What's new

RIP: Pine Top Perkins

Pine Top Perkins, once the piano player for Muddy Waters, died at the age of 97 on Monday. Pine Top was performing up until the end and attributed his long life to the "Pine Top Diet" which consisted of cheeseburgers, cigarettes and pretty women.

RIP Pine Top...you will be missed.

Will be missed, Pinetop was a bit older when he joined up with Muddy, in his 50's I think. He always looked classy, a gentleman in true B&B image.

So sorry to hear. He was a real player, and I am talking music, not women.

What brand did he smoke? I'll have to get some first thing tomorrow morning!

It's been a sad day in Austin, to be sure. There was an outstanding tribute at Antone's this evening in his honor though! :thumbup1:

Will be missed, Pinetop was a bit older when he joined up with Muddy, in his 50's I think. He always looked classy, a gentleman in true B&B image.

That he was! I last saw him about 5 years ago at a club in Long Beach, Ca. He looked very dapper with a dark suit and a fedora and did an amazing rendition of "Big Fat Mamma with the Meat Jiggling on The Bones". After his set, he patiently signed copies of his current CD on the outdoor patio.

Pinetop grew up and played with Robert Johnson. I mean, it doesn't get much more Delta blues than that. I listen to American roots music on KEXP every Wednesday and I'm sure tonight's show will be dedicated to him. RIP.

Top Bottom