What's new

Safari crashes too much on iphone

ok I don't have an iPhone but rather an iPod touch. The problem is that safari crashes a LOT. Has anyone else had an experiance like this? I've never experiance problems like this with mac stuff before so I am suspicious I might just have a defective unit.

Switch to Opera if it is possible. I am not familiar with iPhones but I know Opera is the least crash prone and the most secure browser I've ever used. I am sure there are many here who would vouch for Opera.

I'm pretty sure there is ongoing battle to allow developers to develop browsers for the iPhone/iPod Touch. I believe they are currently against the App Store rules. I have an iPhone and Safari has only crashed once or twice within the past couple months.

Are you on the latest firmware? I used to have the same problem, but since updating have not seen it crash that I can recall.

Cheers.

J

Factory restore it, that takes an induced error out of the loop.

I suspect, though, it has to do with the OS used by both Touch and iPhone and how it handles memory. I've had it crash more than once or twice on B&B after going to another site or two. Really surprised me, because Apple stuff usually has excellent volatile memory management.

Try the restore, and if that doesn't work give Apple a call and get some AppleCare on.

I have an iPhone 3G and so far on problems with Safari crashing. A few of the apps that I tried on it did crash, so they got deleted.

One thing that you can try is restarting your device, there should be a way to do a complete reboot. The other thing to try is making sure you have the latest firmware installed.

And check out the Apple discussions for more answers, I'm sure you're not the only one with this problem. http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa?categoryID=1

opera should be out for the iphone soon if it isnt already. I use Opera Mobile on my windows mobile phone and find it to be the best browsing experience I have ever had on a phone. I've played with iphones and I think overall Opera Mobile is a far better browsing experience than Safari

I'll throw in a 5th or 6th vote for Opera Mobile. Again, I don't know if you can load it onto the touch, but if you can it is well worth it.

I absolutely love using Opera on my windows mobile phone (samsung omnia). Seemless performance, tabbed browsing, fast, proper rendering of webpages, etc. It is pretty tough to beat currently in the mobile browser war.

I have an 8gb Ipod Touch since Xmas day and I don't think it's crashed once. I'm not sure if you can use Opera for it but if you can I'm gonna install it when I get home because I love Opera.

I did have Safari start crashing on me a lot on my iPhone. And then I couldn't sync it any more with either computer that I had it set up for. So, I made an appointment at the Genius Bar and left with a brand new replacement iPhone. It turned out to be a hardware issue.

Since then Safari has closed unexpectedly a couple of times. I simply restarted it and it picked up on the page that I left off on. I expect that such issues will be improved over time, that's why I enabled the option to send in trouble reports to Apple.

I've had 3 3g iPhones and all have Safari crashing issues. Even when brand new. I just deal with it as it's the best phone I've ever used.

Top Bottom