What's new

Restricted Diet!

Dr. McDougall covered eczema and other allergic reactions in this newsletter. Notice it's the same elimination diet as before.

PS: I have no connection to Dr. McDougall.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
We tend to forget that the skin is our largest organ. My dad suffered miserably with eczema. Late in life he was diagnosed with lupus. Pine tar soaps and shampoos brought him some relief. Science has come so much further as of late. I wish your wife well my friend. Skin is such a delicate organ sometimes, and so often ignored.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
BT, my wife just came off an eczema food and probotics protocol. It worked. We decided to go this route instead of medications, steroids and antibiotics. We learned that gut health plays into so many of our health problems.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
BT, my wife just came off an eczema food and probotics protocol. It worked. We decided to go this route instead of medications, steroids and antibiotics. We learned that gut health plays into so many of our health problems.
Excellent news. Thank you!

shavefan

I’m not a fan

That's great news and heartening. Congrats to your wife! We are trying the non steroid, etc. route too, fingers crossed. I've waded into grass fed gelatin as I understand that it is excellent for gut health. Haven't done dedicated probiotics, but plenty of greek yogurt/kefir. Presently researching the differences between gelatin and collagen hydrolysate...

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Your wife is suffering from food poisoning. If you have been eating like her, you are also suffering from food poisoning. Your symptoms just haven't become apparent yet. Somewhere about 95% of all chronic diseases are a result of food poisoning.

Let's start with elimination diets. A list of things not to eat is backwards as the list is long. Better to start with a list of things that will keep the body healthy and add something each week if the condition is getting better. Here is the best elimination diet I know of by one of the top four or five nutrition doctors in the world. Ignore the introduction. The same diet will work for any chronic condition that is still curable. (It may not work for infections, but doctors are pretty good with those.)

Given all the misinformation out there, I suggest an expensive shortcut to success. You will likely recoup the money in treatments prevented and drugs not taken. It's a 10-day live-in program and costs $5,450 plus transportation costs. The alternative is about 1,000 hours of reading, watching videos and listening to podcasts to learn why many of the currently popular ways of eating are deadly.

The doctor I prefer is Dr. McDougall because he has been saying the same thing since the 80's. His wife developed the menu for the original Pritikin plan. He been doing podcasts, writing books, making videos, writing newsletters since the 80's, maybe the 70's. I can't find a single contradiction. He references the best studies and in his later books gives links to those studies. He also points people to other experts in the field.

Other doctors I like are Dean Ornish (He proved heart disease could be reversed using this way of eating.) Dr. Esselstyn who reverses very advanced heart disease. Dr. Campbell who did the China Study. (Note: This study did NOT prove anything. It found associations that were researched later.) All of them have shown that cancer can be cured about 80% of the time with this way of eating without chemo, radiation or operations.

To summarize the way of eating:
1. No animal products at all.
2. No oils like olive oil, soybean oil, etc.
3. Eat all food in as close to its natural state as possible (frozen vegetables are fine).
4. Eat about 80% carbs, 10% fats and 10% proteins.

Starches are primarily for calories; vegetables and fruits are for vitamins and minerals. About 80% of the diet will come from starches for those who don't need to lose weight. A little less for those who do. There is no reason to ever be hungry.

If you are interested, I can guide you through the podcasts, etc., but it's not a quick process. Learning the way of eating can take a week or two with complete trust backed up by blood tests a month after strict compliance.

Dr. McDougall covered eczema and other allergic reactions in this newsletter. Notice it's the same elimination diet as before.

PS: I have no connection to Dr. McDougall.

I'll look into it Gary, thanks.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
That's great news and heartening. Congrats to your wife! We are trying the non steroid, etc. route too, fingers crossed. I've waded into grass fed gelatin as I understand that it is excellent for gut health. Haven't done dedicated probiotics, but plenty of greek yogurt/kefir. Presently researching the differences between gelatin and collagen hydrolysate...
Before we started any treatment the doctor ordered two tests. One was a food allergy the other fecal. The food allergy test gave us a chart of all the many different types of from trout to tarragon. Anything that was in the red zone on the chart was forbidden for 6 weeks. The fecal test was to determine what bacteria were present or not. Her results indicated that two of the 4 most important healthy bacteria were not present. So, the doctor prescribed a certain flora, a cocktail of 4 or 5 probiotics.

A couple more ideas... we're big on the various Asian soups, loaded with flavours and limitless options, ramens, Pho's, rice noodles, wheat noodles, egg noodles, udon, soba, beef stocks, chicken stocks, fish stocks, vegetable stocks, flavoured with ginger, galanga, lemon grass, all kinds of vegetables to play with, meats/tofu to add in, various types of mushrooms, garnishes to suit - Thai Basil, cilantro, basil, parsley, radish/daikon, soft boiled/poached eggs, this is where you could get your onion/scallion fix as well as hot & spicy, there's really nice chili/garlic pastes. These soups are great in the screaming heat of summer as well as winter.

Pizza doesn't have to have tomato, tomato sauce, again endless options on white pizzas to explore on the grill or in the oven.
dave

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I also was going to suggest lemongrass. It might help you manage your citrus craving. Lemon basil also is very good, but it's harder to find. You might have to plant it. If sumac is allowed, you might want to check that one out, too. Maybe even Sichuan peppercorns (which are not any sort of pepper).

After that, check out all the other herbs and spices that are allowed. Cumin, coriander, fennel, and turmeric always are on hand around here and are very affordable when bought in bulk. I buy whole seeds, toast them, and then grind them up in a Hario slim.

Cinnamon and cardamom are great spices, too, but use a very light hand with both.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I am already struggling with flavor diversity. The list above, while short, is amazingly restrictive, at least the way I cook. Oy! Any out of the box flavoring ideas are most welcome.

Maybe try it from the other way around, and make a list of all the things that you (ie she) CAN eat, and that can help you and us come up with new ideas and suggestions.

One thing I notice that isn't on your list of "no-no" foods ... cheese. Adding a cheese sauce or adding cheese some other way could really kick up the flavour nicely. Beef and blue cheese is one of my favourites, and a cheddar cheese omelette is always tasty.

I know there's stuff out there to spice up any restricted diet. My dad went salt free for later half of his life and made some mighty fine dishes while he still could prepare his own meals. My brother deals with celiac and he is one heck of a cook (used to do it professionally). I have enjoyed many gluten free meals at his house.

Top Bottom