Restore question -- knot type?

Discussion in 'Brush Making and Restorations' started by pdmcadams, Dec 1, 2010.

    I bought this set off of eBay recently and am contemplating a restore. The Bakelite(?) is in pretty good shape, probably just needs to be cleaned and polished a bit. There is a small crack in the handle that I hope will stabilize with a new knot and epoxy.

    My question is about the knot. Although it looks OK, the hairs are flying out with any manipulation so I need to restore it to use the brush. I like the look and want to put something similar back in. I'm not sure what it is made of. Definitely not badger, right? It is stiff, like boar, but I haven't seen a black boar knot. Maybe synthetic? My quasi-scientific test of holding a hair up to a match makes me think it isn't, though, as it burned more than melted. At least not nylon. I'm not sure what a horsehair knot looks like...

    So, any idea what it is, or what I might use to replace it that would look similar? I know I could put in a badger knot or a black badger one, but is there such a thing as black boar? I have a bunch of badger brushes, but few boar ones, so might be a cool alternative.


    View attachment 134671

    View attachment 134672
  1. put a tgn black badger knot into this and it looks exactly the same :D

Share This Page