What's new

Rubberset 400-3 My Second

Okay, so I'm bitten by the Rubberset 400 bug. The same week I picked up my first one, an unnumbered 400, I picked up this 400-3. The knot looks line it was barely used. It's not twisted at all. Waiting for some high grit sand paper to restore this beauty.

Mike

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 149
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 148
Undecided, it looks that great. I don't have any Boars in use right now, although I have a Century 2 & 3 that are NOS that I've been tempted to use. I'm partial to badgers but I'm gonna give this one a try and then decide.

Mike

Last edited:
Agree. Try the knot before you replace. Only thing cooler than a polished 400 would be one that's all original.

I've used it the last two days and it's pretty cool but doesn't produce much lather. Maybe it's the soap. I'll try another brand tomorrow. Any suggestions about using a boar brush and face lathering?

Mike

It's pretty difficult to work with that knot Mike, it looks exactly like mine. I would even be surprised if the knot was clipped to length, heck I'm not even sure if it is really boar- might be horse? I played with mine a few years back, even put it and the matching cup on the BST and never even got any inquiry on it! Go figure, but they sure look awesome re-knotted, no doubt.

Check out what you guys missed a couple years back!

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...es-Seaforth-Kent-Soap-Vintage-Mugs?highlight=

Man Jeff that was a pretty awesome set. Boy have prices risen. The knot looks like the two in my Century #2 and #3brushes and I have a few Vie Long horse hair brushes and it neither looks or feels like them. I'll try it a little longer and then decide what to do. I have to order a knot for my other 400 anyway.

Mike

Yeah. These brushes were worthless two years ago. I sold a lot on BST in 2013 with maybe $50 of modern boar brushes (a bunch of omega's) plus a 400 for $20 shipped. Didn't even sell fast. Took a couple days if memory serves. The value pretty much comes from the 400-club thread as far as I can tell.

Jeff, if you still have them I'll give you double what you were asking.

Ian, I think you're right, there may be a connection between the "Club" here on the forum and their current popularity and consequently their prices.

Mike

Top Bottom