What's new

RIP Dick Butkus

Butkis could punish opponent players when the ran into him, or he ran then down, some of the hits he put on opponents were great. Today Butkis would be ejected for unnecessary roughness. As football has change to whimps game.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Butkis could punish opponent players when the ran into him, or he ran then down, some of the hits he put on opponents were great. Today Butkis would be ejected for unnecessary roughness. As football has change to whimps game.

Today's NFL players don't play football, they play sportsball. Dick Butkus played football. One of the very best.

"(The) most sustained work of devastation ever committed on any field of sport, anywhere, any time."

He's right there with Chuck Bednarik in my personal list of most fearsome players ever.

He'll be missed.

When I played football in H/S out team was alway 0, and something, or best year 2, and something. I likely Defense, and most fun was hitting, or tacking the opponent you made they no want to cross you path again.

Butkus was in the business of creating memories on people he tackled. Why would anyone with brain want to intentional be target on his radar. Because they were Real Deal Football Players, not PC Football players.

If you had the ball you really, really did not want to see this...

im-863704.jpeg

Smart. Multi-talented. Uncompromising.

Being huge and tough didn't hurt either.

Did I mention charitable and family-oriented? And I am not even a football fan.

Butkus played in an era when football was fun to watch, and there were teams and players to root for. It was a time before prima donnas, huge salaries and games lasting 4 hours ruined it. I was a huge fan in the 60s & 70s, occasionally watched in the 80s, and only turned it on in the 90s when I needed a nap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom