What's new

Safety Razor Recommendations

Good Evening and Howdy from Texas!

My name is Jerry from Texas and I sure would appreciate some shaving advice.

I have a murkur futur adjustable razor I use with a feather razor blade. I just discovered the technique of “Riding the Cap” where the cap, razor blade and bar meet. It has changed how I shave!

My question is, what is a good non adjustable razor? I am not sure what the difference between the comb and open comb is? Is there a razor that is heavy with a long handle?

I would appreciate any help!

Best,

Jerry Johnston

Vintage Open Combs aren't as aggressive as they look. A New Short comb or Long comb will give you a smooth & close shave without irritation. I have a 1917 Old Type that is among my favorites, too.

Closed comb:
You can't go wrong with a Tech. I prefer the Pre-War models with fat handle.
I have several Super Speeds in my rotation. Everyone needs at least one. The 1946 is my favorite. a 1960's variety is worth having, too.

The biggest difference between OC and SB in my experience is face feel. Open comb has teeth! Vintage stuff can be found cheap, but modern stuff often has 30 day trial period. My personal favorite for heft is solid brass, like Karve or Blackland. Good luck exploring!

Favorite LC's and Fat Handled Techs. Mostly from E-Bay:

LC's.jpg

Fat HandleTechs.jpg

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.

I have a murkur futur adjustable razor I use with a feather razor blade. I just discovered the technique of “Riding the Cap” where the cap, razor blade and bar meet. It has changed how I shave!

My question is, what is a good non adjustable razor? I am not sure what the difference between the comb and open comb is? Is there a razor that is heavy with a long handle?

Best,

Jerry Johnston
Hi Jerry. As you prefer ‘riding the cap’ (shallow angle), I concur with the recommendation of a Gillette Tech or, if you can spend more, a Feather AS-D2. Sublimely smooth at a shallow angle.

The Merkur 38C (Barberpole) is the long handled version of their solid bar razor. It is a great razor paired with a GSB or Astra SP blade. It should suit you nicely and weights in at 120 grams.

Everyone should have a Tech and a SuperSpeed. Well made, ubiquitous and cheap, part of shaving history, and they shave very, very well.

I prefer the SuperSpeed from the early 50's over the later ones, although they are all nice. I've found I like a more aggressive razor than either, though, so use my various Adjustables set at 7 more. Or slants.

Best,

Jerry Johnsto
Feather AS-D2. Expensive but worth it. I use it with Feather blades.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Another nod for the Feather AS-D2. It is great with Feather blades and five shaves in also Crystals. I am in Austin. So it must be the right call for Texas.

An open comb razor is one where the base plate is cut to look as if it has teeth; a closed comb razor is one where the base plate has solid edges.

Aside from the razors mentioned above, you can also find solid stainless steel razor handles or solid brass razor handles at West Coast Shaving (westcoastshaving.com). They have some longer handles (about 4"). They also have handles that weigh 3 oz, 4 oz, and 6 oz.

The WCS handles accept most standard razor heads (e.g., Muhle DE89).

Definitely check out the Razorock Game changers excellent razor with a reasonable price tag the 0.84-P is my favourite but of course your milage may vary

The Muhle Rocca V4 range (R94,R95,R96) is definitely worth a look, these are all stainless steel full CNC razor with a hollow handle that offer a choice of wrapping on the handle)

feels great in the hand and a super smooth mid-efficient razor that isn’t picky over blade angle

Since nobody has asked yet, what setting are you using the Futur on? - Do you keep it mild down at 1-2, or somewhat cranked open 3-4, which might narrow down razors you may like. Don't believe you indicated your price range either, so I'll cover a few brackets.

The Tech is rather mild, very mild, and if you're accustomed to the Futur at 2+, it might be milder than you want. If you find the Futur rather aggressive at 2 and below, than it may be a match made in heaven.

On the other hand, if you like some blade feel, consider an open comb. I started going mild, and ultimately found my face responds better to a bit more blade feel and efficiency, making for fewer swipes, fewer passes, and pretty much no irritation at all in obtaining that BBS shave. (The added blade feel also keeps or reminds you not to apply too much pressure, which is my biggest sin when shaving with a mild razor). If you're thinking open comb, which tends to have more feel, and efficiency overall, but not always, consider a GEM Micromatic. I hated GEM razors for the longest time until I tried a Micromatic Bullet Tip (aka Flying Wing), and now own the Bullet & Open Comb models. - Also available dirt cheap in most cases.

At around the same pricing as a GEM, you can also usually grab a Schick Injector, which are just good all around razors, also a single edge like the Tech, but does use an Injector blade. There is something to be said about that narrow head, in reaching the tight areas around the ears and nose. (Maybe ~$10)

For slightly more expensive modern razors, there's the Muhle R41, which takes a bit more skill, at around $45.00, Timeless razors are very nice, and they do have the lower cost Aluminum in the mid-70s if memory serves, Bronze starting at $120.00, and then of course Stainless & Titanium models at higher pricing, approaching $200.

For a possible bargain, the Rockwell 6S is tough to beat, you get six(6) heads R1-R6, which runs the gambit from super mild (is there even a blade loaded) to fairly efficient R6, which is still super smooth, that's as smooth or smoother than a Tech. (Usually around a $100 msrp, and can be had for maybe $80 on sale).

Lots of options, and that's a drop in the bucket. If I was starting over, but knowing what I know, I'd grab an Schick, Rockwell, or a GEM, then think about a more premium razor later on, but that's me. I own the Gillette New Short & Long Combs, Old Type, Tech, and each of the Gillette Adjustables, yet shave most mornings with either a GEM, R41 Clone, Timeless, or on occasion OneBlade when I want a simply, no attention needed shave, and favor the GEM & R41 Clone the most, which are the cheapest razors I own, so go figure.

Top Bottom