What's new

Rockwell razor lather ejection path

Compared to my other razors (Feather AS-D2, Merkur 34C, Muhle R106), my Rockwell 6S has an unusual exit path for lather pushed under the blade as you shave. Because of the two-sided head, any lather that goes under the blade must turn 90 degrees and pass through a fairly deep (couple of mm) slot behind the guard, broken by some reinforcing bars. All my other razors are designed such that any lather that goes under the blade has a bit more open path. On the Feather, lather emerges directly into the open air next to the handle. The Merkur has a slight angle for the exit, while the Muhle requires a 90 degree turn, but has no cross bars connecting the guard to the head except at the end. I think any razor with a flip-able head will have a version of the same path.

I had noticed that my Rockwell loaded up on lather more than the others and tends to ride this cushion rather than stay close the my skin and cut whiskers (I usually use MWF, but found that TOB worked better with the Rockwell). Now that I understand it, I think I can switch sides more frequently and rinse a bit more and it will work better for me. I'm wondering if this design feature may be why many people like the larger gap plates on this razor. They give more room for the lather to move out. However, I also notice that other people really love this model. I suspect that my noob skills are equally (or more) the issue.

I just mention it here since I saw another Rockwell user say that it loaded up more than his others. (I would reference the post but couldn't easily find it again.) If your Rockwell doesn't seem to be cutting as you expect, check for lather loading.

Interesting observation and I’d say an accurate one. I would say I prefer plates 5 and 6 and often use 3 as well, but have found the three doesn’t cut through the cushion of soap as well and glides sometimes rather than cuts. Hard for me to say if that’s simply the mild gap or lack of ejection of the lather. I try to use slicker, thin tallow lather soaps for the lower gap with better success than a loftier vegetable based lather.

Oops. Now I'm a bit embarrassed to have begun this thread without some more empirical testing. My armchair razor engineering was under the influence of whisky and I typed too fast. This morning, I paid close attention, and with the #3 base plate on the Rockwell, zero lather emerges from those baseplate channels as I shave. It loads up and skips long before any lather is pushed out of there. As long as I rinse off or switch sides, once I notice it is not cutting, it works fine. These openings in the baseplates may just be to aid in rinsing.

I will have to see what my other razors do. Their different lather exit baseplate drainage designs may make no difference for the way I lather and shave, if lather never comes through these ports.

I also looked at pictures of other highly regarded razors and the designs in this regard are all over the place. The Timeless has a gigantic rinse channel, while the ATTs - if I interpret the pictures right - only have a line of holes drilled in the baseplate.

My working hypothesis is that baseplate slots and holes are not a terribly important feature of razor design. My Rockwell 6S probably loads up a little faster simply because the #2 and #3 plates are a bit tighter in gap than my others (as @johnwick suggests above).

. . . Hard for me to say if that’s simply the mild gap or lack of ejection of the lather. . . .

If your 6S accumulates lather, that's because your lather may be too thick; the same thing happens on my 6S. But if your 6S's lather is more watery, your razor won't accumulate much lather.

I'm wondering if this design feature may be why many people like the larger gap plates on this razor.

I don’t think it’s the lather, it’s just the geometry. On R3, I can basically treat the razor as a cartridge razor and use a fair amount of pressure without any ill effects.

The blade angles directly towards the guard, and any contours on the face get missed. Good skin stretching or a bit of pressure stop this.

At R5 and R6, it’s more of a conventional razor that can bite if you’re not careful, but which is less prone to missing bits if used with a light touch.

Oops. Now I'm a bit embarrassed to have begun this thread without some more empirical testing. My armchair razor engineering was under the influence of whisky and I typed too fast
I was beginning to wonder about this thread!
The Fatip open comb has no blade gap and has no problem ejecting the lather, as you put it. I don't think this is an issue. The Weishi adjustable (Parthenon I think) allegedly has some drainage issues but that is the only razor I have heard about with such an issue.

On the flip-side, the Merkur Progress seems to have some kind of Tardis-like lather repository. I can shave half my face without rinsing, look at the razor, and there’s no lather to be seen.

(Only a slight exaggeration).

I made a looser lather today, switched sides often, and rinsed frequently. The Rockwell shaved great with the #3 and I didn't feel like the attention I was giving it was excessive. It was perhaps my most comfortable day-long shave so far (of 30 :1eye:), though far from my closest.

