What's new

Safety

Hi all,
Sorry if this has been mentioned before. I just posting about safety, regarding shaving with a straight razor. I am looking to start but am reluctant due to stories of people cutting themselves badly. I accept that weepers and small nicks are bound to happen, and this is no problem, but what are the chances of seriously cutting oneself i.e. scarring or even stitches. I am currently shaving with a DE (about a year now) and have never cut myself. I am slightly apprehensive as I know shaving from a straight is a big step up. However, I'm really keen to start and can almost see myself a year down the line and getting the shaves of my life. So basically how easy is it to significantly cut yourself (>nick/weeper)?

Thanks everyone

Deuser

I just started straight razor shaving myself.

I initially was very fearful of taking a long straight blade to my face. The danger of inflicting great cuts to your face is minimal if you treat the razor with respect.

Most straight razors lack a point like a knife would have, and thus don't have any part of the blade that could actually be jabbed into your face inflicting serious harm. The exception to this, is if you get a razor with a Spike Point.

From my experience, the long blade is actually a benefit, not a hindrance. It allows you to choose what part of the blade to do your cutting with.

The shorter blades of a Shavette (a disposable blade straight) are much less forgiving, and thus quick to bite.

Start with a round point and treat the blade with respect and you should be fine. I've been straight shaving for several months and have done some minor damage, but nothing that even needed a styptic pencil to stop bleeding.

Now, I almost never even get a nick or weeper.

I've been using straights for 2 and a half years and reading this forum for longer than that, and the only stories about bad cuts or needing stitches that I can recall were accidents while sanding the blade.

I've made a few small cuts on my face and neck. They are minor and rare and looked like cat scratches. Come to think of it, I got more cuts from playing with my cat than I did from shaving.

Start with a round point and treat the blade with respect and you should be fine. I've been straight shaving for several months and have done some minor damage, but nothing that even needed a styptic pencil to stop bleeding.

Now, I almost never even get a nick or weeper.

+1. I've been shaving with a straight for about a month now and I've never cut myself badly. The worst was when I was really focusing on the left side of my face (with my left hand) and my suite mate burst into the bathroom like a damn striking cobra. Made me jump and I had a nice little racing stripe right under my side burn haha. Keep in mind how thin a razor must be to actually cut hair from your face. It's so thin, that even if you do cut yourself it's most likely thinner than a paper cut, and it will heal in about 24 hours.

Well, knock on wood, but I have not had more than minor scratches, kind of like paper cuts.
Really, just take your time and be aware, the results are worth it

B

bluefoxicy

The cuts hurt and you'll be aware of sinking the blade into your skin, but there won't be any blood for like 5 days and then your face will just explode in dripping red slash marks!

.... that's almost true.

Seriously though it's not dangerous. I've cut myself pretty bad with everything I've ever shaved with... well, except a straight razor, and the DE. But I'm sure I could.

Top Bottom