What's new

Restoring lettring on Shaving Brush

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to restore the lettering on a shaving brush? I was using white automotive touch up paint, wiping excess with a dry paper towel, but it required re sanding and re-polishing, as the paint did not wipe with the paper towel very well. Should I use a slower drying paint? Wet paper towel? Anyone know of a paint that works really well for this? Thanks for any suggestions. This is the one skill in brush restoration I have not fully mastered.

Thanks!

I use black finger nail polish to renumber a fat boy and I would try it it on the brush. I smeared it over the numbers let sit for a few seconds and lightly wiped off the excess with polish remover and a smooth microfiber towel, it works well.

So I went with the Testors. Got a Super Fine Micro brush, brushed it across, and then wiped it with wet paper towel. Still left some thin paint on the surface, so I followed that with a wipe with a Rubberset Tack Cloth. Yep, that Rubberset. Since I am on the subject, I would highly recommend the Tack Cloth. Wipe the handle with it in between stages of sanding, and you will get an ultra smooth finish. Here are my results after three final hand polishes:

Here is what we started with;

View attachment 245320

Here is where we ended up, waiting for a knot, 24MM!

View attachment 245321View attachment 245322 $DSCN1758.jpg

Here is what the tack cloth looks like. It is basically cheesecloth impregnated with a wax like sticky substance:

View attachment 245324

Phil:

Wow, that brush handle looks better than new! Great job! Thanks for sharing and please post before and after pictures when she gets a new hairdo.

Enjoy your shaves.

Phil:

Wow, that brush handle looks better than new! Great job! Thanks for sharing and please post before and after pictures when she gets a new hairdo.

Enjoy your shaves.

Thanks man, this is the absolute best restore I think I have done so far, and the only difference is the wipe with the tack cloth.

Great restore! I think I have one of those handles, but I didn't realize that the red would be orange under all of that gunk. Looks great.

I've used oil crayon (some call them pastels) and I've had good luck. I don't think this would be as durable as paint or finger nail polish though.

I used to use them to color the numbers on my AD&D dice. They work best on things with deep indentations for me.

How about a grout pen? I’ve used one for the lettering on the stem stamping of tobacco pipes I restore, works well. I’ve only used white but I’m sure they come in different colors.

Top Bottom