However, on low number plates at least, it really does load up faster than my others in my subjective opinion. I'm not counting strokes or anything, but I am confident of the difference. The Feather is what I've used the most, and I can clearly do more of my face without getting the sensation of sliding over the surface without cutting - I'm not sure I've ever had that happen with the Feather. (The AS-D2, of course, has its own - um - peculiarities for a noob with poor angle control like me). With the small amount of space under the blade with the lower Rockwell plates, there's just no where for the lather to go. It also collects more on top of the blade next to the cap than my others, though I don't figure this affects anything. The cap is thicker, so that may be why.

I'm really liking the razor, and looking forward to trying plate 4 tomorrow. I don't intend any of this a criticism of the device, just observation from someone who admits he doesn't know what he's doing yet. I am, however, experienced with mechanical design issues in other domains, so I am fascinated by the difference among these razors and how it shows in performance.

I don’t think it’s the lather, it’s just the geometry. On R3, I can basically treat the razor as a cartridge razor and use a fair amount of pressure without any ill effects. . . .

I too think this "reservoir" of lather held right next to the blade might allow me to press a bit with the R3; it could even be an intentional design feature. But I'm too much of a noob and too chicken to try it. I'm still in the "no pressure" club.

I noticed that the Rockwell (6C) needed a lot of rinsing, compared with others.

I'm having about a month of Merkur 23C only, in order to get used to it, but a thinner lather would also be my bet for the Rockwell.

It's understandable why they went for reversible plates, but in my perfect world, it would have 6 separate (thin!) plates, and then it might be as agile as the Merkur.

I'm as big a cynic as anyone, but I might be getting to like the Merkur.

I haven't been super stoked with my 6c but have only used it 4 times. It gets way too clogged up for my liking compared to my 34c, Maggards V3/V3A or my Goodwill. I'm not ready to move on from it yet but it's not my favorite so far.

I wonder how thick you guys make your lather. I've never had issues with the 6S clogging. Yesterday I shaved with the lowest setting ever (3) just to test it, and no clogging at all. I'll try with setting 2 today.

I wonder how thick you guys make your lather. I've never had issues with the 6S clogging. Yesterday I shaved with the lowest setting ever (3) just to test it, and no clogging at all. I'll try with setting 2 today.

It's possible that my lather is too thick but my other razors don't seem to have major issues. So many variables! So much fun!

What soap are you using, may I ask? I made my TOB as thin as I dared - just a bit translucent on my face. It was much easier to rinse with the 4 plate today, but the 3 was more comfortable for me.

What soap are you using, may I ask? I made my TOB as thin as I dared - just a bit translucent on my face. It was much easier to rinse with the 4 plate today, but the 3 was more comfortable for me.
I've had the same experience with all soaps. Whether it's Stirling, WK, SV, Nobble Otter, Declaration, B&M, you name it, never had any problems with the razor clogging.

Mine is one of my better razors in terms of ejecting lather.

It may just depend on the lather you use.
At the time, I was using a brush and artisan soap and I tend to prefer my lather thin and slick. I ended up having to use the R6 plate just to get it to not clog up and then it gave me wicked razor burn.
Shame too, it was a beautiful razor.

My Rockwell is going onto the standby rack for now. The 4 plate is a bit beyond my skill at this point (close but irritated), and so I tried the 3 plate again today and it loaded up badly (comfortable but fuzzy). Running water (albeit low pressure) wouldn't clear it, so I had to fill the sink and swish it vigorously. When my shaving and lathering skills improve, I'll try again. Meanwhile, I've got a Karve to try, and it is like the Feather. The blade edge is directly over the slot, so it shouldn't lather-jam on me. (Fair question: If his Feather is working for him, why keep trying razors? A: Just for fun.)

Feather rinse slot directly below blade edge

Rockwell blade edge directly above guard bar

Karve blade edge also over rinse slot, though tighter then Feather.

Muhle blade edge over bar

Merkur blade edge over bar

With a large enough gap, the blade edge being over the bar does not cause clogging for me. Rockwell R4 works fine, but R3 is too tight.

From my reading threads, a few other people are struggling with it, but most love the razor. As my skills improve, I hope to get the results @shaveSymptomatic is.

Top Bottom