. Given the excitement over the Sailors, I was hoping to see some other replies. I shall satisfy my urge with a Seygus, then...

I love the Sailors, but Lordy, they are pricey, and if I can't quantify a change I definitely don't need to add to my hoard, ah, "collection".

This was disappointing. Given the excitement over the Sailors, I was hoping to see some other replies. I shall satisfy my urge with a Seygus, then...

I love the Sailors, but Lordy, they are pricey, and if I can't quantify a change I definitely don't need to add to my hoard, ah, "collection".
First of all starting a new thread on a razor that has been around for a while isn't really the best idea and would suggest going to the source of info that is abundant and also most that have one follow that thread and you may actually get better answers to you questions...

Top Bottom