What's new

Royal Blue Ink and Water-Resistance

I was just looking up a review on a Royal Blue on Youtube and there was something I wanted to point out ... Most ink reviews show a water-resistance test of some kind. Usually the Royal Blues fail miserably and its kind of held agains them... and here is the big BUT, there is a reason for them failing like that. This applies to the European inks that I am used to.

Sorry to be a little long winded here but I'd like to explain why I know this. I started out in life in Germany and was able to go to school up until 3rd grade there too. Then I was moved to England... and went to school there... and thing just went from there. The thing that is somewhat interesting regarding fountain pens, is that in Germany and England, Fountain Pens are a lot more common... and as far as Germany goes, it is actually mandetory in school to use fountain pens... and only fountain pens (except for Math or if you're a lefty that can't deal with writing with one... most lefties can and have to use them, just like all the others). You get started out usually in the second half of the first grade when you start learning handwriting (skript). You get a few "recommended" pens that are approved (back when I went in the the early 80s it was but a few to select from... the Pelikan Pelikano being one of them). These pens have nibs and sections that are tailored towards beginners and small hands. They also can take a certain amount of abuse (the Lamy Safari came too late for me but explains the design and material its made out of... Its made to suffer!! I did get one later when moving back to Germany as a teen...love the pen) as far as the materials go that they are made off and the nib is more forgiving to wrong technique.

Now to the inks... as you can guess, it is also mandetory to use a blue ink... Royal Blue being the one of choice usually but as long as its blue, its ok to use. Here is where it gets interesting. The reason for using these Royal Blues are used are because they are WASHABLE and can be corrected by something called a "Tintenkiller" (and ink Killer pen that lets you erase the writing in your notes, if you made a booboo). The reason for the washable part is simple... you put a fountain pen with a full cartridge into the hands of a 6-9 year old and you are just waiting for a mess to happen. These inks can easily be washed out of clothing and bookbags... and from hands!! The english Parker Quink Royal Blue has the same feature for a similar reason. THAT IS WHY THEY ARE NOT WATERPROOF. Its per design.... its that simple.

The whole 4001 series from Pelikan is somewhat water "destroyable" because of the similar base design but is not completely washable!! Hence they perform a bit better in that area.

So now you know... and if you want to start your kids out on a fountain pen... you might want to go for a dry writing Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue... or you might have throw out a t-shirt or two in case something does happen. BTW... thats also the reason it writes a bit dry... so it absorbs well and drys quickly, otherwise students would have plenty of smudges in their notebooks....

Sorry for creating such a huge text:blushing:... but I thought you might be interested.

Hope it explains a bit...

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Very nice report and very informative to those new to fountain pens. Possibly why I have such a soft spot for royal blues, I also used fountain pens while learning cursive -- not in Europe -- and my parents had Sheaffer Skrip and Quink in the house. I've never actually used an ink eradicator but saw some in Austria on a recent trip.

From Pelikan's site, teacher info page:
In the 1930's Pelikan had already developed an ink bleach that could erase ink. In the beginning it was referred to as "Radierwasser" (Eng. Erasing water) or "Tintentod" (Eng. Ink death).
In 1972 Pelikan created its first ink erasing pen called "Tintentiger" (Eng. Ink Tiger).

In 1974 the name was changed to "Tinten-Blitz" (Eng. Ink lightning). With this "Tinten-Blitz" one could erase Royal Blue ink and later write over the corrected area with a ballpoint pen.
In 1977 Pelikan released the "Pelikan-Super-Pirat". This pen had an incorporated erasing and correcting fluid in the one pen. This version is still being produced up to today and remains the most sold ink eradicator in Germany.
In the Spring of 2003 a new generation of ink eradicators was released. The Pelikan Superpirat is now available in two different tip sizes:

• B is for erasing whole words
  • F is for erasing single letters
and the Pelikan Super Sheriff which has a multi-function tip for fine and broad erasing.
Each of the 3 Pelikan ink eradicators are available in 4 different colours.

So the TL;DR is that Royal Blues are easily washable because of clumsy kids? :tongue_sm

I guess not all Royal Blues out there:tongue_smbut the ones mentioned are... believe me, as a kid my parents were glad it was washable. My first pen was a Pelikan Pelikano... that I put in my back pocket, for what ever reason that day... and got into my dads car when he picked me up.... snapped that thing clean in half and a full cartridge emptied out, staining my pants and the back seat of my dads 2 year old Ford Granada... you don't want to know how that went... long story short, the stain in school uniform washed out without issues and so did the stain in the back seat!! Try that with some Baystate Blue!! :laugh:

Thanks for the research on the Tinten Killer... great post. :thumbup1:

Very nice report and very informative to those new to fountain pens. Possibly why I have such a soft spot for royal blues, I also used fountain pens while learning cursive -- not in Europe -- and my parents had Sheaffer Skrip and Quink in the house. I've never actually used an ink eradicator but saw some in Austria on a recent trip.

From Pelikan's site, teacher info page:
In the 1930's Pelikan had already developed an ink bleach that could erase ink. In the beginning it was referred to as "Radierwasser" (Eng. Erasing water) or "Tintentod" (Eng. Ink death).
In 1972 Pelikan created its first ink erasing pen called "Tintentiger" (Eng. Ink Tiger).

