What's new

Replacement for Valobra Unscented hard shaving soap?

Hi, does the new D R Harris soap ingredients list start with " Potassium Palmate, Sodium Tallowate...." ? Thanks!

I think what you mention is the old version, while the new one starts with: Sodium Tallowate, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Aqua (Water), Glycerin...

Check the DR Harris site. Arlington, Almond and Lavender have the new formulation ingredients, while Windsor still has the old ones.

I think what you mention is the old version, while the new one starts with: Sodium Tallowate, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Aqua (Water), Glycerin...

Check the DR Harris site. Arlington, Almond and Lavender have the new formulation ingredients, while Windsor still has the old ones.
Thank you very much Sotiris_A, I needed to know which ingredients list would show the new D R Harris formulation, and you kindly confirmed that for me, so I need to look for the list that has 'sodium tallowate' as the first ingredient. After discontinuation of Valobra, I'm switching to Harris for a triple-milled tallow soap with light scent.

And what a great community of support and help this 'Badger and Blade' is....

Once again thanks for everyones help in choosing a replacement unscented hard soap for the discontinued Valobra.

First soap purchased was the Meißner Tremonia Puristic Style Shaving Soap (hard). I got this one direct from Meißner Tremonia in Germany, so I could have the very nice glass container it comes in.

So how did it go, very well indeed is the short answer. Lathering directly in the soap container it is very easy to get plenty of lather very quickly, but then we do live in a very soft water area.

Initially, at least, the lather did not seem as thick or creamy as that which I can obtain from the Valobra. The Meißner soap seemed to produce a slightly thinner micro bubbly type of lather. But any concerns I may have had on this score were soon soothed by actually shaving with the soap. It more than makes up for that slight lack of lather thickness in its’ slickness – it gives one very slick shave. Perhaps it is the Moroccan Rhassoul Clay and Argan Oil? Whatever it is, I can say that the amount of micro cuts I experience has greatly reduced compared to Valobra. It also leaves a nice smooth feeling on the skin post shave, where you find yourself stoking your face for no apparent reason…

The smell is well sort of soapy clay I guess, to my nose it does not really smell of anything but soap and that is fine in my book. I’ve never quite understood the use of highly scented shaving soaps when you are probably going to add some nice cologne when you have finished? Perhaps people don’t use cologne?

So there you have it, Meißner Tremonia Puristic Style Shaving Soap – will I keep using it... yes. Will I try some other soaps... perhaps, but I think I may just of got lucky on my first attempt. So I’ll probably stick with the Meißner for now and I’ve already bough another puck from Connaught Shaving for my travel shaving bag.

For reference:
  • Razor is OneBlade Genesis with Feather blades
  • Proraso pre shave cream (White -sensitive skin)
  • Proraso liquid aftershave cream (White -sensitive skin)
  • Proraso Synthetic brush
  • Chanel Pour Monsieur Eau de Parfum
I hope this can help someone else in the same boat as me. I did not think you could better Valobra, but it seems you can.

Last edited:
Actually my ususal shaving brush is not a Proraso, but an Omega HI-BRUSH synthetic fiber shaving brush, apologies. I also have a Silver Tip Badger brush for travel. I could not seem to edit the above post to correct it?

Top Bottom