What's new

ripped out a wall behind my bathroom and found . . .

Remember those old medicine cabinets with a slot cut out in the back? Yup, I had to open up a wall behind my bathroom sink (the old galvanized pipes have had a long and useful life, but like all things are coming to an end), and found some old double-edged razor blades on top of a board. You'd think maybe there'd be a box or something to catch the blades but nope, just let them pile up.

Amazingly hardly rusted at all for sitting around for decades!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 5.52.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 5.52.24 PM.png
    4 MB · Views: 163
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 5.52.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 5.52.33 PM.png
    3 MB · Views: 163

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That's what was in the house I grew up in. Dad would drop the used Gillette blades in the slot, and I did too when I got old enough to shave.

Last time I was in the area the old house was still standing...I wonder how many blades are still in the wall.

When we were renovating our house in 1985, I removed an airing cupboard, and found these under the floorboards:

4B046B4D-1FFD-4163-8C10-6338B86DE6E8.jpeg

Three wrapped once, three wrapped twice, one bare blade, in excellent nick, (pun intended 😱), and the tuck.

The house was built in 1912, but I know they aren’t of that vintage; but the previous occupants probably moved in in late 50’s /early 60’s, so I think they’re probably from the 1960’s. Nice find regardless! 😃

When we were renovating our house in 1985, I removed an airing cupboard, and found these under the floorboards:

View attachment 1194928

Three wrapped once, three wrapped twice, one bare blade, in excellent nick, (pun intended 😱), and the tuck.

The house was built in 1912, but I know they aren’t of that vintage; but the previous occupants probably moved in in late 50’s /early 60’s, so I think they’re probably from the 1960’s. Nice find regardless! 😃
Must be the early 60’s when I was shaving with blue blades in the late 60’s they came in a combination metal and plastic blade dispenser with a storage slot in the back for old blades. I didn’t see cardboard tucks until I started shaving with a DE razor again at the beginning of 2020.

Must be the early 60’s when I was shaving with blue blades in the late 60’s they came in a combination metal and plastic blade dispenser with a storage slot in the back for old blades. I didn’t see cardboard tucks until I started shaving with a DE razor again at the beginning of 2020.
Thanks Eric - I’ve often wondered, so that’s very helpful info. Since they first turned up, I’ve made sure they didn’t disappear down a crack in the floorboards again! Then when I started DE shaving, they had a new relevance!

View attachment 1194928

The blades should have a date code on the back.

Top Bottom