What's new

RR GC IS IT SPECIAL ??

My advice...stick with the Rockwell.

Not helpful I know! I sold my GC but still love my Rockwell (6S and 6C).

My advice...stick with the Rockwell.

Not helpful I know! I sold my GC but still love my Rockwell (6S and 6C).

Yeah not helpful indeed lol.

At least let him try the darn thing first lol.

Btw, with a BIC this thing has gone from unloved and about to be sold to the top of my razors go figure.

I've used the .84 GC twice now (once on 24 hours growth and once on 48 hours growth) and I'm VERY impressed so far. It seems to shave as well as other razors I have that cost almost five times as much! I want to use it for another week, but if it continues to be this smooth and efficient, it will earn a spot in my top three razors!

I've used the .84 GC twice now (once on 24 hours growth and once on 48 hours growth) and I'm VERY impressed so far. It seems to shave as well as other razors I have that cost almost five times as much! I want to use it for another week, but if it continues to be this smooth and efficient, it will earn a spot in my top three razors!
Glad it’s working out for you. I’ve tried both GC’s with a GSB and a Astra. They seem to give me a little irritation the following day which is unfortunate. The GC 84 is a beast though , so I want to keep at it and find the best blade in it for me.

Last edited:
I’m finding it a very comfortable razor to use! I shaved today with my Karve after using the GC the last little while and now I’m pondering selling. It’s almost to beautiful to part with... almost.

Glad it’s working out for you. I’ve tried both GC’s with a GSB and a Astra. They seem to give me a little irritation the following day which is unfortunate. The GC 84 is a beast though , so I want to keep at it and find the best blade in it for me.
The GC 84 really has too much blade for daily shaving for me, but I used it every day for almost a month anyway just to make sure I found the best way to deal with it. I was very happy with the results, but the 68 plate is plenty for daily shaving for me.

I've had many frustrating shaves with a GC84 as its a very aggressive razor and I was about to sell mine off.

But a BIC blade saved it from the bay and carousell. The BIC/GC84 combo has tamed this razor and given me the smoothest, most effecient shave ever.

Try some different blades in it and you might be shocked at the results.

If there is a flaw with the GC84 is that the machining could be better as it needs to be tightened down harder than other razors to firmly seat the blade. Without tightening down I can clearly see gaps where the blade is unsupported (not touching) the cap or base plate.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

I was really about to sell my GC84 to get some other razors but I've been getting really super smooth shaves with BICs and thought I'll give the GC84 a last try before I decide whether to sell them off.

The GC84 is an absolute dream with a BIC. I just got an effortless smooth BBS shave!

The shave was so good that the GC84/BIC combo has gone to the very top of the heap.

After this shave I realised Astras were the weak link for and the cause of a lot of issues I had with the GC84.

Anyhoo, I'm just happy I got the GC84 to work for me FINALLY!

Mawashi

That's interesting to note, I've only used Feathers and Astra SPs in my GC.84, might try BICs

I've had many frustrating shaves with a GC84 as its a very aggressive razor and I was about to sell mine off.

But a BIC blade saved it from the bay and carousell. The BIC/GC84 combo has tamed this razor and given me the smoothest, most effecient shave ever.

Try some different blades in it and you might be shocked at the results.

If there is a flaw with the GC84 is that the machining could be better as it needs to be tightened down harder than other razors to firmly seat the blade. Without tightening down I can clearly see gaps where the blade is unsupported (not touching) the cap or base plate.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi
I’ll give it a go because I really want to love it , but the Mamba 70 seems like it may be better for me so far.

That's interesting to note, I've only used Feathers and Astra SPs in my GC.84, might try BICs
I have found something similar...that with AstraSP and even Rapira Platinum Lux, the GC84 felt fairly aggressive. But with a Personna Red, it feels a lot more like the GC68 (although you can still hurt yourself if you are careless).

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

It's just a 10¢ experiment lol.

Give it a try, it's a waste not to at least try something you already have.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi
I tend to nick myself in the adams apple often with the 84, so I opted to use the 68 for a while until I get blade angle down a bit longer.

I had my first shave with the GC 84 this morning. It was surprisingly smooth and close.

I really didn't do anything special for technique, just shaved. For reference, my daily razors are Timeless .68 OC, Muhle Rocca, and ATT SE1. The GC 84 fits well with my current skill level and preference.

If anyone was unable to get a barber pole handle in this last round, I have one to swap on the BST. I'd take a radio knob or super knurled in trade.

I tend to nick myself in the adams apple often with the 84, so I opted to use the 68 for a while until I get blade angle down a bit longer.

So YMMV, but I find that the blade angle of those 2 razors needs to be dramatically different. While the 68 can shave at a larger range of angles, the 84 really requires a shallow angle for me or else it starts flexing the blade and causing nicks. In other words...I think you can't use the 68 to train for the 84. The 84 has to be trained for by using the 84 IMO...again YMMV.

So YMMV, but I find that the blade angle of those 2 razors needs to be dramatically different. While the 68 can shave at a larger range of angles, the 84 really requires a shallow angle for me or else it starts flexing the blade and causing nicks. In other words...I think you can't use the 68 to train for the 84. The 84 has to be trained for by using the 84 IMO...again YMMV.
Hmmm . Ok I guess I’ll stick with the GC 84 then .

My experiences with the GC84 don't seem to indicate it has the same issues as with a new long comb or English flat bottom or a Futur that don't support the blade well. It has better than average blade support imo.

The issue is it's very blade sensitive as it's its an aggressive razor. I love Feathers and Nacets but they don't work for me in a GC84.

With a BIC which is both smooth and very sharp I can shave shallow or steep, it shaves great however, I use it.

Find the right blade and it's a joy to use, otherwise it can be a real pain of a razor.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

My experiences with the GC84 don't seem to indicate it has the same issues as with a new long comb or English flat bottom or a Futur that don't support the blade well. It has better than average blade support imo.

The issue is it's very blade sensitive as it's its an aggressive razor. I love Feathers and Nacets but they don't work for me in a GC84.

With a BIC which is both smooth and very sharp I can shave shallow or steep, it shaves great however, I use it.

Find the right blade and it's a joy to use, otherwise it can be a real pain of a razor.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

I am glad I put the YMMV disclaimer in my post because for me, just selecting a certain blade alone doesn't help. I also agree that the GC84 has EXCELLENT blade rigidity/clamping. BUT it does have pretty significant blade exposure and a sizeable gap. And anytime you have those two combined, you can cut yourself if you wield the tool wrong.

I am glad I put the YMMV disclaimer in my post because for me, just selecting a certain blade alone doesn't help. I also agree that the GC84 has EXCELLENT blade rigidity/clamping. BUT it does have pretty significant blade exposure and a sizeable gap. And anytime you have those two combined, you can cut yourself if you wield the tool wrong.

It's YMMV after all lol.

However, the over hang of a GC84 is tiny compared to a Futur or an English Flat Bottom.

When I first saw the blade over hang of a blackbird it scared me to death too. However, these razors, the Futur, EFB, Blackbird all shave very well so it's very difficult to say how it works for everyone.

I would say this though, aggressive razors like the GC84, the R41 are not for everyone. Either you have excellent technique, have leather for skin or you found the perfect combo. I'm firmly in the last category as I usually prefer mild razors w sharp blades.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

Top Bottom