What's new

Roast onion ... yeah, what I said.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I've never had onions just by themselves. Roast root veg including onions is very popular with my family though. I think this might make a nice Sunday lunch.

Every time I make a roast (lamb, beef), I roast onions and spuds as well. Always have, as did my mom and grandmother. I do peel and quarter them, which leads to some nice browned edges.

I’ve grilled whole onions. I pealed them and cooked them while grilling tri tip or steaks. I would keep them over the high heat until they are burned in places. Then move them to the side. My mom thought I was crazy. I peeled off the outside burnt parts and the inside is sweet and delicious. I’ll have to try it without pealing The skin off. I like to make baked potatoes in the coals of the camp fire. Maybe an onion cooked like that would bee a good addition to a baked potato? Thanks for sharing.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
We do something similar on the grill...kinda sorta. Peel and core an onion, pour some melted butter inside, wrap it in foil, leaving part of the top of the foil open, then put it on the grill away from the coals for about 45 minutes or so. I may try it without the foil and just leave the peeling on.

Anytime the oven is on my missus will throw an onion in. She doesn't even skin them. Just slings em in
and squeezes them out the skin when they're done. I try to dissuade her from this filthy practice by
constantly making eye ball jokes but to no avail.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
We do something similar on the grill...kinda sorta. Peel and core an onion, pour some melted butter inside, wrap it in foil, leaving part of the top of the foil open, then put it on the grill away from the coals for about 45 minutes or so. I may try it without the foil and just leave the peeling on.
I do mine like that but add a jalapeño.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I do that all the time, and it's great. Just about every time I fire up the pit, I put an onion or two on there with the meat. Folks always did that.

Honestly, I never even considered that someone might find this sort of thing unusual.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
My parents roasted onions when I was young and I still do it myself but always peeled.
I normally throw some small ones in with a roast leg of lamb. Devine.
I'll give it a try with the skin on.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
The local 1015 sweet onion are really delicious.
They just planted hundreds of acres that I can see while driving out in the country.

Top Bottom