What's new

Rugby 2019

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Any rugby fans here?
The world cup is now less than two months away. No prizes for guessing who I'm supporting.

The All Blacks played Argentinian last weekend for their first game of this year in the Rugby Championship.
Argentinian played a solid game and were unlucky to not secure the win with the AB's winning 20-16

This weekend the AB's play South Africa here in Wellington. It should be a good game to watch.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I used to follow it a little many years ago when the Ella brothers played for Australia. Man those lads could play. When I moved to Melbourne back in the early 1980's there was no coverage of any Rugby League or Rugby Union in Victoria, it was ALL AFL in the newspapers and on the television. Gradually I lost interest and now hardly follow football. I do watch a little on the television. I must admit to like watching the women's league's. They go in hard, sometimes harder than the men.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Chris:
Not really into rugby, but you can't help but 'root' for the All Blacks! :thumbsup:

And they have a very impressive & intimidating haka too boot!
proxy.php

proxy.php
"Forwards win games, backs decide by how much". Anonymous

Massive rugby (union) fan here. 99% of the population here are Premier League football, I get in a cab, driver says where are you from, I say England and he craps on about Man U or Chelsea, I say I never watch it...

I think ABs are pretty much nailed on for this one again, England have gone too long with EJ and his blinkered approach, Cips is the class act at 10 but EJ loves Ford for some reason, or perhaps Ford has some embarrassing photos of EJ on a stag do? 9 is another issue, why bring Robson into the squad and leave him on the bench for 70 mins every game?? 2003 a distant memory.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
With the AB's drawing against the Boks last week, I've still not seen this team at a world cup winning level. Still plenty of time to get it together.

There's a few other good build up matches to be played. Just about to watch Canada vs Fiji.
Go Canada.

If England get out of their Group this time(!) they will likely face either Australia or Wales, both of which could be tricky. NZ probably against Scotland and SA v Ireland I think, then Australia or Wales v France, then after that who knows!

You would have to fancy NZ and SA winning their QFs, France on their day as we all know can beat anyone, England might scrape past Australia but I fear the Taffs, then that just lines up NZ in the semis...

This will be a nerve-wracking few weeks. More alcohol is needed.

I think it looks quite open this time around. The All Blacks are always in with a good chance, of course, but there are several sides involved which could beat them on the day — England, SA, Australia, maybe Wales and Ireland or even France, although the stunning displays the latter can produce seem increasingly rare. It would be good to see Japan get out of their pool, which just might happen.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
One of my peers at work hails from South Africa, is a rabid Springboks fan and will be in Japan for the World Cup.

Since I root for the USA and have also been an All Blacks fan for years, our Rugby conversations can get quite spirited. ;)

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
The All Blacks have been less than convincing but were able to finish the Rugby Championship with a good win against Australia. Then gave Tonga a good old fashioned drubbing.
Their first game against their arch rival South Africa will be a hard game.

This tournament is wide open and should be a lot of good rugby to watch.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Just hours to go now with hosts Japan playing Russia. I would think Japan can start this off with a win.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
The Japan v Russian game was good. Kotaro Matsushima scoring a hat trick would have made the home crowd happy.

I'm watching Australia vs Fiji now. Almost half time and the score board is not what I would have expected.

Scotland handled Samoa quite nicely. I'm afraid that Canada vs All Blacks is going to set a world cup scoring record, for the All Blacks.

Top Bottom