What's new

RIP Dickey Betts

I hate when musicians close to my age pass away. It makes me feel mortal. I was a fan in the early 70s and still have 4 LPs from back then (Fillmore, Peach, Brothers and Beginnings).

It would be hard to pick a favorite band, but if I had to, it would probably be Duane-era ABB. And Dickey was absolutely essential.

There was a rumor that went around that Clapton might join the ABB after Duane died. I'm paraphrasing, but Gregg responded along the lines of, "Why would we want Clapton? We have Dickey Betts."

Sometimes I think Dickey’s contributions are overshadowed by how great Duane was, but when I listen to those first few albums, I’m reminded how good Dickey was in his own right.

RIP, Dickey.

Dickey definitely had his own voice, and was one of only a handful of guitarists worthy of sharing the stage and studio with Duane.

RIP, Dickey. Saw you and The Brothers in 1979 - you rocked Dallas, believe me.

guitarist-dickie-betts-front-row-photographs-.jpg

Here is Dickey front and center on the Fillmore East album cover. A fun back story as to why they are all laughing. The photographer had been trying to get a decent picture of the band and it was just one of those days, not coming together. Then Duane spotted the fellow who supplied him with his drugs loitering in the background. Duane darted between folks, handing his supplier some cash and grabbed a bag of what he had ordered. Then he ran back to his place among the speakers and amps that you see here. It all happened in a flash with the photographer turning and saying, "Hey, what the?" The other band members saw the transaction and by the time Duane returned to his seat they were howling. That is why Duane has his hands just where they are in the picture, he his holding the plastic bag.

915RY60msAL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Saw the Allman Brothers at Winterland, September 1973. We missed Duane but Dickey held the show together nicely.
Great version of Stormy Monday that night. They came back on New Year's Eve '73 at the Cow Palace but I missed that one when Jerry Garcia played with them.

RIP Ramblin' Man

1713492794492.png

Sometimes I think Dickey’s contributions are overshadowed by how great Duane was, but when I listen to those first few albums, I’m reminded how good Dickey was in his own right.

RIP, Dickey.
Agreed.
As we all know, it seems as if we're losing a celebrity/movie star/musician every week. Unfortunately, it's merely a product of the passage of time. And the fact is that many of us here are old enough to remember when these guys first hit it big and then followed their careers for years.
As the old saying goes, "Nobody beats Father Time" and, unfortunately, we're being reminded of it constantly now. Dickey made it to 80. May he rest in peace.

Top Bottom