What's new

Rockwell Razors (6S/6C): A Three Year Follow-up Review...

I bought my 6S and Karve at virtually the same time. Loved the Karve so much I sold the 6S. But I missed it so I bought one used. Then it was sitting lonely and little used in it's place on my stand, and a new wet-shaver was looking for a step up in quality, so I sold it again. I regretted doing so the very next day so I bought a THIRD one. LOL
+1 ... The Rockwell 6S is so good for me, that I had to also buy it twice. Plates 4 and 5 are my favorite. Thank you for a wonderful follow-up @nav

Great review, the 6C is my favorite DE, and the reason I just thinned my razors out. My go to setting is plate 4 with a Nacet blade. I really enjoy the shaves with this razor.

I may eventually pull the trigger in the 6S, but right now don’t feel the need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I had purchased the 6C first, I probably wouldn't have felt the need to buy the 6S either. It shaves practically the same, with a bit of weight difference. Since I had and loved the 6S, I wanted the 6C for travel. This was basically the only reason I got the 6C. So I agree with you about not feeling the need for the 6S...although that matte finish stainless steel look is pretty darn great! :)

had a shave with the Rockwell this morning. 6C + plate 6 + feather (2)

very smooth and comfortable 3 pass shave, 2x WTG and 1x ATG resulted in very close to BBS that just fell short in the neck area which is always tricky to get to. I did like the smoothness of the shave and will be using the rockwell in between my more efficient razors when in need a bit of a break with a 'mild' razor

Excellent! I'm waiting for my Polsilver to die and then I'll give the Feather a run in the 6S on plate 4. I doubt I can go higher than this plate as Feathers are already very harsh for my skin.

Given your use of the R41 and Jaws, I can see how plate 6 is a "mild" razor for you LOL

+1 ... The Rockwell 6S is so good for me, that I had to also buy it twice. Plates 4 and 5 are my favorite. Thank you for a wonderful follow-up @nav

I'm finding plate 5 perfect for a daily shave although TBH, I like the efficiency of plate 6 better...but my darn skin just won't let me enjoy that level of efficiency on a daily basis.

Great review

Thanks!!

Nice review and comments too. I love it when people are happy with their razors. My 6s remains smooth, comfortable, and a darn right pleasure to use.

Nice review and comments too. I love it when people are happy with their razors. My 6s remains smooth, comfortable, and a darn right pleasure to use.

Thank you!

Smooth, comfortable, a pleasure to use...describes the 6S perfectly! :)

Does anyone happen to know where the settings of the 6C/6S compare to the settings of the Merkur Futur?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Does anyone happen to know where the settings of the 6C/6S compare to the settings of the Merkur Futur?

I don’t have a Futur, but I do have a Progress, and have read plenty of comparisons between it and the Futur.

I’d say the Futur probably begins where the Rockwell finishes in terms of aggressiveness.

The Rockwell isn’t an aggressive razor. It’s efficient, and mows down hair, but even with the higher plates it has a small gap, minimal blade feel, and goes out of its way to prevent you from nicking yourself.

I don’t have a Futur, but I do have a Progress, and have read plenty of comparisons between it and the Futur.

I’d say the Futur probably begins where the Rockwell finishes in terms of aggressiveness.

The Rockwell isn’t an aggressive razor. It’s efficient, and mows down hair, but even with the higher plates it has a small gap, minimal blade feel, and goes out of its way to prevent you from nicking yourself.
That's good to know. The Futur on 1 is what I normally use. I know you talked about aggressiveness between the Futur and the Rockwell, but do you have an idea of how a Futur on 1 would compare with a Rockwell on a higher plate in terms of efficiency?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I know you talked about aggressiveness between the Futur and the Rockwell, but do you have an idea of how a Futur on 1 would compare with a Rockwell on a higher plate in terms of efficiency?

That’s a very personal thing, it’s hard to judge. For example, common internet wisdom is that the DE89 is “at least as efficient” as the Merkur Classic closed comb, but I find it massively less efficient.

That said, I find the Rockwell to mow down hair like it doesn’t even have a blade in it, and on R4 and above it’s definitely efficient.

On the flipside, it has a small blade gap, which means it’s probably less effective with several days’ growth, and underperforms if your lather is too thick.

I had a 6C for a while, and it did a fine job for me with Plate 5 or 6. What I didn't like was the bulky head. I had the same issue with my Progress. After buying the Game Changer (.68, .84 and OC) I sold both the Rockwell and the Progress. I have been very happy with the Game Changer, particularly the OC. (Of course that didn't stop me from going on to buy several other razors - DE and SE).

Top Bottom