What's new

Rud's Scores

I find post-shave pretty important for my criteria. One thing that relates to post-shave tends to be residual slickness. If it dries out my skin, the chances are that it won't have much residual slickness.

The reason for my emphasis on post-shave is that it'll help even more with the added splash/balm. If a soap has a good post-shave feature, the balm will have a better effect on my skin. However, if the soap dries out my skin, the balm has to work harder to re-moisturize the skin and the end result is average. I think it's better to prevent skin from drying out so that the balms have less to work on and just add to the nourishing properties. I know this is not a popular opinion but that's my stance on it after couple years of trying drying and moisturizing soaps.
I have not noticed any difference in how dry my face is between different soaps as long as I am using a post shave moisturizer, but maybe my idea of a soap that dries out your skin is different than yours. What are some soaps that you consider drying and which do you find to be moisturizing? With regard to Rud's reviews I was surprised to hear him say that WSP Formula T was sub-par in moisturizing ability. I don't find that my skin feels any different after using WSP vs. Barrister & Mann or MWF.

I have not noticed any difference in how dry my face is between different soaps as long as I am using a post shave moisturizer, but maybe my idea of a soap that dries out your skin is different than yours. What are some soaps that you consider drying and which do you find to be moisturizing? With regard to Rud's reviews I was surprised to hear him say that WSP Formula T was sub-par in moisturizing ability. I don't find that my skin feels any different after using WSP vs. Barrister & Mann or MWF.
Some soaps that dry out my skin are arko, derby, palmolive stick, and WhatThePuck. Some soaps that I find moisturizing are siliski test base and Spearhead soaps. I also have many soaps that have neutral effect on my skin like Stirling, soap commander, and catie's bubbles soaps.

I don't 100% agree with Rud's review as well because I have different standards of looking at soaps. But I still find them helpful in terms of new releases and getting one man's opinion on it.

Fortunately for me, my skin does not dry out easily. Splash, balm or spray and every shave with any soap/cream feels great. There's no difference between soaps in this respect once I apply post-shave product(s).

Last edited:
Where is his list?

You can find a link to the latest Ruds Shave Score spreadsheet on Reddit. It is in Google Doc format, but you can download it into a variety of other file formats. Since Ruds evaluates new soaps every week or two, the list is updated frequently.

Search for "Ruds Shave Score" to find it, but the direct link to the file is:

The list is current through June 14, so it is due for an update before long.

Fortunately for me, my skin does not dry out easily. Splash, balm or spray and every shave with any soap/cream feels great. There's no difference between soaps once I apply post-shave product(s).

If you routinely use post-shave products, especially post-shave serums or balms, then the post-shave feel provided by the soap is significantly less important, perhaps even unimportant. However, you have to factor the cost of the post shave product into the cost of your shave.

A few months ago, I read a post by someone who claimed he got a fantastic post shave feel after shaving with an inexpensive soap. However, he used a post-shave serum costing nearly $150; I would have been shocked if he had not gotten a great post-shave feel.

If I use a high quality shave soap, I do not need to use either pre shave or post shave products. I would rather spend $30 on a superb soap than spend $15 on a mediocre soap and another $15 on an after shave product, but that is my preference. If you like your current routine, stick with it.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
You can find a link to the latest Ruds Shave Score spreadsheet on Reddit. It is in Google Doc format, but you can download it into a variety of other file formats. Since Ruds evaluates new soaps every week or two, the list is updated frequently.

Search for "Ruds Shave Score" to find it, but the direct link to the file is:

The list is current through June 14, so it is due for an update before long.
Thanks!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Candidly, I’m not sure why you’re placing so much credibility on one man’s preferences and ‘ratings.’ I say buy some samples and judge for yourself.

100% Our skin's are different enough that soaps perform differently. I've seen people rave that some soaps are super slick. One artisan soap in particular that I got a sample of was said to have this quality. For me it was one of the least slick soaps I've ever used. Just slick enough to shave with and no residual. Perfect soap for skin stretchers. I tried seven ways from Sunday to get the slickness others raved about. Nope, didn't get it. Just read the soap forum for awhile, you will see this soap has X quality and someone else saying the same soap lacks X quality. Is one person right and the other wrong? Nope they are both right - for them.

I think one reason Ruds earns so much respect with his reviews is he has all the emotion of an accountant on downers. He has a very matter of fact delivery and I think folks value that. They see it as honest and measured. He's not "OMG this is the best ever" and then you hear the same words in the next review. He's not at all like that.

That said, it does not make him any more able to tell you which soap is the best for you than for me to tell you which soap is the best for you.

It's also natural for many to parrot the findings of an "authority" as it can seem to bolster their legitimacy as well. Like concluding the same thing as a noted cigar or wine connoisseur. So if 100's of people rate him as spot on, it doesn't mean much.

In no way am I trying to denigrate or detract from Ruds, his reviews are worth watching if you are interested in soap reviews, but I wouldn't spend my money based on his findings. Find samples of soaps an conclude for yourself.

However, you have to factor the cost of the post shave product into the cost of your shave.

True, but as I said - you can buy these products very cheap at discount stores. A rose water spray with wich hazel and hyaluronic acid that will last for months costs about $4-5 at TJ Maxx. I would not even consider buying a $150 "face tonic". Some of the popular splashes people on this forum like to use cost between $4 and $7 and provide a great post-shave feel.

Top Bottom