What's new

Restorations - I have questions and need help

I have three handles I have completed knot removals on and am looking to get new knots to finish the restore. Here are my questions. Two of the handles measure 22mm for the knot opening. I am assuming I need 21 mm knots. The other measures 24mm so I assume a 23mm knot will work well. Am I correct?

I have a Pure badger brush that does me very well and a synthetic backup brush that is a candidate for a new knot as well. I would like to try something new with at least 2 of the handles. Here is what I am considering: A new Nylon knot in the synthetic (to replace the Omega White Syntex knot), a horse hair in my Stanhome (24mm opening) handle, and either Super or Silvertip badger in the Opal and marble handles.

Suggestions and guidance will be appreciated.

As for your size question, the answer is it depends. Generally, you're right that you'll want a knot with an actual (as opposed to listed) diameter that is 1 or 2 mm smaller than your measured opening. But, there are other variables, especially the size of the "glue bump" above the base of the knot, which can be as much 1, or even 2 mm larger than the listed measurement of the knot's base. The best approach in my experience is to go with a knot of 2mm less than the measured opening, which will be a pretty safe bet to fit. You might be able to squeeze in a knot listed at 1mm less, but again that depends on the size of the glue bump. Going slightly smaller improves your odds of an acceptable fit. A small bit of extra space in the opening is fine, and in fact allows for a fuller bloom if you're going badger.

Now, having said all that, on most handles you can fairly easily enlarge the opening, within reason, as needed to accommodate a larger knot. I use the sanding drum on a Dremel at lower speed to do this; just work slowly, and frequently fit test your preferred knot until you achieve the desired fit.

I've had a few that were actually +3 and 4 above the glue bump and sent them back. Never less than +2, and as a matter of principle I won't enlarge the original hole to fit a poorly sized knot.

Top Bottom