What's new

RIP Robin Williams

Wow, this one is tough for me. It's a sad day. I've been hoping to hear it's some kind of an internet hoax but unfortunately that's not going to happen this time. What a huge loss of an amazingly talented man and from what I've read and heard over the years a really great human being. May he rest in peace.

A truly sad day for the millions who have admired his work for decades. I grew up with him in the 70's, continuing through my adulthood. The staying power of the man in the industry was truly astounding. Depression is a truly devastating illness, and no one knows if or when the day will come when it is just too overwhelming to continue.

Rest in peace.

There are no words. It just seems unbelievable still. He was one of the best comedians. And a damn fine actor too. One Hour Photo was just a total surprise..

Rest in peace, and blessings to your family, Mr. Williams. You were an inspiration to me in several of your uplifting movies.

Man I'm going to miss him. This makes me SO SAD, and the worst part is that the United States is closing it's mental health facilities in droves, so where can one go for QUALITY mental health care besides jail? Such a great man...too young.

One Hour Photo, Jumanji, Adventures of Baron Munchausen, and Popeye are my personal faves. Would have liked to see more from him.

Enjoyed his Mork and Mindy premiere tremendously - still remember the scene at the close of episode 1 where Mindy first met Mork. Had me ROTFL...
Enjoyed his Mrs. Doubtfire too.

RIP

RIP Robin Williams...
Top 3 Robin Williams movies?...Go!
for me: Good Morning Vietnam, Mrs Doubtfire, and Aladdin(thats right I said Aladdin).

A truly sad day for the millions who have admired his work for decades. I grew up with him in the 70's, continuing through my adulthood. The staying power of the man in the industry was truly astounding. Depression is a truly devastating illness, and no one knows if or when the day will come when it is just too overwhelming to continue.

Rest in peace.

Well Said, Sir.

Goodbye, Robin. A lot of us already miss you.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
He will be missed and May He Rest in Peace!

proxy.php
“No matter what people tell you, words and ideas can change the world”. Robin Williams

Last edited by a moderator:
Such sad news. It would be so much easier to grasp if not for the suspected manner of death. I realize the severity of depression and was unfortunate to lose someone to this. It angers me. RIP and prayers to those left behind to suffer this.

Some of my favorite factoids from IMDB, which just seem to speak to and highlight the brilliance (and humanity) of Robin Williams...

When he auditioned for the role of Mork from Ork on Happy Days (1974), producer Garry Marshall told him to sit down. Williams immediately sat on his head on the chair.

After having won the Academy Award for Good Will Hunting (1997), he sent Peer Augustinski (who is his standard German dubbing voice) a little Oscar replica with a note: "Thank you for making me famous in Germany.".

Early in his career, he told a reporter that he was born in Scotland. His original press releases do indeed list Scotland as his place of birth. He admits now that he was "under the influence" at the time he said this. He was really born in Chicago.

One week after Christopher Reeve's tragic horseriding accident, Robin visited him in the hospital. However, he was dressed from head to toe in scrubs, spoke with a Russian accent, and had a surgical mask on. He was acting as if he was a real doctor and did a bunch of wacky antics. After he took off his mask, Reeve stated that, "That was the first time he laughed since the accident!".

He was a very overweight child. As a result, nobody would play with him. He started talking in different voices to entertain himself.

Was voted "Most Humorous" and "Least likely to succeed" in school.

Was frequently called up by Steven Spielberg when he was filming Schindler's List(1993). He would put him on speaker phone so he could tell jokes to the cast and crew to cheer them up. He used his character in Aladdin (1992) most of the time.

Is a huge fan of the Legend of Zelda series since the first game appeared in 1986, and even named his daughter Zelda, after the eponymous character.

Last edited:
This mans passing took me totally by surprise. Of all the work he did I enjoyed Robin Williams best in the 1990 film "Awakenings" in which he plays the role of Dr. Malcolm Sayer. I think that this is one of his BEST works ever. Robert DeNiro also appeared in this very enjoyable film. I cannot recommend this film enough. If you have not seen this film please take some time out of your day and watch it.

This mans passing took me totally by surprise. Of all the work he did I enjoyed Robin Williams best in the 1990 film "Awakenings" in which he plays the role of Dr. Malcolm Sayer. I think that this is one of his BEST works ever. Robert DeNiro also appeared in this very enjoyable film. I cannot recommend this film enough. If you have not seen this film please take some time out of your day and watch it.
I'll second that.

One of the passings that touches the collective nerve. It's hard to believe that a man with that much manic energy is forever stilled, and in such a tragic manner.

I was thinking about Jerry Colonna the other day, a great manic quirky comic of the 40's and 50's that most folks would only know nowadays because so many Looney Tunes cartoons featured his caricature or his catchphrases.

I think Robin Williams will be a part of the popular culture even a half century on, in part because of his great work in films, but perhaps in as the unrelenting years roll by the Genie in Aladdin will keep his memory alive more than any other performance of his.

So I did get a little teary eyed knowing this world lost such an intangible asset. He worked so hard to make others laugh and maybe forget a little of their worries through his charm, charisma and seemingly endless bounty of happiness. I'm very close to those living daily with depression that this only brings the point home and everyone should know it's NOT their fault if this happens to them. One can only manage depression. Not prevent it. That blink in the corner of your eye? He was that light that you definitely noticed going out from this world. Truly a sad day.Man, I'll miss him. God speed Mr. Williams. You did good and thanks you for all your efforts.

Top Bottom