In 1974 the name was changed to "Tinten-Blitz" (Eng. Ink lightning). With this "Tinten-Blitz" one could erase Royal Blue ink and later write over the corrected area with a ballpoint pen.
In 1977 Pelikan released the "Pelikan-Super-Pirat". This pen had an incorporated erasing and correcting fluid in the one pen. This version is still being produced up to today and remains the most sold ink eradicator in Germany.
In the Spring of 2003 a new generation of ink eradicators was released. The Pelikan Superpirat is now available in two different tip sizes:

• B is for erasing whole words
  • F is for erasing single letters
and the Pelikan Super Sheriff which has a multi-function tip for fine and broad erasing.
Each of the 3 Pelikan ink eradicators are available in 4 different colours.

Thanks for this, nice info. And it plays into one of my pet peeves, as well. Whenever I read an ink review and someone says "I love the color and flow, but it's not waterproof/not water-resistant/not bulletproof!"

So what?! If you need a waterproof ink, use a waterproof ink. There are plenty to choose from. Don't hold "easy-washability" against an ink.

Drives me crazy, I swear.

:thumbup:

Thanks for this, nice info. And it plays into one of my pet peeves, as well. Whenever I read an ink review and someone says "I love the color and flow, but it's not waterproof/not water-resistant/not bulletproof!"

So what?! If you need a waterproof ink, use a waterproof ink. There are plenty to choose from. Don't hold "easy-washability" against an ink.

Thanks for this info. I like Royal blue ink and use it often. I am currently using the Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue and it is a nice ink.

Agreed... its a great ink. I really like it a lot and its my general go to. Performs great and has a pleasant shade of blue that fits most purposes.... just don't get the page wet :laugh:

I have always found the whole waterproof thing a bit puzzling. Where exactly are people writing that this is such a big deal? I hope I'm not standing out in the rain trying to write. If someone takes a sponge to it, I think it's going to destroy the paper, so whether the ink holds up isn't important. If I'm dripping sweat on it, chances are I'm going to stop writing and find a cooler place. If my tears are falling down like rain on the page, well, that just adds character. :thumbup:

I have always found the whole waterproof thing a bit puzzling. Where exactly are people writing that this is such a big deal?
I asked this on FPN once. One guy said that highlighters make some inks smear, so waterproof inks were a must. One woman said she doesn't want to accidentally spill water or coffee on what she's writing and have it wash away, since she often wrote in cafes and coffee shops. A couple people mentioned the "get caught in the rain" thing.

The highlighter issue I can see...but again, in that case, just use a waterproof ink. If you need a document ink for checks, use one. The "spill something" issue...um, okay...so we all worry about spilling liquids on anything. But how many people take their laptops or tablets to coffee shops? Those things aren't waterproof. I somehow manage not to spill drinks around my writing and/or electronics, as do most people, I imagine.

As for getting caught in the rain and having your notebooks soaked...people take this risk every day with their laptops/briefcases. Just keep your notebook in a closed bag when you're out and about.

But it goes beyond all that. As much as I dislike an ink's water-resistance to be something it's criticized for, it's so ubiquitous that even I mention it without realizing it. "Oh, Iroshizuku inks are fantastic! Just don't expect them to hold up to water." And then I'm like Why did I even say that? It shouldn't matter. I don't have my journal at a swimming pool.

This thread raises some interesting points. I learned to write with a fountain pen in school, a Parker Vector, and the washability probably saved my parents huge clothing bills.

Now, when I read or write an ink review and I see the ink isn't waterproof it sort of displeases me, yet why?! I really only need waterproof ink for envelopes.

There are certain times, when a waterproof ink is needed... but then you get a waterproof ink. Period. If you want absolute waterproofness...get a sharpie. They are made for the purpose. Its like your trying to drive a nail into the wall with a wet noodle... use a hammer if you want that thing to go in... I love using a fountain pen but I know it has its limits. Thats why there are so many different types of pens and pencils out there.

And like @u56rh said... sometimes the washability is a good thing :thumbup1:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I remember when the Goulets came out with Liberty's Elysium, and it was either Brian Goulet or Nathan Tardiff himself (or a podcast conversation between the two) but the fact emerged that blue is one of the hardest colours to "do" in a waterproof/bulletproof ink.

+1, just buy some Noodlers then and shut up! :laugh:

I remember when the Goulets came out with Liberty's Elysium, and it was either Brian Goulet or Nathan Tardiff himself (or a podcast conversation between the two) but the fact emerged that blue is one of the hardest colours to "do" in a waterproof/bulletproof ink.
I remember that. I also remember that the whole incident came about because people complained the ink wasn't water-resistant ENOUGH. Brian Goulet being who he is tried to placate them and went back to Noodlers and asked about a reformulation. Then someone wrote (I think it was on FPN): "Where are these people writing with their pens...underwater?"

Thank you Quink for your informative post. In the second half of the 1960ies I was a young schoolboy in Sweden. I remember that when we learnt cursive writing we had fountain pens, most common a Pelikan, which were inked with cartridges which definitely were from Pelikan. Also here a washable blue ink was used, despite this washable option we got some blue fingers.

Top Bottom