What's new

Rhodium Knot Review

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I've had the pleasure of test-driving a hand-tied brush from an Australian artisan known as "Rhodium Knots", thanks to my friend Steve (@Graydog) who sent it to me for my review and opinion. (The handle was made from another Australian artisan - Tony Forsythe - who has since retired.)

This is a 28mm knot and it is, without a doubt, the densest knot I've ever held. It is a 'hybrid' knot (fan/bulb). It is perfectly tied, beautiful to behold and combined with the gorgeous handle presents an imposing shadow with other brushes in the den. It dwarfs even my other 28mm brushes from Declaration Grooming. It's a massive brush.

After shaving with it twice, using both Stirling mutton tallow soap and B&M omnibus soap, I cannot imagine that there is a knot with greater backbone and density as this Rhodium knot. It is very luxurious, as one might expect with such density, but there is not even a hint of scritch to be found. The term 'wall of badger' must apply to this brush if it ever applies at all, and the tips of the brush are incredibly soft. It does appear to be slightly processed, but it only gels ever so slightly and does not have the 'mush' as some gel knots.

All those good things notwithstanding, I found it to be almost TOO dense in that it took some effort to splay it on the face and some strength to work the lather. I could see some shavers finding the brush to be almost uncomfortably firm.

Those who appreciate and enjoy serious backbone and density should make a point of acquiring a Rhodium knot, though I cannot attest to their availability. I've never tried a Varlet or Black Eagle, but I've tried all other well-known hand-tied artisan knots and this Rhodium has to be the density king.

Thanks again @Graydog for giving me the chance to experience this special brush.
F6489A5B-5651-4BAD-A736-53B657BD9C25.jpeg
2DA8AB69-65EE-4B45-A7BB-D8932A437E8E.jpeg

Nice review, Dan. I have an XD Varlet in the works. It would be I interesting to compare that to the Rhodium or the also elusive Black Eagle.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Nice review, Dan. I have an XD Varlet in the works. It would be I interesting to compare that to the Rhodium or the also elusive Black Eagle.
I’ll be eager to see your review of the Varlet, Trey. Congrats on your patience!

Top Bottom