What's new

Revisted An Old Friend Today - Qed American Gent

Well lads, before we get started on this soap, let me say straight away this is no review. The soap is unobtanium. Charles informed me a couple of years ago the line was discontinued due to retirement of the supplier. More's the pity because Qed's glycerin soaps were the best of their kind I had used.

I have had this soap for at least eight years and maybe longer. While I liked it initially I just never used it much. The jar is still 90% full. I have been earnestly working my way through my soap stash and started looking for some of the more neglected members of the toiletry locker. I immediately spied the American Gent and had at it.

What is really interesting about these soaps is that Charles used essential oils exclusively(not rose and violet versions) for fragrance and any colouring came from those ingredients. This soap was originally a rather light tan-ish colour but over time the EOs have oxidised andnitmis now amber coloured.

Interestingly the scent has morphed a bit too but not so as to change its character. The sandalwoods are muted and the dry citrus is forward now. Charles never really listed the fragrances in detail so better noses than mine would be needed to parse them all out. I would say this is very much an old school barbershop type fragrance though that term is heavily over used. I really enjoyed it. Some sweet note was plain to me but not in a candy or cloying manner. Something like clary sage or maybe petitgrain. I am not sure. There is also a nice floral in there and I think it may be Neroli.

This is a wonderful soap to use and the olfactory senses are well massaged in the process. It made me realise just how special the Qed soaps were. I will finish this soap up this fall and winter before the EOs degrade any further and will not lament its loss but remember the enjoyment it provided.

Its funny you bring up QED, i found a stick of Mocha Java on the back of the shelf the other day. Will have to give it another shot since the scent is quite nice for this fall weather.

Shavewizard, in my own opinion Mocha Java was the absolute best of the entire line. While the scent was fine(kind of a gourmand scent) it was the performance that shined. Something about those two essential oils really worked on my skin. Aftershave feel was awesome.

“Unobtanium,” You LUCKY GUY!! :a14::a14:

Sometimes, ‘shopping in your closet,’ is the best option!!

BigJ, indeed. I also have a jar of Charles' Mysore sandalwood shave soap and to be honest, I have never sniffed its equal. Pure Mysore in an exhorbitant, decadent amount. It too is losing its potentcy and will need to be used up soon. All of the Qed soaps are long gone and it is a shame. All were stoutly scented and only with the nicest oils.

I used the Gent again this morning and after lathering up I dunked the jar in the bowl of hot shave water to rinse off the excess lather and it immediately bloomed out the scent and the sandalwoods(no less than three varieties) in this soap sprang back to life and the room was filled with sensory goodness. These soaps were not the ne plus ultra of shavedom but their scents were. And they could be a bit taxing on the skin due to strength but after the shave all is well. No aftershave and one hour later I can cup my hand over my nose and inhale woods and floral. Life is good this mornimg.

Shavewizard, in my own opinion Mocha Java was the absolute best of the entire line. While the scent was fine(kind of a gourmand scent) it was the performance that shined. Something about those two essential oils really worked on my skin. Aftershave feel was awesome.

Thats interesting. Have heard similar reports of soaps with Pine Tar as a ingredient. Mocha Java is the only one i have tried so will have to take your word for it. Coffee is good for the skin and many facial products contain coffee so that may be helping things a bit.

My favorite QED soap was his Bathtub Gin. Charles' scents were spot on and I really hated when I came to the end of it(actually the 2nd one). Unlike today, QED didn't blast you with items that were going out of stock)-they just would disappear and become unobtainium.

marty

Oh yeah, I remember qed.
I was never a fan of glycerine soaps but theirs was pretty good stuff in terms of performance.

I used one stick up (can't remember the scent) but the second stick (Bay rum) I have away due to irritation.

Their push up shave stick tubes are awesome and the one I kept houses my DIY MWF stick.

My favorite QED soap was his Bathtub Gin. Charles' scents were spot on and I really hated when I came to the end of it(actually the 2nd one). Unlike today, QED didn't blast you with items that were going out of stock)-they just would disappear and become unobtainium.

marty

Hey Marty! Good to see you post.

Indeed, this is the way of it with Charles. No monkey business. You buy it or don't. I need to contact him to see how things are up in Little Rhody.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm glad I've got a tub tucked away in my "3017 rainy days" stash. Cedar, if memory serves.

Ian, I do not detect cedar in the blend but my nose is not reliable at such things. I do find it redolent of a deep and dark floral and lighter sandalwoods. It was much punchier in the woods scents when I bought it years ago. It has morphed as it aged. Charles was never one to give up a scent combination completely and I simlpy do not recall if cedar was a component. Still a fabulous fragrance for the morning shave. We're the lucky ones.

I had a marvelous shave the other day with Mocha Java. The soap had changed consistancy a bit over time making it very soft and was easy to scoop some out of the stick container.

The lather consistancy was very dense (no bubbles) and was not like the lather i have got from other glycerin soaps. This is a good thing since the lather quality was excellent, plenty of slickness and the post shave felt quite nice.

Scent of Mocha Java is a nice mix of chocolate and coffee, heavier on the chocolate IMO. Something different that is perfect for this fall weather.

Shavewizard, absolutely. Charles' glycerin soaps were unlike any other I had tried. Most were not good in my opinion. And yeah, that MJ scent is nice and the A/S feel is very good. Glad you revisited it.

Top Bottom