What's new

*Review* St. Charles Shave "New Spice Cologne"

full

So I decided I would give this cologne another shot - as I had tried Nick's bottle and it was simply ghastly. I just couldn't believe so many people would like this scent so much.... and Nick and I thought it was foul.

Well.... round two - ding ding ding :a11:

First - the good....
This cologne is MUCH different than the stuff Nick had, and I quite enjoy it. It has a very interesting and potent scent to it, quite complex and rich - almost toffee like. This cologne is also a superb deal, and offers tremendous value. Of all of the St. Charles products... this is the best deal.

The bad -
This is a very strong scent, and some found it overpowering and somewhat offensive. Also - the bottle is a little annoying... see dents below...
full

Bottom line.... I like it... a lot. I don't mind that it offends some, as I enjoy it enough that I frankly don't care. I VERY much enjoy this product and will buy it again in the future. While I do not think it is on par with Penhaligons or the like, I do think this is a superb product, and I would highly recommend it!

Last edited by a moderator:
joel said:
...SNIP...

This is a very strong scent, and some found it overpowering and somewhat offensive.

Bottom line.... I like it... a lot. I don't mind that it offends some, as I enjoy it enough that I frankly don't care.
...SNIP...
Maybe we could convince Sue to rename it "Joel's Decision.":lol:

This is the only bottle of cologne I have acquired so far. The rest are all samples.

I love this scent!! Luckily I live in a small, remote town, so the chances of some other guy wearing this stuff here is slim.

Otherwise ... Brokeback Mountain!:scared:

I like it that much!

Tom

Well, after some trepidation, I picked up a bottle of this stuff. I figure for six bucks or so it was worth a try. After arriving, I have to say I was alarmed - this is a seriously potent brew.

I spritzed a tiny bit on my wrist and was floored by an intense scent of caramel, wood, and mint. It dries down to a fruity, leathery kind of scent. Very interesting and different. I wasn't sure if it was my thing.

Then the strangest thing happened. My wife tolerates my cologne obsession. I don't think I have ever put on something that she wasn't ambivalent about. I wear it for my pleasure, with the realization that she doesn't really care for one way or the other. I offered her my wrist to sniff and she said, "Hmm. Not bad." This from her is high praise indeed.

I put one spritz on my chest this morning, and that was enough to last all day. It is decidedly different, as I said, but actually not that overpowering. I rather enjoyed it. It is not Penhaligon's or T&H, but at 1/10th the price or so it is pretty impressive. Kudos to Sue. It might be nice to offer a milder scent, with a higher dilution (call it aftershave strength), though.

Hmmmm.... maybe I got a bad batch like Joel. Neither SWMBO or I liked the scent at all, in fact I gave it away.

Cliff

It is indeed potent stuff! It's definitely one of those "a little dab 'll do ya" colognes. It is not one of my favorites but it is something different to wear occasionally.

I know colognes are a subjective thing and that is why some love this stuff. My #1 choice in colognes is Paul Sebastian for Men. I've used it for years and still love it.

However, SCS products are a great value for wetshavers.

Happy Shaving,

Ron

I love this stuff. Beware though,it only takes one spritz and you smell it all day long. I love the scent (as does the wife) and the price, but would like to see it offered in a clear container.

Top Bottom